Who uses 2 bodies (DX and FX)?

I'm assuming when you say FX you're referring to your FE film camera?

Of course. Since this was posted in general and not in DSLR I did not assume that specifically digital cameras were targeted :smile:

Real Name
Alex
I shoot with a D300 and occasionally I carry the D80. Plan on getting a D700 when I can, and selling the D80., Then I'll have the best of both worlds, D700 for street photography, landscapes, and D300 for wildlife.

i prefer to work with one camera its easier
but if i had the money i would have another D700 as a backup
would find it difficult mixing formats.

Mainly use a D700 but also have the D90 with me also 90% of the time. I actually prefer the D90 over the D300 in general because of size and weight.

Is there really a significant difference in image quality between the D700 and D300 (at 200 iso)?

I have an FX body and love it. There are times, however, that I'd like a longer reach than my 70-300 can provide. Have been thinking of a new lens, but the >300 options are not all that great or affordable for me.

Partly as a result, I've been thinking of adding a D300 (or D300s) as a 2nd body. I could then get the reach and also potentially be able to shoot with 2 different focal lengths on 2 bodies without changing lenses.

I'm not a pro so I can't write any of this off.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from those who use 2 bodies (FX plus DX) to hear about your experiences. Some questions to address include:
- How often do you take 2 bodies with you given the hassle/weight factor.
- What do you find most useful about shooting with 2 bodies? least useful?
- etc..

Thanks for any and all insights.

I use both my D700 and D200. The D700 is the workhorse but for the times that I need the extra reach then the D200 comes out. The extra weight is really not that big of a deal to me since my traveling kit is already close to 30 lbs the extra pound or two of the D200 is really not that big of a deal.

bloody hell rex k i couldnt carry that much!

though in my army days we carried much more

past injuries have caught up with me i have to give a lot of thought and carry only what i need

Seems to me that carrying around two bodies + lenses is really excessive. Does one really need that much gear to take good photographs?

I think for the amateur photographer, a single body and 1 or 2 lenses should be sufficient for most situations. If I had to lug around 30 lbs of gear every time I go out, I would be reluctant to take my camera at all.

Seems to me that carrying around two bodies + lenses is really excessive. Does one really need that much gear to take good photographs?

I think for the amateur photographer, a single body and 1 or 2 lenses should be sufficient for most situations. If I had to lug around 30 lbs of gear every time I go out, I would be reluctant to take my camera at all.

Some amateurs do have more gear than some pros, makes you wonder :tongue:

Carrying 30lbs of gear is an exaggeration, but I see your point. When I have a photo assignment covering a news event, I have two lenses, the 17-35 and 70-200. When you have two lenses, you are carrying another bag anyway. If I use two camera bodies, I don't use a bag. The other camera is the backup that holds another battery and card, so I don't need the bag. I was at the beach covering a story and didn't feel like switching lenses in the sandy environment so a two body system was great.

Excessive to me is someone who will take one camera and then carry a bag that holds as much of their lenses, batteries, and flashes as possible which can be over thirty pounds.

If I am shooting just for fun, two lenses is the max if I am shooting FX, and my 18-200 on DX if I really want to travel light.

D3/d300/d2x

I use two bodies, D3 and lately a D300, previously aD2X

I shoot sports (surf) and after switching from the D2X (really ran into a brick wall when trying to shoot high ISO) to the D3 missed the extra ' reach' of the DX format.

So I got a D300 for the crop facor, the better Auto ISO, and the higher pixel count compared to the D2X in HSC mode. Must admit I don't really like the D300, but I guess it's because I never used a consumer/prosumer body for serious work (I do have a D70S with 18/55 kitlens as a carry-around, lovely little camera)

Miss the snappy AF, and immediate shutter response compared to the D1/2/3 series. And after the D3 using high ISO on another camera never is the same.

Very recently got a 600mm, which works great with a TC on the D3, so am considering selling the D300 and maybe get a D700 to work with my old manual lenses.

If the IQ of the D700 is in the same class as the D3 (and general opinion seems to confirm that) a D3/D700 combination would unbeatable for my kind of shooting.

And I can always use the D2X if I really, really need extra reach ( Imagine a D2x in HSC mode with a 600mm+1.4TC = virtual 1680mm :tongue: )

The D3x (and D700x when it comes) has made the Dx crop mode really useful.
Like having a 1.5x teleconverter without the 1 stop penalty in lens speed. That 10+ mp in dx mode is plenty. 24-70/2.8 for all intents and purposes functions like a 24-105/2.8 lens.
95% of my shots are taken at those focal lenghts.

Real Name
Randy
I usually use my DX bodies. In those cases where I need a stronger body or the chances of damage are there (sandy beaches, etc), I will bring my FX body instead.

But in my current workflow I prefer DX over FX - my DX bodies simply give much better image quality (especially high ISO) than FX for me!

dx better than fx for high iso ?

Latest threads

Top Bottom