Why did I buy a Canon?

JLH

This is NOT a Canon vrs. Nikon post...NO! Its about a hobby and a photo journey, nothing more.

I grew up learning from my father who had been a camera repairman and photographer in the Army Air Corps during WW2. I loved the dark room work and love the technical aspects of photography.

During the late '60's and up through the 1980's I was a Canon shooter. Back then Nikon seemed a lot of money and more slanted towards pro's and very serious amateurs. Canon had such great cameras back then. I had two FT-QL's with a nice set of prime lens to go along. Also had the "booster meter" as I enjoyed doing low light work. Loved that camera, it traveled the world with me from Asia, Europe and around the US. In the 1990's things were changing and I crossed over to Nikon. My last film camera was a Nikon N-70. Some consider that an "odd" model due to the interface but it was a work horse for me and I still have it, and all the memories that go with it.
I got into digital with an Olympus and then a Panasonic, both of which served me well. But in time I upped the game and went with a new Nikon D7100. I was finally at a time when I could afford to spend more on my hobby and over the past few years my collection of both cameras and lenses grew. I am almost ashamed of the amount of gear I have now! Being more geared to wildlife I mostly use crop framed cameras but do have a D750 for when I feel a full frame camera is called for.

I currently have a D5200, D7100, D7200, D500 and the D750. Each fills a certain spot. I don't sell the D7100 as its worth more to me than it would bring on the used market. Yes, I love it and it has always been a wonderful camera. Over the years I have wised up and realized that you can find very good used gear if you look. Some folks just chase the latest model thinking it will make them a better shooter (it does not!) and trade in or sell very low use find gear. I got my D7200 that way as well as a few lenses.

So, what is the very best birding lens out there? Seems the Canon 100-400 L series is on the top of many lists. Too bad it won't fit a Nikon! No problem, just get a 7D Mk II and you can enjoy that lens. Working with a sales person I know well at a big lock shop he kept an eye out for me and got me a very fine, very low click, copy of the 7D Mk II for a very reasonable price. With the 100-400 on special pricing I got the camera and lens for just a couple of bucks more than a Nikon 80-400 lens. Loving gear and learning new things made the choice easy. Besides, I tire of hearing people argue over the N brand vrs. the C brand, I will just get both! A little shopping found me a couple of like new used lenses for the 7D and I now have a nice bag full of Canon kit.

So, how does it feel switching? Well, the Canon is a fine camera and I like it. The 100-400 is a great piece of glass without a doubt. But, as many of you already know, the two brands have their own personalities. I enjoy the Canon but find my D500 is still my favorite crop frame camera. I honestly love having both cameras. After all, this is a hobby to me and its nice having the two different pieces of gear, especially after living with my past Canon's for over twenty years long ago.

So, this is my confession. I love Nikons and they are still my favorites but I do enjoy the Canon 7D Mk II. It is a great camera. That said the D500 is a better camera in my eyes and if I could only have one camera the D500 gets my vote. But the difference is not so great and part of that is my years with Nikon and being use to how to get the results I want. I do enjoy the change of pace and challenge of the Canon. No regrets! I now have the best of both worlds and am loving it. Of course the kids will have a little less inheritance but too bad! They have a college education and good jobs, they are on their own! I will leave them a pile of great photo gear...

Last edited:
My only issue in switching between Nikon and Canon, is that my left hand working the zoom ring gets confused. This because Nikon and Canon zoom rings turn in opposite directions. And when I shoot sports with the Canon, that drives me NUTS. Because my muscle memory is with Nikon. I have a fraction of a second to turn the zoom ring, and if I turn it in the wrong direction, I usually loose the shot. That usually happens on a CLOSE shot, where I zoom to tele rather than wide. :confused: :mad:

When I am NOT shooting sports, I don't have that need for a split second decision. So what if I turn the zoom the wrong way, I just change directions.

The other is the control and menu.
I shoot both Nikon and Olympus. There have been many times when I became confused, trying to figure out how to configure something on the Olympus that is easy on the Nikon, and the other way around as well. There is something to be said for common controls when using different cameras.

I've shot Nikon since forever (70's) and Olympus. Many of my friends shoot Canon. They are fine cameras with some excellent lenses. Enjoy all your gear! As my cousin has told me "there's a reason shrouds don't have pockets."

Real Name
Andrew
There are auto focus adapters that will allow for EF and EF-S lenses to work on mirrorless. You could get a mirrorless Nikon body, the adapter and still get the benefits of the Canon 100-400L.

I'm seriously contemplating doing that because I want longer AF prime lenses for my Z6 and Fuji XPro2. You can get EF 135mm adn 200mm in Canon that are highly regarded and ata decent price on the used market.
Fuji doesn't make a reasonably priced prime over 90mm (that 200mm is expensive and huge, so not for me). Nikon has primes, but most are still older models that require the screw drive to AF or ones that are AF-S are just way too expensive for me to justify.

There are always options out there! I find fun in exploring them.

JLH

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I enjoy photography and have since I was very young. I have owned many brands of cameras over the decades and found something to like in all of them (at the time I had them). It is not easy to switch from one brand to another if you are under pressure or in a hurry, that is for sure! But for me, I like going out and enjoying the day, playing with the gear and taking in the sights. I like my D500 the best likely because I use it the most and am very use to how it operates. Its my go to camera if the action is fast. It really is a great piece of equipment. But, I also like my D7100, D7200 and D750 as they are so much alike in many ways and its easy to go from one to another. I don't have trouble with the zoom turning the opposite direction as I tend to use the "push-pull" method of zooming a lot so its a non-issue for me. One thing I do practice however is making my outings either a Nikon day or a Canon day. That saves me a lot of headaches! I have worked with the same person at our local major photo shop for well over ten years. She knows the type of work I do and she always points me in the right direction and helps me find good deals on new and used gear. She found me a 18-135 in great shape and priced well and a just like new 70-300. (and that is also one fine lens). With these and the 100-400 I have pretty complete coverage for the 7D Mk II.
The main reason I added the Canon was it gave me the option of using the best lenses out there, regardless of make. (Well..Canon or Nikon!). Also I love this hobby and being able to work with different cameras and lenses of different brands. Down the road I can see a mirrorless camera in my future and I know there are adapters to use the 100-400 on these.
Life is good...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom