1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Why do we have a D3/D300 and a separate D700 forum?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by mneary, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Anyone else find that strange???

Cheers

Mike

2. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    We open up a new forum when the cameras are introduced then they get incorporated into the DSLR forum. Since the D3/D300 came out at the same time, they are separate from the D700.

The D3/300 will be moved any day now to the DSLR, the D700 will probably go there soon too when any more cameras are introduced from Nikon.

Cheers,

Wade

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Muahahaha! :biggrin:

4. Thanks Wade,

it makes more sense now.

Cheers

Mike

5. Is it just me or do other people not want to dig through posts about d70's and d50's when looking for information on my D300?

6. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

Actually, us D50 and D70 users don't enjoy digging through your threads either!:biggrin:

7. Yes, I agree - I think there ought to be a separate forum for each camera.

Cheers

Mike

8. Same here! Not happy with the move. Why not keep it as it was? D3/D300 Forum.

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. yep gotcha on that, understand why, but.....

you could still sub-divide a bit more, there are 3 types of DSLR

Full Frame (D3/D700)
    Professional (D200/D300/D100/D2x)
    Non-Pro (D40....D90)

I'd keep the seperate D700 and D90 forums for a few more months, but why not rejig the rest to something similar to the above.

Yes there are some threads that would span all 3 forums, but for the most part discussions seem to be around the techical aspects/features/problems with individual cameras.

Just my 10p.

11. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Agree with Simon and hereby nominate him (he thought of it!!!!) to go through every thread and decide which of the new fourms the posts should go in :smile:

12. Wasn't exactly meant like that, but you got my idea. I agree that we need to split it in some way.

13. Split 'em up. If I drive a Ford, why would I go to and have to wade thru all the Chevy and What-Not to find what I interested in (no offense intended to you Chevy and What-Not drivers) I am disappointed in the decision here. But you would have to agree that we all spend time on what we shoot in order to glean from other to get the most from our equipment and fuel our passions. Remember, "IF IS AINT BROKEN, DO FIX IT". The notion that "well thats the way we've all was done it" leaves no room for forward movement or improvement. This was not a wise decision. Just MHO.
    My name is David and I approved this message.

14. There is an old Arab tale about the importance of not staking the camel near the tents at night. As the story goes, once a camel gets its nose under the tent it is only a matter of time until you find yourself sleeping with the camel. Now what has this to do with the D3/D300 forum you might ask? When we first started out we only had a DSLR forum and were talked in to starting a D200 forum when it was first introduced (staking the camel near the tent). We agreed to do that only during the first few months of the introduction and then folded it back into the DSLR forum. As time went on we did that for each of the new camera introductions but the camel no longer wants to get out of the tent.

If we carried this out to its logical conclusion, we would have a forum for each of the Nikon cameras in general use and the DSLR forum would no longer be necessary. I still shoot with the D100, D2H and D200; others shoot with the D70, D40, D50, D60, D2Hs, D2X, D2Xs and so on. You can see that this would not be feasible or desirable for the general membership. As management here on the forum, we try to make decisions that will be for the best of all the members.

The posting on the D3/D300 forum had fallen off to the point where we felt it best that it be folded back into the DSLR forum and so that is what we did. Not everyone will be pleased with that decision and that is understandable. Still, it is better than the alternative of not having any new camera forums at all or the establishment of an unlimited number of camera forums. Sometimes we need to compromise for the good of all.

15. Thanks Gordon,

I think it is a good policy to have a DSLR forum and a specific forum for only the most recently released cameras. When you get down to it, posts about techniques and usage of one Nikon DSLR often apply to more than one model of camera. We all benefit from the sharing of our experiences and knowledge.

This is the most sane and absolutely the most enjoyable of all the photography forums I visit, and a large part of that is due to the tireless and most professional efforts of the forum's moderators and administrators.

16. While were at it, I would like to split the lens lust forum too. Primes, zooms etc.,

Just kidding... :) 

I dont see a need to make a change to the way things have been done. Many of the threads started apply to all cameras or have interest to many more than just the folks who own the specific camera.

17. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Yep!

18. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Perhaps in the end, a much more logical breakdown would make sense and forget new forums. No more explaining it over and over again, no more changing it, establish the forums and let the most discussed topics gravitate to top. As you can see any camera introduced will fall into one of these categories I believe. Then you simply name an including section in description for each one. D80, D90...

Pro bodies
    --- crop sensor
    --- Full Sensor
    Pro-sumer bodies
    --- Crop sensor
    --- Full sensor
    Consumer grade entry level
    Point and shoot

19. Thanks for your input Doug, we have looked at versions of what you suggest and decided to stay with what we have. Questions asked in our current DSLR forum receive excellent input from a variety of our membership and we think that is good. Also, there is no elitism in our current method of operation.

20. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    A D3 / D300 forum and a D700 / D90 forum group cameras that came out at / around the same time....Hmmmm....

Nikon Is the brand here, but lets talk Chevy for a moment....

Would it make sense to have a Cavalier / Corvette Z05 forum as well as a Cobalt/Corvette Z06 forum? With the same logic above, one would say "well, it's when the two cars came out." Ehhh, I don’t like that.

Why wouldn’t you have a Cavalier / Cobalt forum along with a Corvette Z05 / Corvette Z06 forum? Same type of vehicles, same class, roughly the same cost...makes sense to me.

So why wouldn’t you have all the full framers posting to the D3 / D700 forum and then a D300 / D90 forum for the DX people. Honestly, none of the cameras are alike, but at least people in the D3 / D700 forum would be discussing all FX related issues including lens choice etc...

I don't like it. As a D3 owner, I truly dont care one bit about how a D300 performs, but I would be interested in the D700.

And as a consumer, if I have $1,500 to spend, I want to look in one place for the answers I need (the D300 / D90 forum), not two places. If I had $3,000, I would go to the D3 / D700 forum to decide which was best for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.