1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Why can't nikon make a good compact?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sagar, Jul 5, 2008.

1. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    I remember days, when Nikon was producing quite good compacts but in recent months if not years, I have not seen a single really good compact from nikon.

With there know how about lenses and camera, I can't belive they can not make it? so keep wondering is it because nikon don't want to focus on too competetive market with lens margins?

2. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    They've been cranking out three high-quality SLR's in the last 12 months - with two more (the D90 and the D3x) likely in the pipeline.

R&D resources are limited, and obviously, something's gotta give...

I don't think it is a secret that Nikon wants to concentrate on SLR's. They even stated it in the presentation of their yearly results: "we want to focus our efforts on the high end market" (at least, something along those lines). Most tealeaf analysts at dpreview forums think that Nikon means D3 and D700's when they mention high end. Personally, I think they mean the SLR market (as they explained two sentences earlier in the same document that "high end" means SLR as opposed to P&S).

Margins in the P&S market are extremely low and you can only make good money there if your production numbers are sky high. Canon dominates that segment, and as they are one of the few (I think that Panasonic is the other) players in the market that build their own cameras they make a good buck out of it.

Sony doesn't make their own cameras, but they have the volume. Nikon doesn't and unless they pull something amazing out of their hat (an APS-C sensor Gino, for instance) I don't think they're going to be big in that market.

I don't think that there is brand loyalty when moving from P&S to SLR, so it is not really a segment that Nikon needs anymore. In the past, yes, as you needed that segment to create volume for brand recognition. But with DSLR's being available everywhere, I think that they're going to aim to be an "SLR only" brand, with a very small selection of P&S cameras.

3. I'm in the market for a small P&S myself. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rumoured Nikon P6000 is for real and will be available sometime in August. I'm anxious to see it in person. Just might be what I've been after for use in a new sport in which I've recently started participating.

4. vpeek

vpeek Guest

I purchased the new P80 to have a small camera that I could carry at all time. For the most part it is very good. Still has the point&shoot shutter lag and when you extend the 18x zoom hand holding is difficult. Over all I am satisfied.

Vic

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well I just bought an Olympus 1030 SW (10 MP) (it's also underwater camera)...I took this image today with my new little P&S. I mainly bought it for my son - he wanted something he could take with him on his little vacation next month.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=176879

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Hi guys
    could you please explain which is the slang meaning of "Something's gotta give" ? I know there was also a nice comedy-movie with this title but I can't recall it.

7. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    That was an excellent movie with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton.

Collins Dictionary: "to yield or break under force or pressure"

It basically mean that you have to compromise somewhere, or as we say in America, "you can't have your cake and eat it".

Apparently the origin of the expression is from the phrase "give and take" - you can't just take, something has to be given as well.

Personally I always thought that "give" points to something breaking.

At any rate, it means that if you continue to press on long enough, things will have to start fall apart somewhere.

Language class over :smile:

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!

Means...It's got to get better soon.

9. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Seneca's ever the optimist.

I take the phrase to mean that the pressure/urge/stress/? is so great that something must change.

10. Nice little camera

Seneca,

I just bought the Olympus 850 SW (8 MP). I think it is bascially the same camera with less MP. Did you try the panoramic yet? Not too bad.

I bought it for the beach this coming weekend. For their size, they are great
    point & shoots. Panos, macros, tons of enviornment settings.. pretty impressive. Nikon should take note.

Don

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Hemigod

Hemigod

Jan 12, 2008
    Anchorage
    Speaking of the P6000....

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/07/purported-nikon-coolpix-p6000-turns-up-online/

12. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    No I haven't tried the panoramic yet. I bought mine for my son...he wanted a P&S...plus he is always around our pool area. I was afraid he might drop it in the pool so I figured why not an underwater camera. My 1030 is (10 MP)...I suppose I should've just gotten the 8mp, perhaps I would've saved $50.00 or so.

So far I am impressed by it's quality the different ISO's. Pretty nice little camera for the price.

13. Hi Seneca

I was also looking at the SW10 camera for a small all around P&S. I would be interested to see what some low light photos look like if you get a chance.

Thanks
    Dave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.