Who uses 2 bodies (DX and FX)?

I have an FX body and love it. There are times, however, that I'd like a longer reach than my 70-300 can provide. Have been thinking of a new lens, but the >300 options are not all that great or affordable for me.

Partly as a result, I've been thinking of adding a D300 (or D300s) as a 2nd body. I could then get the reach and also potentially be able to shoot with 2 different focal lengths on 2 bodies without changing lenses.

I'm not a pro so I can't write any of this off.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from those who use 2 bodies (FX plus DX) to hear about your experiences. Some questions to address include:
- How often do you take 2 bodies with you given the hassle/weight factor.
- What do you find most useful about shooting with 2 bodies? least useful?
- etc..

Thanks for any and all insights.

I usually use my DX bodies. In those cases where I need a stronger body or the chances of damage are there (sandy beaches, etc), I will bring my FX body instead.

But in my current workflow I prefer DX over FX - my DX bodies simply give much better image quality (especially high ISO) than FX for me!

When I got my D700 I decided to keep my D300. I use the D300 mainly in two instances. For sports shooting when I like the extra reach that it gives my 70-200 (or in other instances when I need that extra reach), and for when I want to go light. I took the vertical grip off my my D300 and placed it on the D700. I can now put the 18-200 on the D300 and have a light/compact setup.

A

andrew wilson

I almost always shoot with two bodies - there isn't time for lens changes in a lot of the stuff I do. Sometimes FX sometimes DX - but I rarely mix the two.

Sometimes I use D700/D300 combo. My go to kit lenses are the 17-35 and 70-200.

When I know I am covering something that would benefit from the wide angle FF of the D700 and the extra zoom of the 70-200 on the D300, I use a two body combo.

If I have an assignment where reach is not so critical, I will just use the D700 and switch out the 17-35 and 70-200 accordingly. Most the time I wish I had another FX body to shoot with instead of a DX body.

I prefer using FX as the it performs much better in high ISO situations.

As an owner of a D300, I wouldn't buy one as a second body unless you just need the better sealed body. I bought it before I bought the D700. If I lost the D300, I would buy a D90 or D5000 as a replacement.

Well I don't have an FX camera but I do use two bodies, my D200 and D50. The D50 I keep around because it is so light and small compared to the D200. I think I will always keep a smaller body around with me.

I also use both FX and DX. I usually have my wide lens on my 700, and the 80-200 on the D80. Sure they are completely different, but in good light the D80 is great.

I was at the National Air & Space Museum Dulles Annex (Steven F Udvar-Hazy centre) a few weeks ago with my D200 and 14mm lens. It wasn't wide enough for some shots so today I was back again with my father for his birthday and took my FX body, an F100. :tongue: Shot two rolls with just that lens of Fuji 400 Superia. Look forward to getting my 16.8 megapixel scans back from NCPS. :smile:

My D700 has completely eclipsed my D2H. Only once this year, during the G8 summit in Italy this July did I use the D2H and that's just because my D700 battery was a bit low. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have used the backup at all.

Looking though the D2H's viewfinder just seems so limited and cramped compared to a normal 24x36 viewfinder, that alone makes it hard to use both formats for me (let's not even speak of image quality :wink: ).

A

andrew wilson

Ok the viewfinder isn't as good - and the screen is a lot worse - but you learn to trust it and the results (from a D2Hs) are worth it. D2Hs has a different quality - if I was forced to keep only one body - I think it would be a D2Hs. Hard to believe - but probably true.

Image quality - at least for press use - is no different - unless you are working in very dim light - D2Hs is great up to 1250 - OK - I know that's nothing compared to a D3 but still good.

Ok the viewfinder isn't as good - and the screen is a lot worse - but you learn to trust it and the results (from a D2Hs) are worth it. D2Hs has a different quality - if I was forced to keep only one body - I think it would be a D2Hs. Hard to believe - but probably true.

Image quality - at least for press use - is no different - unless you are working in very dim light - D2Hs is great up to 1250 - OK - I know that's nothing compared to a D3 but still good.
I've learned to ignore the D2H's screen altogether as well but I wouldn't ever keep it in place of the D700 if I had to chose. Focusing manual lenses at 1.4 on the D700 is a breeze and is something I never did on the D2H.

I sometimes had to push the D700 up to 6400 ISO and my agency would have had very few photos had I been using the D2H at that time :tongue:

No for me there's no coming back to DX, ever !

A

andrew wilson

......but then I don't have to choose - - - and I use both! Wonderful!

I have an FX body and love it. There are times, however, that I'd like a longer reach than my 70-300 can provide. Have been thinking of a new lens, but the >300 options are not all that great or affordable for me.

Partly as a result, I've been thinking of adding a D300 (or D300s) as a 2nd body. I could then get the reach and also potentially be able to shoot with 2 different focal lengths on 2 bodies without changing lenses.

I'm not a pro so I can't write any of this off.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from those who use 2 bodies (FX plus DX) to hear about your experiences. Some questions to address include:
- How often do you take 2 bodies with you given the hassle/weight factor.
- What do you find most useful about shooting with 2 bodies? least useful?
- etc..

Thanks for any and all insights.
I use a d3 and a d300. The biggest plus for me is not changing lenses. I generally have my sigma 24-60 on the d3 and the 80-200 afs pr 300/4 afs on the d300. I pretty much take two bodies wherever i go. I'll lighten the load by taking some of my lightter lenses but i still take the two bodies. I have no problem with the weight.

I currently have a D300 and a D80. I plan on picking up a D700 later this year. The reason I am getting the FX and still keep my DX is that I plan on carrying two cameras. The FX with a 24-70 and the DX with the 70-200. I think its a good combo for weddings without having to swap out lenses very often.

I have a D200 and D700. I've only had the D700 for about a month and haven't touched the D200 since...except for cleaning it. I have a deal with the local youth football team this season for selling prints, so I'll probably use the D700 with 300f/2.8 and the D200 with 70-200. I'd also like to start doing small weddings, the D200 will work nicely with that also as a back up.

But in my current workflow I prefer DX over FX - my DX bodies simply give much better image quality (especially high ISO) than FX for me!
I'm assuming when you say FX you're referring to your FE film camera?

Today I shot an event, bringing 2 cameras (DX and film) and another lens. Between carrying all of that around and changing lenses, I must say it usually isn't worth the hassle. I probably missed a bunch of shots because it was so annoying to keep changing everything. But maybe in a different environment it could work.

I do and I love its versatility. Use a D3 and a D2x.
My dream kit is a D700x with a 24/1.4 and 85/1.4 w/c should also give me a 36mm. and 130mm. FOV on the D700x's dx mode. A one camera, 2 lens kit that will do it all. Well, almost, add 50/2 Zeiss macro and have everything covered.

For what it's worth I plan on using both in the near future. I currently have to DX bodies but am planning on getting the D700 for it's low light performance. I have a mixed bag of glass some of which is waiting to get attached to the D700.

I shoot FX and DX. I almost always have my D700 with the 28-70 2.8 (that's my workhorse lens) or my 14-24 2.8 for really wide. And then my D300 with the 70-200 2.8 for it's reach. I love the flexibility of having FX and DX. I would like to add another FX body to my kit. I'd still live to get a pro body like the D3 :)
I'm a total gear whore...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom