Who to contact at the newspaper for paparazzi style candids?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Steve S, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    There's a lot going on around town this next week with our 37th annual 3 Rivers Festival. I plan to attend some of the more interesting events, to get some "photographic exercise", and was wondering who I might contact at the local newspaper to offer some of my shots to? Does it pay anything worthwhile?
    Also, would it be a good idea to identify myself with some sort of nametag, displaying my name, and that I'm a freelance photographer? That way ppl might not think I'm some kind of nosey perv. Well, they might anyway! ;) Where could I get something like that?
    Here's one from last yr's opening parade entitled "End of the line". This was the last person to finish the long parade route.
    original.

2. JordanLFW

JordanLFW Guest

Re: Who to contact at the newspaper for paparazzi style cand

Your D2X should be good enough :wink:

3. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Re: Who to contact at the newspaper for paparazzi style cand

It really depends on the paper. Generally I'd suggest talking either to the photo editor or the editor in chief (if it's a smaller paper and you can easily reach them). The problem is that the local papers usually pay diddly squat for freelance shots, regardless of how rare or exceptional they may be. Off the top of my head, I know the local weeklies pay something like $18 for the 1st photo, $12 for 2nd, and less and less for more shots from the same location. That's provided they even use them. And don't forget that they usually purchase all rights to the photo.

As for identification, your gear should differentiate you for the most part. I've only had to show press credentials at one public event (well, aside for using them to get in the door). I was photographing some local girls dancing at a get together, and the mother wanted to make sure I wasn't some sicko. Generally when shooting kids I simply explain to the parents what I'm doing and always ask permission. This is almost always enough.

If you need credentials, I'm not sure what you can do. I guess you could make a name tag, but I don't really wear my name unless I'm at something with high security, like a professional arena. Furthermore, a home made ID could work if it looks official, but some may be skeptical if it doesn't list a specific paper. It's really the luck of the draw. If you don't care what others think, just snap away. Someone who is concerned will ask you about your business, and they can't do much more. If it's in public on public property, technically you're fine. In all seriousness, though, I've only had that one problem, and that actually occured AFTER I asked the mother for permission. I've never been approached by people. Just look professional, that's my biggest suggestion.

Hope this helps.

4. I have been shooting for my local paper 10 years.

upto 5 years ago I got payed for photoshoots
    now I give my photos to the paper... now I have press ID through the Sherrifs dept. and Press plates for my car.
    and so much more....
    Trade shows, CES and SEMA in Vegas.... It really has more benefits then trying to get $20-50-100 for a shot

Free add in the paper for my photography Weddings and portraits... and When I'm out shooting
    I meet people and have met new paying clients :)

Make friend with the papers editor... it can be a great source
    and keep the ideas flowing

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanx Mike, & Bill, I do like the idea of offering the s

pro bono. Getting a few bucks for my work would be nice, sure, but I'm much more interested in having some type of credentials, and looking like I belong at an event, you know, there for an official purpose, instead of just some guy with an expensive camera lurking around every corner. :? I really do think that having some sort of press credentials would would open a lot more doors for me, so to speak. Many more ppl would actually want their pics taken. I'll give a ring to the Editor tomorrow morning & see what he has to say. I'd be more than willing to take on any assignment he might want to give me. I got nothing but time, and this 3 Rivers Festival runs for 10 long days. Surely the newspaper could use another photog somewhere!