Why did you choose Nikon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dL302, Aug 13, 2008.

1. dL302

dL302

Aug 7, 2008
    Vancouver
    First off, being a newbie here, I apologize if this topic has been discussed in the past. Upon searching, I couldn't type words like "why" or "nikon" so I don't really know how to find this.

Anyways, why did you choose Nikon? Share your stories and experiences here.

I'll start off...

I chose Nikon because 1) my girlfriend told me Nikon is the way for DSLR, 2) the ergonomics is just miles ahead than Canon, 3) build quality is much nicer than Canon (comparing the budget ones), 4) clearer viewfinder (later found out D40 has pentaprism viewfinder), 5) D40 kit lens is much better than the XTi 6) price (D40 is best bang for your buck).

I used to only shoot with Canon P&S and this is the first time I've owned a Nikon. I must say I've made the best choice to try a Nikon out. I doubt I'll go back to Canon in the future, but who knows. At least for sure, I'm already saving up for a D300 :D 

Go Nikon Go!

dL

2. It was handed down generation to generation.

3. My father shoots Nikon, and now, so do I.

4. In August of 2003, I was living in Virginia Beach, Virginia waiting for then hurricane Isabel to make landfall. A few days prior, I went out to Ritz Camera to look at buying a new SLR camera to document the hurricane as it passed by. In my mind, I wanted a Pentax body. Upon going to the store, they did not sell Pentax but they did have Nikons and Canons. I asked about the difference between the two brands and what hooked me to Nikon wwere these: 1) a metal lens mount on the body (the Canon body I was looking at had a plastic one), 2) backwards lens capability. That day I walked out with an N65 and I haven't looked back.

God Bless,
    David

5. Brand loyalty I suppose. I had a Nikon CP4500 for a few years and eventually made the switch to a D70. Why - cos it was simply the best you coul dget for a reasonable price - it was winning awards all over the place.

A few years have passed and I've built up a small lens collection - which I'm thining out - but my D70 needed replacement. So I upgraded to a D300 - glad I did.

My older brother, he shoots a Nikon D70 - I got to use his before I bought mine. My younger brother now shoots a D80 which he got for Christmas. So we're a Nikon family :eek: )

6. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Back in 03 i think they came out with the rebel. I saved up a lot of money and went out and bought a rebel kit. I was really not impressed, so i returned it, turns out they had just gotten in the D70 (that minute). Having read tons of good things about the D70 and how great it was going to be, i really thought i had no chance in finding one. I was lucky, picked up my D70 with a 28-200 and was off and running, never looked back, never doubted my decision.

7. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    Nikon Is The Best Cameras Out There!!!!!!!!

8. I read up on the D80 and it seemed to be in the top of the heap picture quality wise at the time. I then went to the store and played with both Canon and Nikon in my hands. The Nikon felt better in my hands (ergonomics). I also felt it had better build quality, and a better user interface with a nice LCD.

Looking back, I'm very pleased I chose this little D80 over the Canon Rebel. It has served its purpose well and I still have not outgrown it or used it to its full potential.

If I were to buy again in the next few months, I'd go for a D700 or D300.

:smile:

9. I think white lenses look stupid. Hahaha!

Nikon has certain advantages over Canon though. And when dealing with competition it helps vary the image output, especially nowadays with Nikon on equal footing to Canon.

10. aos111

aos111

Mar 9, 2008
    little rock ar
    Back in the 70's I had purchased my first 35mm camera, Minolta XE-7 and I was so happy with it. Well happy until I had the chance to shoot a friend's Nikon F2. Ever since then I had vowed to own Nikons.

Andy

11. Takeda

Takeda

Jun 9, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Working in the semiconductor field for many years, Nikon photolithography equipment was always the best. I always heard the word "Nikon" as being
    the best camera, years ago before digital cameras were introduced. I bought my first Nikon in January '05 (a D70) and never looked back!

12. Twenty years ago when I first got into photography and was in high school, I started off with the trusty Pentax K1000; after that I built on my pentax system and eventually had a few different bodies and quite a few lenses, which I eventually sold off. A few years later I bought a Nikon F801s (8008s in the USA) and really noticed a difference in quality from the Nikon optics, I was hooked. I fell out of the hobby for many years, ironically when we had children, we had a crappy Olympus 2MP digital point and shoot. Now I am once again back with Nikon and loving it.

13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well I sat on my hands for as long as I could now I have to chime in. I will respectfully disagree with the OP. I shoot both Canon 1Ds Mark III and Nikon D200 and I even have a Nikon N70 (yes film). I chosed Nikon years ago and still love my Nikon cameras. I don't feel one brand is better than the next being that I shoot both - so I have an advantage here. They are both great cameras that's why you see so many professional photographers on the side lines of professional games shooting either Nikon or Canon.

I think they are excellent pieces of equipment. It's what you do with that equipment that really counts.

I have a friend who has a Nikon D100 and I was able to show her a couple of things that she was missing...seems she couldn't get images to look crisp...she mentioned to me that she can't do what I do because she only has a D100...I told her that was nonsense. I took shots of her in my studio so she could see that the quality was just as good...she just needed to learn how to work that small machine.

There you have it.. JMHOFWIW...thanks for letting me comment on your thread.

Ohhh it was 2002 when I switched to Nikon...from Minolta.

14. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    I had a good buddy who was a professional photographer. He had all kinds of camera gear available to him. He's a Canon guy. I used most of his cameras including 4x5s and large format stuff. When I wanted to purchase an SLR, I went through his stuff again and just felt most comfortable with the Nikons. Been using Nikons ever since. (1974)

15. My Canon felt like a brick with the edges rounded off; poor ergonomics. At the time (early 90's) I read that Giorgetto Giugiaro was the designing the F bodies, so I tried an F5 and really liked the feel.

Sean

16. So I would not have to wonder what it would be like to have the best.

17. Inertia. I've been shooting Nikons since the early 90s.

18. Bradford O

Bradford O

Feb 16, 2007
    Olympia, Wa
    My first serious camera was a Canon 4S2 rangefinder 35mm I purchased in a PX in Korea in 1954. A few years later, I was bitten by the SLR bug, bought two Mirandas which were great optically but lousy mechanically, then I graduated to a pair of Nikkormats and an early Nikon F, added 50, 28, 105 and 300 Nikkors for glass. I had the glass, so when my newspaper switched to Nikon F4s, I did too. I added some AF lenses, then with the debut of the D100, I entered the digital world, upgraded to a 200 and now await the arrival of a 300 for a weekend shoot. Life is good.

19. 1972... my dad gave me his 1969 nikkormat FTn
    the rest is history
    i've loved everything nikon since i can remember

strangely enough... my now 78 year old dad CURRENTLY gets the most shooting enjoyment out of a canon elph... :biggrin:
    and..... he still likes to shoot often

20. Flipped a coin :eek: :eek: :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.