• I'm sticking with CS6 and updating LightRoom

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I'm going for the cloud $9.95 monthly LR/CS forever deal

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • I can't trust Adobe, I've moved on.

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was pretty vocal when Adobe did the cloud thing, bought LR5 and thought it and CS6 would be the last Photoshop I'd buy. but $120 a year for both, until I quite (and I'd still have CS6 and LR5 to use), they might have hit my idea of a reasonable price as they are saying it is a "forever price".

So here's the Poll:

I once had an excellent cellphone/internet plan with pricing 'for life'. It lasted about 2 years.

Where did you see it was for life? When I check the aussie site the pricing is:

$49.95 per month - New Customers
$29.95 per month - First year for existing customers.

At these prices Im better off buying LR seperately and remaining on PS6

If I could get it for $10 a month I'd be all over it. There really is no justification for the huge price difference internationally for a cloud service.

Thanks for the link I had not seen it.

IF the price is similar in Oz I'll go for it. I might not be eligable though as the version of PS6 I have is the Student / Teacher. Will have to wait and see.

I was on the Adobe support site, both the live chat and on the phone and they weren't able to provide me with much information on whether PS Elements users were going to be eligible for the upgrade or not. I would suspect not, but that would be unfortunate.

I wonder if I were to sign up for the $19.99/month subscription of PS CC, then cancel it (30-day money back guarantee) and then convert to the new price if that would land me at $9.99? :)

I'm very interested at this price, but was hoping that I could get in the deal with a version of elements or even the CC route.

Scott

Rent? Ask yourself..... what are you renting now - that you have been renting for a very long time - and still at the same price you originally rented? (Or subscribed?)

I'm moving on.

There really is no justification for the huge price difference internationally for a cloud service.
You're right about the price thing but it is not a cloud service. It's a rental license.

A cloud service would mean software running in the browser using server delivered software (with part of the data processing perhaps done on a server too) and storage online.

Adobe itself keeps voicing surprise why people thing that "creative cloud" is a cloud service and not ordinary desktop software (with a for-rent licensing model), and I can't blame them. Why do people keep thinking it's a cloud service? [/sarcasm]

You're right about the price thing but it is not a cloud service. It's a rental license.

A cloud service would mean software running in the browser using server delivered software (with part of the data processing perhaps done on a server too) and storage online.

Adobe itself keeps voicing surprise why people thing that "creative cloud" is a cloud service and not ordinary desktop software (with a for-rent licensing model), and I can't blame them. Why do people keep thinking it's a cloud service? [/sarcasm]
You're absolutely right. What it really is, is an monthly rental licence to use digitally delivered and maintained software. Still doesnt explain the hugely different pricing structures. They are not charging GST so no addtional tax, no addtional physical presence so no wages or overheads...Infact a parlimentry enquiry in Australia found that the Australian market gets overcharged by lots of overseas digital provides and recomended that consuminers find legal ways to circumvent regional restrictions :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you see anything from adobe locking that $9.95 price in for some period of time, post it. My worry is this is a baited hook, get you signed up and then raise the price.

I plan to pick up LR5 and any other LR that remains cloud free. I have cs6 and have no want to upgrade it. To be honest, since getting LR4 I stopped using PS for 99% of my work.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Australia expensive?

Copied this from the official Dutch Adobe Site:
Lidmaatschap op jaarbasis voor
€61,49
per maand
That means 61,47 Euro = 81.17 US$ a month.

I think there must be a mistake somehow???

Only Photoshop is just 24.59 EUR a month = 32.47 US $ a month

Price list: here.

For me its time to look at GIMP or other free stuff. In The Netherlands at least I think this Adobe stuff is getting a bit too pricey (for a normal consumer, can't speak for a professional!)

Almost didn't see it: prices are without the dutch sales tax of 21% !!

Australia expensive?

Copied this from the official Dutch Adobe Site:

That means 61,47 Euro = 81.17 US$ a month.

I think there must be a mistake somehow???

Only Photoshop is just 24.59 EUR a month = 32.47 US $ a month

Price list: here.

For me its time to look at GIMP or other free stuff. In The Netherlands at least I think this Adobe stuff is getting a bit too pricey (for a normal consumer, can't speak for a professional!)

Almost didn't see it: prices are without the dutch sales tax of 21% !!
21% sales tax!!

OMG, and I thought Canadian HST of 13% in Ontario province is excessive.

Price is guaranteed for the first 12 months only - from the faq at Adobe's site.
I'm not reading it that way: "Customers who sign up by December 31, 2013 will be able to continue their membership. This price is not a special introductory price for your first year only; it is the standard price for this level of membership. But if you cancel your membership in the future, you will not be able to re-join at this special price."
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html#pslr-bundle

I'm on the fence. One the one hand, I think $120/yr is a pretty fair price for what amounts to annual upgrades to Lightroom and Photoshop. The 20 gb of cloud storage isn't really enough to factor in, IMO. It boils down to whether or not I am willing to endorse the software-as-subscription model, and to commit to it essentially in perpetuity (or at least until something comes along that I like better than Lightroom).

I rarely use Photoshop at this point, Lightroom with the Nik plugin suite addresses nearly all of my requirements. I'm not sure the few times per year I use Photoshop justifies going all in on the subscription model. Throw in the ambiguity around the cost potentially changing some time down the line, and uncertainty over how long Lightroom will be available as a non-CC application, and I am having some trouble deciding the best course of action for me.

In other words... I dunno. How's that for decisiveness? :smile:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom