Why are Lightroom colors different than Irfanview?

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by 1FASTZ, Jun 15, 2007.

1. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    When I'm viewing my shots, I typically use Irfanview to scroll through them. I've noticed that if I want to edit a photo using Lightroom, the colors in the original capture appear to be different than when viewed using Irfanview. This is on the same computer with a calibrated monitor. Is there a profile adjustment within Lightroom that I just haven't been able to find that might be causing this??? It just doesn't make sense to me. I actually trust the Irfanview colors more because they seem to agree with actual printed photos. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty

2. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    I'd check your working colour spaces first.

3. Hi Marty,

First I know nothing about Irfanview but what colour space is it using? Is it using the jpeg preview from your NEF files? Are you shooting jpeg?

Second LR uses its own colour space which is not used by anything else I believe. Now this ought not matter if your system is set up correctly. Do you have a preset you are using or are you using the default or "zeroed"?
    If you could answer these questions I may be able to offer some pointers.
    Also what OS do you use?

Cheers

4. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hey Geoff,

1) I'm not sure what Irfanview is using but I'm guessing that it's sRGB.
    2) I'm shooting jpeg.
    3) For presets, I suppose that I'm using the default, but not really sure. Are you referring to the presets for processing??
    4) OS is WinXP.

One thing to add is that the camera was set to Adobe RGB and I think this has something to do with it, because if I compare Lightroom to Irfanview with a photo captures in sRGB, they look the same.

My concern is that if I do some PP in lightroom with a shot that was taken in aRGB, my final colors aren't going to be correct. I couldn't find a proof feature in Lightroom.

The issue that I'm observing is that skin tone appears to have more orange in it when viewed in lightroom versus irfanview.

Thanks for helping...

5. Why not set the final output to sRGB? I do this to all my jpg's when I am done with PP and during the color profile conversion, I can't honestly see a huge difference enough for me to keep them in aRGB and have other's that view them see them in the wrong colors.

6. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jimmy,

I played around with it a little more and found that if I export the file to sRGB, it then looks the same in Irfanview as it does in Lightroom, so it must be that Irfanview's color space is sRGB and it was causing me the confusion when viewing a file in aRGB.

I now feel better about knowing what the final output is going to look like.

Thanks to all who have helped with this.

7. afx

afx

Jan 16, 2006
    Munich, Germany
    Because IrfanView is not color managed at all, just like most web browsers.

cheers
    afx

8. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    LR uses ProPhoto for its working space odds are this is why you are seeing the deferences

9. It seems that the answer is clear now.
    Remember also that LR is primarily a raw processor and that the jpegs you have are already processed by Nikon in camera. I shoot raw only and don't seem to have the problems others do.

Enjoy LR !!