Whose going somewhere (finally) ?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
FWIW.......my mom turned 90 in May. We live in Tn - she lives in Calif. Soooooo....we hooked up the 5th wheel and drove to Calif! Spent a nice 2+ weeks with her for her birthday, then came home via Moab and Mt Rushmore area.

I am planning to drive to Calif again next year, with a week each at the Grand Canyon and Death Valley on the way. Coming back we have reservations to visit Yellowstone for a week in mid-May.

(Also we were extremely fortunate to go to Tanzania THIS year! We flew home March 19.....just as airlines were discontinuing flights to the USA. We felt much safer in the Serengeti than during the 36 hours of air travel to get back home!)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Very carefully rebooking my trip to Istanbul and Budapest that I was supposed to have taken in April of this year. I’ve scheduled it for May, 2021. Everything is refundable, so if I need to cancel for any reason, I will be able to do so. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I’ve been doing some local trips no more than a couple of hours outside of St. Louis. Last week was Hannibal, Missouri; this week will be to Chester, Illinois. Being that I am in the Midwest while my family is on the East Coast, I have missed a couple of weddings and family gatherings that I wish I could’ve attended. However, with the pandemic, I could not take the risk.

Real Name
Andy
Just because someone puts on a mask when they show up at the airport does not mean that have been taking any precautions against exposure before that. When that person pulls it down below their nose or removes it entirely for one reason or another, and they will, all bets are off. For those that have the choice and flexibility, please consider your plans carefully.

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm guessing most of us are done w/ beaches (unless it's for photography), an
Just because someone puts on a mask when they show up at the airport does not mean that have been taking any precautions against exposure before that. When that person pulls it down below their nose or removes it entirely for one reason or another, and they will, all bets are off. For those that have the choice and flexibility, please consider your plans carefully.
I agree 100% and no way I'd get on an airplane, bus, train,.....
But there are asymptomatic people everywhere NOT wearing a mask so for me this comes down to, can I be as safe in my house or another house, and the answer is clearly NO but the difference can be mitigated. While in St Augustine we will continue to not go to restaurants or grocery stores, wear a mask when out and disinfect our hands all day. I'm lucky in that the places I want to be are outdoors. We rented a house near lots of walking so we can walk and stay 15' away from other humans.
If you'd have asked me in March if I'd be in Florida in November I'd have said no way. My personal circumstances are different in that where my health is now my lifespan may be limited and I can't sit here and wait anymore.....
And I can eat fish and shrimp for 5 days (seafood in NC stinks, literally)

Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel I can be every bit as safe in a rented vacation home as my own house. My behavior is the same in both houses, so there's no reason for me to believe they aren't equally safe.
You’re counting on the last cleaning and last guests whereas at home no one has been in my house but us

JLH

When we rent a vacation home, we clean all the handles, countertops and the like before doing anything else. We also use our own pillows and pillowcases brought from home.
Same here. The agency does a great cleaning but we bring our own stuff and go over everything we will touch again, just to be sure. Plus, we open it up and get lots of fresh air. One can die from the stress of worry (so my doctor tells me). We use due care and take nothing for granted.
Oh, and I have beautiful shots of the sun rises on the Outer Banks. Also love the night time sky looking out over the ocean.

We went to Bethany Beach, DE the week after Labor Day. Stayed in the Residence Inn. Marriott provided detailed instructions in their cleaning protocols and guest guidelines.

We felt comfortable in the room and around the hotel. We brought food in every night but one. The one night dining out was our first out since early March. It was a small venue with limited separation. We were a little uncomfortable and decided to keep to our take out or in home meal prep for now.

Hope to rebook our Scotland/Ireland trip we postponed from May 2020........

Christmas and Spring Break are all booked with hotel reservations in place. BC local mind you.
Had regular and frequent Provincial travel all year regardless of Covid.

Last edited:
Now that my wife and I have returned from our last trip, we need to plan another one. We decided on that trip that we can comfortably drive about 500 miles in a day and that we would probably not want to drive more than two days in a row without stopping to do some sight seeing. So, I drew two semicircles on a map with each one indicating where we can go within one day and where we can go within two days. We don't have a compass, so I awkwardly used a string and revised the two semicircles after spot checking a few places in Google Maps.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom