Why did you start personal blog/site?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sagar, Jul 9, 2008.

1. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    Just curious why every one is maintaing a blog/personal site when most of us host photos on sites like pbase, flickr, smugmug etc...

If you have your own personal blog/site (excuse commerical photographers who hase site as part of business) why did you start it :) 

2. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    people are posting in it at least it's a successful thread.

:Locked: :biggrin:

3. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA
    Didn't get you, I am not refering to that thread if that what you mean :) 

4. My wife and I started our blog as a way to keep in touch with family and friends on what is going on, and to highlight some of our favorite pictures. We also blog about things that are important to us as well. It's been a big success, with a lot more traffic then I would have ever imagined.

Most of our friends have blogs as well.

5. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    Cat-typing.

6. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Maybe a stupid question, but how did you guys start your blogs? Is there like a website that hosts all of this or are you on your own for hosting your own site and creating it yourself? Thanks for any help. I kinda wanna start a blog soon haha

7. Urm, I was unemployed for about 2 months before I started mine, and started it because I was bored, had nothing to do, and thought about it for not long. I registered a domain with 1 and 1, which was cheap, and they offer great service, and hosted it on my own computer from home, for a few weeks, found out ity was SLOW, because of my maximum upload speed of about 48kbps, and looked on 1 and 1, and accidently payed for a 1 years of hosting, which is about £50, with 1.5gb webspace, and 20gb monthly bandwidth.
    Anyway, itll be nice to her EveryonE elses stories, thanks, Until Then>>>Tom.

8. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    I started a site back in 99 because I wanted to have the same e-mail address indefinitely. The site/blog came from that. At first I wrote my own LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) site back in 2001 as an exercise which I continued to improve and use for a while. Now I'm running a Drupal front-ended site with a couple of domains pointed to it. I still update it regularly, but my wife stopped since she started using facebook in the last 6 months or so.

The only people that really look at it are family and friends that are out of town. It's a very easy way to update people on what's going on. Although recently it's been a selective view of my flickr feed for the most part.

9. timkoo

timkoo

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Google's Blogspot hosts an easy to use blog for you. Pretty self explanatory.

www.blogspot.com

There's always wordpress.com too

10. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Thanks, I actually had just found blogspot before your post and started one up, pretty cool!

11. dsokol

dsokol Guest

I started my blog, kind of like having a free website that is update often. I also started it for friends to check out and see what type of work I've been up to, it's like a journal of the different events I've covered and the people I've meet while on assignments.

12. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL

I am still under the delusion that someone actually reads it besides me

I think I have maybe 3 viewers, lol

oh well

I should put a counter on it and see the truth

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.