Who owns both D4 and D800?

I'm still torn whether to get the D4 or D800/E; or is it just a matter of which one to get first? I am interested if you have both and would like to hear more about your impression particularly if you are coming from a D700 camera. What does it feel like other than a lower bank account balance? Thanks. :biggrin:

What does it feel like owning both the D4 and D800?

It feels like,

like Victory!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Although I would love to own both, I will settle for my D800 when it finally arrives. If I could justify buying the D4 for shooting sports, I would get both. I don't think either camera will disappoint.

Whoever has both should dual-wield them, get a pic taken with huge lenses and shades on, then post it on up here. Caption would read: LIKE A BOSS.

It would be like having two exotic sports cars. Which one do I drive cause I can't drive both at the same time.

W

Wileec

Got the less expensive half of the equation - just awaiting the second one. Hopefully B&H will get more of the big bodies soon - and send me mine! Please . . .

You mean these bad boys?

6987940145_800d552e78_c.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No not mine, from a studio party I was at and NPS was there with a couple of D4s and D800s for us to play with.

Hoping to get my units next week.

Well, I'm sure a few select people have ordered it already and are just waiting for them to arrive just like everyone else. Somehow, even with the higher price tag, it still feels like we are spoiled with such selections.

Looking forward in hearing your thoughts about the two Sam. Thanks.

I'm 2/3 there with my D4. A photographer friend I shoot for has order one. Hopefully he will one one soon. We have a couple good project coming this year. Seem like the best of both worlds with the duo

Well Glenn I saved myself a ton of money and bought a good used D3s - and it's awesome also my bank account is still healthy :)

Hi Sam. Congrats on your D3s. :biggrin:

I'm 2/3 there with my D4. A photographer friend I shoot for has order one. Hopefully he will one one soon. We have a couple good project coming this year. Seem like the best of both worlds with the duo

Wow! Congrats. Are you using your ipad to control your D4?

How is the performance of the D4 compared to the D700? Is it a big leap? Thanks.

Real Name
Colin Carter
with all due respect to AndyE, thoes shots do not show what the d4 or d800 should be capable of.

they are snap shots, and could be taken with any camera

what i want to see from the D4 shots is a sequence of sports / bird flight shots that are all in focus and also that the sequence of shots would not be possible with the d3 / d3s.

the d4 is a sports camera and we need to know what it can do, that a d3 / d3s cant otherwise we are wasting our money upgrading.

the d800 is different and is all about ultimate resolution, this is going to be a camera that we need to test ourselves because shots posted on forums etc dont show what the camera is capable of .

Real Name
Tony Admana
with all due respect to AndyE, thoes shots do not show what the d4 or d800 should be capable of.

what i want to see from the D4 shots is a sequence of sports / bird flight shots that are all in focus and also that the sequence of shots would not be possible with the d3 / d3s.

the d4 is a sports camera and we need to know what it can do, that a d3 / d3s cant otherwise we are wasting our money upgrading.

the d800 is different and is all about ultimate resolution, this is going to be a camera that we need to test ourselves because shots posted on forums etc dont show what the camera is capable of .

I agree with Colin, the images on the German link doesn't really look that much difference from any other regular camera shots. :confused:

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
However Andreas is a very good photographer, check out his D800 portraits and you get a very good idea what the D800 can do:

Go to bottom of page for D800 folder: http://www.pbase.com/andrease/nikon

BTW here is a bing translation, it has some interesting points in the behaviour of the cameras:

I was not sure, on what thread I it should stick post (D4 or D800). It was a separate thread.

Vienna had a beautiful spring evening today. Because I had to on the Sweden square, past, I stopped short and wanted to try something simple. How do you the two new cameras away from test charts and analyses in the photographic "everyday life"? Here: The Sweden square. No test, no testing, nothing at all. Take only pictures. Of the same scene with two cameras when possible.

Thus, a 50 mm lens was screwed on both cameras. The D4 got the AFS 50 mm / 1.4 g together and that the D800 the AFS 50 mm / 1.8G. Both cameras were set exposure mode A, the ISO to 3200, and the aperture on 2.
NR, ADL, etc was shut. AF, WB and exposure did the respective automatic.

A few casual comments:
It was striking that the D4 is seemingly generally brighter than the D800 illuminated. I know about the not reproduzierbarkeit (andreasb: repetable), but almost all images of the D4 are around 1 / 3 level lighter. Interesting.
The view of the D800 seemed brighter to me
The weight of the D4 helped to verwackeln less photos (andreasb makes for a more stable shooting platform)
The AF of both cameras is very good
The monitor of the D4 has a dünklere (andreasb: Darker) factory setting
At ISO 3200 and the output size is very little difference
Judge please no sharpness. I photographed from the hand.
The links of the images are always the respective 1920 x 1280 pictures. NR in camera on OFF, in CNX2 on OFF. Only down-scaled. No other editing

Pictures come in the second post...

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure any of that really matters. If you are not getting good shots or a decent keeper ratio with a D3 the D4 really isn't going to matter. I guess if you do a spray and pray shooting style the D4 will increase your odds of getting more keepers. As great as the D4 is working pros will find the improvements marginal at best.

Real Name
Colin Carter
I'm not sure any of that really matters. If you are not getting good shots or a decent keeper ratio with a D3 the D4 really isn't going to matter. I guess if you do a spray and pray shooting style the D4 will increase your odds of getting more keepers. As great as the D4 is working pros will find the improvements marginal at best.

thats what i meant, im getting pretty much a 100% keeper rate with my D3. What i want to see are photos that i couldnt get with my d3, not photos that could have been taken with any old camera.

im at the stage where i want to see big improvements before i upgrade not little ones.

Latest threads

Top Bottom