Why $2400 is a great price for the 70-200VRII

Folks,

Greetings. I know that $2400 (or thereabouts) as suggested retail for the 70-200VRII is a lot, but in some ways it is a great price. If some reasonable amount of those purchasing this new lens are upgrading from version I then it maintains a market for used version 1's at $1400-1600 (which is about how much many paid for this lens) from the current version I price (B&H) of $1900.

Unsure about shelling out $2400 (particularly if you have a DX camera)? ... buy a used version I at $1500.

What if Nikon priced the vII at $1900 (the same as new vI are now)? The remaining stock of vI's would be unsold and the used market would go to... what $1000-1200?

Pricing as they did Nikon actually preserved the exchange value for the current owners of vI's. They should be thanking Nikon. (er, Thanks, Nikon! :biggrin:).

If the new vII for FX is what the vI is for DX (or better)... I'm there and a vI will be on the market (er, maybe, my 200f2 seems to be stuck on my D3 at the moment :wink: ).

Anyway, my 2 cents...

Cheers,

-Yamo-

Maybe so, but I don't purchase lenses for their cash re-sell value, but the value they can give me.

If VII is to FX what VI is to DX and Nikon kept both in production with this reasoning, how many FX users would still get the VI with all it's "faults" at the cheaper price?

L

LSSE

how many FX users would still get the VI with all it's "faults" at the cheaper price?

those already hauling the VR1 may decide diferently, If I had to buy this lens for the first time, no way in hell I'd get the VRI. 400 bucks price difference over the lifetime of the lens, a good 6 - 8 years is chump change. If I had to get it and were short in cash I'd just go 3rd party or 80-200.

That's a good point Yamo. I doubt this will happen, but it could have an initial high price point just to make sure the existing 70-200 stock gets sold out and then maybe the new 70-200 will come down to what the current version is priced at now. Like I said, I doubt it would happen, but it makes sense.

Folks,

Greetings. I know that $2400 (or thereabouts) as suggested retail for the 70-200VRII is a lot, but in some ways it is a great price. If some reasonable amount of those purchasing this new lens are upgrading from version I then it maintains a market for used version 1's at $1400-1600 (which is about how much many paid for this lens) from the current version I price (B&H) of $1900.

Unsure about shelling out $2400 (particularly if you have a DX camera)? ... buy a used version I at $1500.

What if Nikon priced the vII at $1900 (the same as new vI are now)? The remaining stock of vI's would be unsold and the used market would go to... what $1000-1200?

Pricing as they did Nikon actually preserved the exchange value for the current owners of vI's. They should be thanking Nikon. (er, Thanks, Nikon! :biggrin:).

If the new vII for FX is what the vI is for DX (or better)... I'm there and a vI will be on the market (er, maybe, my 200f2 seems to be stuck on my D3 at the moment :wink: ).

Anyway, my 2 cents...

Cheers,

-Yamo-
Self-convincing is a powerful weapon. Maybe we should call them and complain why it is not $9500 as that would increase our gratitude even more by not only preserving price for current copy but raising it even further later?

I'm not convinced. Old glass is just as good with current cameras. I think people are too caught up to own the latest and greatest.

Totally agree. I could never justify buying the new 70-200 when it costs almost two and a half times more than the 80-200.

He who dies with the most toys is, nevertheless, still dead!

Regards,
John

Since I dont own the original 70-200. I will be layin out the dough for the new one. Mike

It'd be nice to have a domestic camera brand. Maybe it might actually be cheaper to have state-side domestic manufactured camera glass.

Something like General Cameras?
I think in the long run that would be very expensive, by the time of the bailout. :tongue:

It is going to be interesting when Photozone tests the the new lens and shows it is the same optical quality as the old one. Nano and flare are not really measured in their tests. AF might be better. Bokeh? Now we are talking but it won't be like the 200mm F2 will it?

It's a lot of money. Going to be interesting to see what prompts people to buy it. Maybe Nikon is testing how much people will pay and adjust future pricing accordingly.

Tom

I am sure the 70-200 VRII will be a great lens, but $2,400 is a bit much. I purchased a new VRI version for $1450 in 12/08 and see no reason to upgrade. If I get soft corners in my D3 shots, I'll crop them out.

Regards...JL

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom