WHy A Grip?

I see people act that grips are just part of the camera when they own a pro model. Like its a no brainer, but I just don't understand the reason for it. From what I gather it seems like it makes thew FPS better, but how many really need this. Also extends battery life but I find the battery life on my D300 and now my D700 to be great. I have 4 batteries and just take those in my bag with me. I have never had a battery issue.
So why does everyone who gets a good camera also get the grip?

For me it is certainly more comfortable to hold the camera in Portrait orientation with the shutter button in a more natural position in this mode. Plus I feel that it can potentially minimise the risk of camera movement induced by poor posture. While the extra battery life and increased FPS are a bonus they are secondary in my case

I just don't understand the reason for it.

- It makes the FPS better
- Also extends battery life

- allows for AA batteries
- Vertical shutter
- as mentioned above, its adds weight, stability, and a place to stick your pinky
- as with above, grip adds some counter balance when using larger lenses

I just feel more confident with my grip on, there is so much more camera grip to hold on to. Plus I have slight carpel tunnel so holding the camera in vertical mode for any extensive period w/o a grip doesn't feel good.

It flips my turtle, :)

For me it is certainly more comfortable to hold the camera in Portrait orientation with the shutter button in a more natural position in this mode. Plus I feel that it can potentially minimise the risk of camera movement induced by poor posture. While the extra battery life and increased FPS are a bonus they are secondary in my case

+1. I like having the bigger camera. It fits into my hand better and like Tony said, it is more ergonomic when shooting Portrait Orientation. I also shoot weddings so to have the extra battery in there for another 2000-2500 shots is helpful. I go into a every wedding with fully charged batteries, but it is still nice to know that I have a backup without having to stop and put another battery in.

A buddy of mine (Pretty_mik3 as he is known on the cafe) has D700 like I do, does weddings as well, and does not use a grip. It goes both ways. In my opinion, it doesn't really make the camera any heavier so you don't lose anything there...

And another almost insubstantial reason I have it is besides everything already mentioned, More people will get out of the way and let you take a picture, if your camera is bigger than everyone else's (super helpful for weddings) :biggrin::biggrin:

Tony - you don't get an increased frame rate with the grip on a D90.

I use mine for stability. My macro gear gets very front heavy with the tubes, 180mm and flash hanging off the lens. THe grip helps balance it out so I'm not always fighting it. It balances perfectly with the grip.

I also can not shoot my macros in portrait orientation without the grip. I can't contort my arm the way I need to and still be able to get focus, so the grip helps a lot there too.

Mine has nothing to do with extra battery life and I don't even own a second battery...though I do use the AA slot sometimes.

Tony - you don't get an increased frame rate with the grip on a D90......
Nate - Thanks for that :smile:......I told you it was secondary and I did not realise I did not have it :biggrin::redface:

- Vertical shutter
- as mentioned above, its adds weight, stability, and a place to stick your pinky

I just feel more confident with my grip on, there is so much more camera grip to hold on to. Plus I have slight carpel tunnel so holding the camera in vertical mode for any extensive period w/o a grip doesn't feel good.

+1...or is it +2...bah...I AGREE!

- Vertical shutter

I agree with this. I tried one and really liked it. Its not to make a person look pro as far as I am concerned. I like the idea of being able to use AA batteries as well.

Well its good to hear why people use them but it shows me I don't need to buy one personally. I am someone who doesn't want extra weight or size, and I don't do a lot of action shooting.
I am trying to figure out how it helps with vertical shooting. I can't visualize but next time I see someone with it I'll try it out

I hate grips and I don't use one

- It adds bulk, which defeats my purpose of choosing the D700 over the D3 to begin with (smaller size)
- Adding a grip means I can't use some of my bags with it
- It adds weight. I need to be light when hiking
- As a heavy tripod user, the MB-D10 adds "flex point" to the L-Plate, since the plate only connects to the grip and the grip connects to the body.
- I don't need 8 fps. I don't shoot birds, I don't shoot sports, and I don't shoot events.
- It attracts unwanted attention "wow, that's a huge camera", etc
- and lastly, it feels like there's this huge rock hanging under the camera

I am trying to figure out how it helps with vertical shooting. I can't visualize but next time I see someone with it I'll try it out
Well instead of using the camera like this notice the elbows sticking out which do nothing to aid holding it still
http://digitalslrphotographyguide.net/images/ice-holding-pentax-km.jpg

Of course you could hold it upside down? - but this always feels uncomfortable to me
http://aureophoto.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/mg_8289.jpg

To me this is a more natural hold and I can easily tuck elbows into my body to aid in steadying
http://www.photoreview.com.au/news/productnews/E-5_vertical-grip.jpg

Of course it is of no use imo if you are shooting using a tripod. In fact this thread has just reminded me why I used to like using 6x6cm so much - only one camera orientation :smile:

I shoot a lot of youth rodeo with my D700. Each rodeo last 6 hours and a lot of times there are two per weekend.

I would have a serious hand cramp if I didn't have a grip as 90% of my shooting is vertical. Also, I need the extra battery power to shoot for 12+ hours.

I purchased a D7000 a couple of weeks ago and bought a grip for it too. I found the body too small for my hands and like the extra grip I get on the camera.

Tony, I noticed another problem with the first 2 images you just posted, they are using a Canon! Of course taking pictures will be uncomfortable when shooting with those horribly ergonomic little buggers :tongue:

Thats besides the point. The images do a good job of showing how the lack of a grip effects angles for shooting in portrait orientation. However, the second image doesn't do a good job or demonstrating how you are able to support the camera with a grip.

Here is a self portrait of some random person on Flickr that demonstrates the support you can achieve with the grip. (in contrast to Tony's first two images)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fredrege/1527906644/

Real Name
Rodney
I have very large hands, I can palm a basketball. So the grip makes it easier to hold, and especially when using longer lenses like the 70-200. Also the ability to use AA batteries in a pinch is a life saver.

.... However, the second image doesn't do a good job or demonstrating how you are able to support the camera with a grip...
Scott the second one is showing a camera without a grip but holding it so the shutter button is at the bottom which should make it easier to keep your elbows into your body.

Like your image but not familiar with the Nonac range of cameras - are they any good :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom