Why are 600 afs 2 lenses so hard to buy?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Allan, Jun 11, 2007.

1. People are debating whether to switch from Nikon to the new Canon. If I switch, it will not be because of a camera but rather the 600 lens. I would like a 600 afs 2 lens but there are none to be found. Why are they so hard to buy? It is easy to order and get a Canon 600 with IS the next day.

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I Think the Issue Is

They make very few of these and make them in runs.

Recently, the 400 and 500 varieties were out of stock everythwere although they were as of last wee once again in stock at B&H?

3. I think they are clearing the chain to make way for the new VR lenses......

Also don't bother going to Canon, because with the 1.3 crop instead of the 1.5, you might as well get a Nikon 500mm.

Anyway I wish you the best, but quite frankly once the VR versions are announced there will be plenty around and for stupid prices. In the mean time, try joining Nikon Pro and you can borrow one. That's what Alex Cena is doing while he waits for the 600VR.

GenoP

PS: I am waiting for an AF-S 500 4 VRII.

4. 1. 600 vr wouyld be great - of course. Actually, I would not purchase a new one now - just a good deal.

2. I had a Canon - the 2x tc actually works with a long lens - at least for stationary objects.

Allan