Whoo hooo!!! finally got my 70-200 vr

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bohdan, Oct 12, 2005.

1. I suppose that I'm part of a cult now! Have been waiting for this for 3 months....hard to get up here in Northern Ontario...Now to learn how to use it..Any advice, tips links etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bohdan

2. Forgot to mention....that I pretty much gave up on getting the 70 -200 vr because of the availability etc. so I order a used Nikon 180 ED f/2.8 . And guess what ....yes they both arrived on the same day...Now I have to think about unloading a lens or two?

Bohdan

3. First advice for the 70-200: turn off computer, put lens on camera and go outside, for starters!! LOL
    Secondly, reading the manual does help! Then, when shooting, you'll actually hear the VR click in and you'll see the effects through the viewfinder. You should give it time to activate and work, then press to shoot. Once you get the hang of it, it'll come as second nature to you. Half press, see/hear it working, press for shot. In the evening while watching TV, you might want to use a rubber ball for finger muscles, and a small weight for arm muscles because once you really get going on this baby, your arms are gonna feel like linguine for the first while!! LOL I combined this setup and strenuous kayaking in early spring and I cd barely lift my arms after the first few days.
    You are going to have so much fun with this lens, and it marries very nicely to the TC14E-II for very sharp pics. Enjoy your new toy and don't forget to show us what you've got!

4. Thanks for your feedback Sandi...I have played with the lens a little this morning ( on my coffee breaks of course!) was a little dissapointed at first to see some blurry pictures. but then realized that I still have to be mindful of shutter speeds....at 1/2 second vr does cause blurring handheld.. Doh!...

Then got back to reality and took some test shots with a more reasonable shutter speed setting..The lens looks good! can't wait for a good day ( raining outside now) to put it through it's paces... It is on the heavy side....but have to do weights daily to compensate for neck vertebrae any way....so here's my workout..

Thanks again

Bohdan

5. Just make sure you have a very good tripod to hold this baby.

6. This is a very good reason for buying this lens :biggrin:

Welcome to the club, it's a very very nice lens and you're gonna love it.

7. Spend more money and buy a Canon 500d close up filter. Works awesome with the 70-200mm VR and gives you a ton of flexibility with the VR. You will luv the lens, my fav of my small collection :smile:

original.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    A tripod for a lil ol 70-200VR? No way. I shoot mine handheld regularly at the zoos, and while I hate it being around my neck for such a long time, the handholding part is a piece of cake. And beleive me, I'm no muscleman! Congrats Bohdan!

9. If you use a tripod, it is recommended you turn VR off, with a monopod I leave it on. But I almost always shoot handheld with this lens, that's the reason you bought VR, right?

The bokeh is better with this lens than any other I own. Shoot at f/2.8 and you'll see. It's hard for me go to below 1/15 or 1/10 sec, but I'm happy with that. Of cousre the object can't be moving at that speed.

You are going to love it.
    Greg

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Don't hold the D70....hold the lens....it's too heavy for the mount on the D70 (or any other?) I carry mine on the camera in a "case" I made from an old carry-all and some bubble-wrap. It's just the right size.

But seriuosly, be careful about the mount with such a long, heavy lens on the D70....I miss being able to hold my camera at all, and I'm "restricting myself" to the 24-120VR for now...can't wait to use the 70-200VR again!

11. That's a wonderful pic, Keith. Thanks for sharing. With the 500D, how close can you go? I know without it, the VR focuses at around 5feet away.

12. Thanks Sarhento.......... Im thinking the 70-200mm focuses around 8 ft as I really struggled shooting hummers with it closer, hence why I just bought an extention tube for the spring :smile: but If I was to guestimate, 20-22" inches is about where it is at with the close up filter. Here is a couple shot of a hummer with the close up filter, took allot of patience. LOL
    got to luv the 70-200mm VR

original.
    original.

13. Thanks everyone for your encouragement and advice...Went out today with the 70- 200 It was a dull day..waiting game with the sun behind dark clouds..
    Used a monopod but mostly handheld...not bad...1/15 and some 1/10 second without blur...Love the lens...my problem is my D70!
    The Autofocus just doesn't autofocus....it tells me that it's in focus with the beep and the solid circle but it is obviously out of focus and I end up finishing with a manual override.

Its not just this lens I've noticed this problem for a while 3-4 months...and have been shooting in Manual focus for a while....noticed after getting it back from service from Nikon for a cosmetic fix...nothing to do with focus...So I suppose...back it goes. I've been reluctant to part with the camera up until now..

Bohdan

14. First..congrats...and yes...it is indeed a cult!

second...to disagree...VR at 1/2 does NOT cause blur...shutters open for 1/2 second cause blur....DUH is right. :wink: Actually some VR users are guilty of holding the expectation that VR defies physics...no such luck. Early on I was one of the 24-120 VR owners who expected it to do the impossible. The real problem with photography (not a VR fault) is that subjects move. Double DUH. A 4 year old moving at 10 feet per second isn't going to be made sharper by the wonderful 3 stop VR magic. I can tell you are far enough along the learning curve that there is no big surprise here.
    I'm kidding mostly.
    Not kidding when I say that 90% of the money you spent is for exemplary glass...10% for the VR electro-wizardry.
    The lens is a pinnacle of modern photo-tech. Enjoy.

BTW I want a 180 2.8. I don't need one but I want one. Let us know on the for sale site if yours is.....for sale that is...... :rolleyes:

15. Thanks Vernon for putting things in perspective...yes reality has set in ( it was just a brief departure that I experienced.....) and reafirm my belief in, and put into practice my understanding of the laws of physics.. my enthusiasm has been grounded somewhat ...and I am coming to appreciate the quality of this lens. Now if that darn autofocus could be fixed....but that means sending the camera away.....maybe after next weekend!

As far as the 180 goes...Its the non D version ED 1.8 - the plastic one that wasn't so popular when it came out....optics are supposed to be still very good.

Suppose I should in all good conscience try it out for a week or so before I decide to sell...

Thanks

Bohdan

16. My first test shot was kinda of neat. I bought the lens at a local store near a major intersection. I put it on 1/15s to see what would happen. I thought I had gotten ripped off because the picture was blurry. I actually wasn't. The cars driving through were blurry but the buildings in the picture were rock solid. Its a great lens and I've tried to push the lens to its extremes. I took a picture of two Barn Owls at a local zoo under extremely dim conditions with only a single warming light to see by. I set the camera to 1600 iso shutter at 1/8s and f/2.8. Granted I ended up with a picture full of noise but I ended up with a picture that I would never have otherwise gotten. Have fun with it.

17. pcjr

pcjr

Sep 19, 2005
    California
    I spend most of my time taking soccer pictures. I hand-held my 70-200VR for a few weeks before I started using a monopod. I wanted to get my arms used to the extra weight for those situations where I needed to hand-carry.

While shooting, my left arm is supporting all the weight. I let the tripod mount rest in the palm of my left hand and can easily adjust focus or zoom by just moving my fingers and leaving the rest of my hand stationary.

When walking around with the camera, I hold it with my right hand (by the lens or tripod mount) to give my left arm a break.

I always support the weight by the lens instead of the body of my D70.

Before I invested in the 70-200VR, I spent about a year with the (much cheaper) 70-300mm f/4-5.6G. I miss the longer reach, but enjoy the better clarity and speed. I find myself moving more with the action along the sidelines instead of remaining stationary. I'll probably get a TC someday.

I have also found that, if there is plenty of light to support fast shutter speeds (at least 1/1000 or higher), I turn the VR off. This makes the camera "react" much quicker and it is easier to catch the shots I want.

I have had mine for only about 7 weeks and would welcome any tips as well!