Why do profession photorgraphers use flash sites?

I notice that there are what seems to be a lot of professionalphotographers whose sites are eniotrely done in flash. Is it b/c they think flash looks cool or is flashy? Any other ideas?

I don't know. But I see a flash-based site, and I immediately turn away. Unless it is a site I NEED to visit, like to download driver software or the like. Flash sites = irritating. Flash site w/music = infuriating.

Lots of reasons...

Flash scales well, is not bitmap-dependent (uses vector graphics) and makes it more difficult to swipe images from your site. It allows you to do a lot of interesting things, both for visuals and the overall experience.

That being said, folks often buy a template rather than building their own site from scratch, and then they load it up with so many images that it won't load efficiently! So don't blame Flash, blame the user.

Sean

It's easier for slide shows. Case in point: Lightroom 2 has an "export to web" feature that is really neat and it makes it very easy to upload a slide show on the web. It's flash-based but the interface is very nice.

I assume because it makes it a bit harder to steal images as well
That would be my guess.....I just give'em a big nasty watermark and then you need to hope I can't find you with them illegally on your facebook.....I get real nasty and call a witchdoctor friend of mine.....the one that made that infamous Love Potion #9.....yeah that Witch Doctor
SPELL CASTIN TIME...........

The image stealing issue is probably what drives everyone to flash based sites.. smacking a giant watermark on your pictures is just distracting and quite often ruins the image.

Using flash isn't a big issue, I think have overly sophisticated flash based setups is the problem as it makes navigating the site a horror.

Most use flash websites because of the principals it represents, which is "cutting edge" and "technology." They want to look high-tech and not like a 2-bit guy in his garage. A lot of people think everyone actually develop their own websites from start to finish.

Just me, whenever I come across a Flash photography website, I automatically hit the back button. A big negative of flash is its content is typically not indexed by the major search engines which results in less exposure and buzz on the www.

I like them because they come in templates, Simpleviewer allows me a simple way to post images that look far better than anything I could do.

I don't find Flash annoying unless it's over done. Some of the real extravagant sites with like 2 main pages that have those stupid "Loading" symbols and the you have to click "Enter" a few times just to get to the home page and theeeeeeen they hit you with annoying music, I leave.

I guess it's a good thing that you guys aren't buying my photos. I used a template for my site which helped me design a site I could never do on my own. I use a HTML splash page off the top to help with SEO. Is it perfect? Of course not but it does what I need. I think my site is pretty easy to navigate, looks clean, and displays my work appropriately. Agree to disagree I guess.

I don't mind flash sites, but I hate the ones that have a 5-minute intro before going to the home page. That is just unneccessary and simply annoying. I've even been to some that didn't have a "skip" option for the intro.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom