Who Needs Z7's High Resolution

Real Name
Steve
I shoot for regional lifestyle publications, the designers get my edited but uncropped files. They often crop or shift the subject around to allow for headers, text, smaller inset photos, or graphic elements. I give them the biggest, sharpest file I can to enable them that luxury. They like not having to come back to me for a new crop, especially under the stress of meeting a deadline. They love that and they keep me busy.

Real Name
Andy
I seldom print larger than 16x20", which pretty much any modern DSLR or mirrorless camera suffices. Examining the three 20x30" prints that I have on my wall, I am more than satisfied with the detail rendered in them, both from normal viewing distance and with a loupe. One of them is from a 24MP D750 file and the other two were from a 16MP micro 4/3 (Olympus E-M1) files.

So, I just sold my Z7 (still have a Z6, which I really enjoy).

YMMV, but 24MP is plenty of resolution for my current needs, and I think the pricing for Z7 bodies will drop faster than my needs for one arise.

more pixels, older whiskey, faster horses....

You can never have too many pixels.... Seriously, todays lenses will resolve to about 100M pixels so if you can have low noise and lots of pixels then you have more options. Want lower noise, the bin the pixels to a lower res. Want to crop, then have at 'er. Yes there are big files, but XQD cards, ram and big hard drives are cheap now. I remember when I bought a 64K memory card for $850.00.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"mom, you are such a technophile.... Just give me my D500 20MPxl camera and the 500PF and I am happy..." - Georgie Beagle

I think the second part of this is valid, but perhaps not the first.

The Z6 outperforms the Z7 at high ISO because of the larger size of the photo sites on the lower resolution sensor.
If you downsize the Z7 image to the Z6 image size in the real world you will be hard pressed to tell the difference. The main contribution to the noise is shot noise which is due to the random nature of the photons impinging on the sensor. Yes, if you zoom to 100% there is some difference or if you use Raw Digger to look at the width of the histogram then you will see a small difference. I currently don't have access to a z6 and z7 to collect some data but perhaps others could collect the data?

Cheers,

"shot noise, thermal noise, amplifier noise... I need ear protection...." - Georgie Beagle

If you downsize the Z7 image to the Z6 image size in the real world you will be hard pressed to tell the difference.
My primary bodies are the D850 and D5. In low light situations I can duplicate the D5's high ISO performance in my D850 shots by resizing the 45 mpx D850 images to the 20 mpx resolution of the D5. The combining of D850 photosites to equal the number of D5 photosites appears to create very similar signal to noise performance.

Real Name
Andy
If you downsize the Z7 image to the Z6 image size in the real world you will be hard pressed to tell the difference.
My primary bodies are the D850 and D5. In low light situations I can duplicate the D5's high ISO performance in my D850 shots by resizing the 45 mpx D850 images to the 20 mpx resolution of the D5.
I’ll defer to both of you on this and stand corrected. Since I often shoot at higher ISO with only modest cropping, the 24MP sensor seems to hit the sweet spot.

I’ll defer to both of you on this and stand corrected. Since I often shoot at higher ISO with only modest cropping, the 24MP sensor seems to hit the sweet spot.
Hi Andy,

If I was going into a low light situation and I had a choice of the Z6 or Z7 I too would choose the Z6 as no binning is necessary, I have shot with the Z6 and it is a wonderful low light camera.

Cheers,

"the right tool for the Job, you can never have too many cameras or lenses...." - Georgie Beagle

Real Name
Steve
When I read this, I thought, "It'll never be better than the Df, the best low light camera I've ever used." But then I compared its "Sports" rating on DXOMark (I know, this is a suspect reference source for many, and not solely a low-light measurement...) and the Z6 DOES rate ever so slightly higher. To me, that's pretty good company, up there with not only the Df, but with the D3s and D4s! I may have to reconsider a Z6 as a second body!

When I read this, I thought, "It'll never be better than the Df, the best low light camera I've ever used." But then I compared its "Sports" rating on DXOMark (I know, this is a suspect reference source for many, and not solely a low-light measurement...) and the Z6 DOES rate ever so slightly higher. To me, that's pretty good company, up there with not only the Df, but with the D3s and D4s! I may have to reconsider a Z6 as a second body!
The dynamic range of the two cameras is virtually identical except below iso 250, where the Z6 has about a stop advantage.

With 90% of my images being taken on a Z7 with the kit lens attached, I find that I don't want to faff about changing lenses and carrying a big kit bag (most of my images are taken whilst out walking/hiking), so it is great to have all those pixels around if I my subject is a bit further away, so I can compose knowing that I can crop in heavily during PP and still retain detail. I probably could have gone with the Z6 but I had the money at the time so went with the 7 and glad I did, it is a lovely camera, works really well with the 24-70/f4, is small and light compared to my old DSLR and I take it everywhere. No need to upgrade for many, many, many years, if ever.

For my purposes the high resolution cameras, i.e., Z7 or D850, are all about the ability to crop and still get a highly detailed image. Since my 17-35 lens is well past it's prime, I've toyed with the idea of getting a Z7 since mirrorless appears to be the wave of the future but for right now I'm standing pat with my D810 and the lens that I have. Nevertheless, the next upgrade will be to another high res camera.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom