Who's reviews do you read/watch?

Real Name
Rodney
I used to read Thom's reviews and also dpreview. I'll admit, cough cough, even Ken Rockwell, but with a grain of salt.

Lately now though, I find myself on YouTube more than anything. I like Fro Knows Photo.

Where do you go for gear reviews?

I used to read Thom's reviews and also dpreview. I'll admit, cough cough, even Ken Rockwell, but with a grain of salt.

Lately now though, I find myself on YouTube more than anything. I like Fro Knows Photo.

Where do you go for gear reviews?
The ones you mentioned. Nasim Mansurov and the Northrups I take the Northrups with a great deal of say what sometimes. I use YouTube a lot but am starting to become tired of the Ads that have 2 in a row or every few minutes. I know they need to make money but they do sometimes stop me from watching

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I don't follow regularly any reviews - except Steve Perry. For anything else, I research whatever I'm interested in.

The ones Nick mentioned and Steve Perry, Brad Hill, Roger at Lens Rental.

But frankly I learn as much from users on NikonCafe and Fred Miranda.

Real Name
Andy
Steve Perry - Just great stuff. Videos are technical enough to satisfy my inner geek, practical enough to put to use in the field. His books are even better. But you probably already knew that!

A couple others that I follow on YouTube:
Morten Hilmer - A wildlife purist. I love the hushed, genuine excitement captured in his videos.
Thomas Heaton - Wonderful landscapes. Real methods. No preoccupation with gear, just a keen interest in the artistic process.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I'm a visual learner and would much rather watch a video than read an article or a user manual where I often lose focus and don't gain much.

I've been watching Thomas Heaton and am enjoying his YouTube videos very much. He shoots Canon, but his landscape photography tips and experiences are so enjoyable.

I found Hudson Henry's YouTube info on the Z6 very helpful.

Maarten Heilbron on YouTube is good in learning how to use and setup your camera. He is very thorough. I just watched his video on using a Z camera for video. It was most helpful since I am new to video.

I enjoy Attilio Ruffo. He is also a landscape photographer with some good tips and reviews and uses Nikon. He also has video shooting and editing tips.

Steve Perry is awesome as many have mentioned.

Peter McKinnon is fun to watch. He is probably making a lot of money from his entertaining videos. Sometimes there is not much content but mostly just entertainment.

Chelsea and Tony Northrup are becoming very annoying to me. I think they often give out bad info....like one video that said that Polarizer's are unnecessary. That just isn't true if you are shooting landscape photography. They do have good videos on going through the menu systems for the cameras. I have just wondered lately if they are secretly being sponsored by Sony because they love the Sony cameras and Chelsea just switched from a D850 to a Sony mirrorless.

Can't stand Theoria Apophasis, his ego is so annoying.

like one video that said that Polarizer's are unnecessary. That just isn't true if you are shooting landscape photography

There are lots of uses for polarizers in many kinds of photography including candid portraiture, cityscapes, architectural and tabletop photography. Any time a polarizer eliminates or minimizes glare, it's useful and that can easily happen in a variety of situations.

Chelsea and Tony Northrup are becoming very annoying to me. I think they often give out bad info....like one video that said that Polarizer's are unnecessary. That just isn't true if you are shooting landscape photography. They do have good videos on going through the menu systems for the cameras. I have just wondered lately if they are secretly being sponsored by Sony because they love the Sony cameras and Chelsea just switched from a D850 to a Sony mirrorless.
I agree. They are chasing the money, have become pompous and I simply don't trust anything they say.

Can't stand Theoria Apophasis, his ego is so annoying.
Indeed, as is true about too many U-tube stars :mad:

There are lots of uses for polarizers in many kinds of photography including candid portraiture, cityscapes, architectural and tabletop photography. Any time a polarizer eliminates or minimizes glare, it's useful and that can easily happen in a variety of situations.
Exactly!! Here is the video I referred to. They must have received a lot of heat from that video because they said not to make any comments until you watch the follow-up video.

I listen to Chelsea and Tony Northrup when I exercise, but usually not more than 3 days in a row as I get distracted by the ads and the commercial aspect of some of their podcasts.
I read Hogan's and Rockwell's blogs.
I like the British Journal of Photography's reviews.
I recently added lots of Youtube feeds:
Dave McKeegan makes me laugh, I like Brendan van Son, Thomas Heaton, Shoot film like a boss, Realworld, Mike Perea, David Allen, Alyn Wallace.
Photopills is a must.
The one I rate above the rest is
Brenda Petrella Photography
For me she manages the right balance of demonstration, theory, practical examples, tips, not too long, very engaging. My go to for astrophotography.

Last edited:
For landscape like to listen/watch Thomas Heaton, Adam Gibbs, and Fototripper (Gavin Hardcastle).
For gear mostly Steve Perry, can't stand Chelsea or Tony Northrup. Will on occasion watch the Adorama or B&H offerings depending on who they have presenting. B&H content usually is over an hour and they have had some great portrait, and nature photographers as well as lighting professionals.

For landscape like to listen/watch Thomas Heaton, Adam Gibbs, and Fototripper (Gavin Hardcastle).
For gear mostly Steve Perry, can't stand Chelsea or Tony Northrup. Will on occasion watch the Adorama or B&H offerings depending on who they have presenting. B&H content usually is over an hour and they have had some great portrait, and nature photographers as well as lighting professionals.
Thanks. I forgot about the Adorama and B&H offerings. I've watched them in the past and they've had good programs. I'll have to check them out again!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom