Why a zoom lens works so well for sports

Real Name
Randy
D300 + sigma 120-300 Sport at 2.8

The 120-300 stays locked on fast moving action amazingly well, even when zooming, maybe as good as any Nikon lens I have used and this was on a 7 year old body

The shots below are a combo of individual shots and some small bursts, who can remember:confused:

Zenfolio slideshow sequence

http://www.carolinasportsphotography.com/p60079847/slideshow

W

Wileec

I really like using the new Nikon 80-400 for fast action, too. It's light enough to handhold, yet with good technique, it tracks well and can get capture great shots with the D4, or D800, and I get the flexibility of a zoom, which is nice when distance to action can change quickly.

Real Name
Randy
I really like using the new Nikon 80-400 for fast action, too. It's light enough to handhold, yet with good technique, it tracks well and can get capture great shots with the D4, or D800, and I get the flexibility of a zoom, which is nice when distance to action can change quickly.

f/5.6 isn't enough for me for BG-s

Nice work Randy. I would love to know how well it does at night. Any chances you will be using that lens at night with the D4?

I've had great success with the old 120-300 DG at night on a D3s so I would hope the AFS would be a bit better with the sport version.

And I agree on the zoom part. If you can get the mechanics down, you can get those those shot of the qb rolling out to pass and then get the shots of the receiver down field that happens to be closer to you than a prime would allow. Or something like a sweep where you get the nice isolation on the RB and then get the tackle that that takes place close to you on the sidelines.

Real Name
Randy
Nice work Randy. I would love to know how well it does at night. Any chances you will be using that lens at night with the D4?

thanks Matt there's always a chance it would have to be soccer and there are some new high school stadiums with better lights so maybe but the lens was purchased to be used with the D 300 for daytime soccer

Real Name
Randy
I've had great success with the old 120-300 DG at night on a D3s so I would hope the AFS would be a bit better with the sport version.

And I agree on the zoom part. If you can get the mechanics down, you can get those those shot of the qb rolling out to pass and then get the shots of the receiver down field that happens to be closer to you than a prime would allow. Or something like a sweep where you get the nice isolation on the RB and then get the tackle that that takes place close to you on the sidelines.

very much like the 80 to 400 this new zoom allows you to get shots you never got before

Latest threads

Top Bottom