Why do you need a D2X?

I just want a D2x for the social status and image boost it will give me. When people look at me and see me with the big bad "X" and a bigmah lens they will think I'm so cool. I have a hard time meeting girls so this camera should help me out.
LOL!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That is great!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Easy answers for me

Steve S said:
I'm retired, and this is my only hobby,
How the hell can you be retired...you only look like about 42 in your avatar...or is that a waaaaay ancient picture you have up there to confuse us all?

I don't personally think that there is the slightest thing "wrong" with getting a D2X. I'm very much of the opinion that if you've earned your money, it's yours (after taxes, of course) to spend as you like.
I agree Joe.....if I had the money to spend I would support my bad.......err I mean........good habit with a D2X.

To be honest, going freelance has really taken a toll on my pocket book. All the equipment I've invested in is really expensive. That's why I posed the question.

What really sucks, before my accident I was offered a full-time position with a news agency as a field shooter. Luckily though it's an open position for me as they have been asking me to work there for the last 5 months.

It was like the ulitmate photographer job: Good Salary, 25% commission, company car (any brand new SUV you want), camera equipment, Health and Dental and lots of travel.

Life is weird man, you're either lucky or you're not.

[quote="PJohnP]Shooting a D100 amongst D2H users at a Reznick workshop in the Bosque sure gives one a sense of "shutter inadequacy", especially with a guy immediately and aptly nicknamed "Bam-Bam" shooting about ten gigs in a dawn session on the next tripod over.[/quote]

John's being kind. Actually what we called him in Bosque is "Scott the Shot Whore". That guy took more photos in 3 days than I did in 6 months. Great guy too! He's trying to get a curriculum approved to teach kids photography.

John's also a really smart guy. Instead of going for the new body he opted to get himself the 200-400VR and it paid off for him. Except for Ron, he got as many good shots as the rest of the D2H guys.

As for me, I got the D2X because of perfect timing so I jumped on it. If what happened hadn't I'd still be using the D100 or D2H. The reason I did pull the trigger is because I happily used the D100 for the last few years and will most likely do so with the D2X. It was investment in my future.

_/oe

Joe_Lorenzini said:
John's being kind. Actually what we called him in Bosque is "Scott the Shot Whore". That guy took more photos in 3 days than I did in 6 months. Great guy too! He's trying to get a curriculum approved to teach kids photography.
Very scary. Scott also landed some pretty neat sequences. If he jumped through them on the computer, it was almost like watching a movie. he was trying very hard to capture the sequences, perhaps more than any one shot. In that, he was highly successful.

And he's a great teacher - passionate about his students and what he can bring to them.

Joe_Lorenzini said:
John's also a really smart guy. Instead of going for the new body he opted to get himself the 200-400VR and it paid off for him. Except for Ron, he got as many good shots as the rest of the D2H guys.
Even scarier. I'm not that smart. Methodical, maybe.

What I think is that I'm trying to learn to use the equipment as best as I can. I'm nowhere near to the limits of the D100 in almost every aspect of the camera, perhaps excepting the buffer. And that limit has made me try to be better at anticipating where the action will move. I'm still working on that skill.

Some of the other photographers at the Bosque session have, I think, already mastered that skill. The combination of the fast buffer with that skill allowed them to land some really fine shots.

Joe_Lorenzini said:
As for me, I got the D2X because of perfect timing so I jumped on it. If what happened hadn't I'd still be using the D100 or D2H. The reason I did pull the trigger is because I happily used the D100 for the last few years and will most likely do so with the D2X. It was investment in my future.
In my case, I'll likely get a better camera body somewhere along the way. I guess it's just a deferred investment in my future. Deferred to let me get a bit better at shooting first, developing skills that I can count on with any equipment I hold at a given moment.

And that's the story I'm sticking with...

... until I buy that next camera body.

John P.

I dunno John, I've seen your images. You've got the D100 down.

You're more ready than most of us.

_/oe

PS. I did ditch the D2H and kept the D100. I just love that camera!

gho

Well, I don' need a D2x, but it sure would help out. For me it seems like the D2h and SLR/n merged into one.

I love the handling of the D2h, but can't stand the resolution. I love the resolution of the SLR/n but it handles like a pig.

And yes, for me resolution does matter. I have a feeling many haven't shot medium format before. But the SLR/n (and it looks like the D2x) can produce images that rival MF quality, and that's what I'm looking for. I'm embarassed selling 20x30's from a 4mp image - I know I'll get killed for this, but there is definately from my shots at that size.

My best shots come from the D2h however, and if I could get those at in higher rez, I wouldn't be so embarassed with the image quality and I believe my sales would improve (since I would feel better about pushing that size) - right now, when asked, I have to admit my 20x30's are a bit soft from the D2h (especially after they've seen 20x30s from the SLR/n).

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
well I'm an idiot I guess but...

I bought the D2x for 4 reasons
1. To be able to get more detail and to be able to crop bird shots . No matter what you do you can never get close enough to get the birdshot you want. I alo bought a Sigma 800, that is still not close enough at times believe it or not.
2. Shooting birds at dawn requires less noise and let's face it the D2H is a wonderful camera but it is to noisy in difficult exposure conditions, the D2X is basically an upgraded D2H amost all controls are the same so the learning curve is not that steep to move.
3. I also shoot landscape, so any resolution increase is well worth it. This is where it is the easiest to get results with the D2x, Tripod, Great prime lens, smaller aperture and you are pretty much done (ok WB and exposing for highlights and post processing etc.etc...) But still relatively easy.
4. When I bought the D2H last year in May, I had to go thorugh a steep learning curve, the first two months where trying and I many times swore out loud that I was an idiot to have bought it and let go the wonderful more idiot proof D100 (nevermind dark colder pictures and all the PP work to fix them...). So one of the reasons for buying the D2x is to force me to become a better photographer. You see now I have no excuses for not punching out worldclass shots, so If I dont deliver great shots it is all my fault. And that can be corrected be practising and learning. Obsessed? Yes I guess so but as my wife says it is better then hanging around in bars....

My first weeks impression with the D2x is summarized as follows:
1. It is more deadon on with metering, the histogram is more often centered
2. The D2x does not make you a better Photographer instantly, Ron and Yves still get way better and sharper shots with the D2H's then I do, I have a ways to go. But I'm working on it. Everyday.
3. Landscapes are relatively easy, birds are hard
4. Bye Bye Nikon Capture, since I have been in the software industry for what seems like eons I feel that they have no clue about using the right underpinning when developing applications for Windows (and from what I hear same for Mac), like DirectX9 etc. It's sad because they do understand the algorithms to get great pictures, if one has the time to wait one or two minutes per picture, the results can be great, but who has the time to wait. In the meantime Rawshooter looks quite promising.
5.It is unforgiving if you don't have good lenses on it.
6. Blown highlights is still an issue, the same rule as the D2H applies, expose to save the highlights, then bring back in postprocessing. The good news is that there is way more to bring back because of lower noise and resolution.
6. Those of you with D2H should know that my best 18x12 print, the sharpest, prettiest etc print is still made by the D2H, given the right light so that noise is not an issue, it can and will produce stunning pictures, it is not in the megapixels it's the photographer in all of us that can make that once in a lifetime shot.

In a year or so I will make shots that compare to what you guys can do now, question is where are you then?

C

Carol Steele

As a pro wedding and portrait shooter, not only did I want the D2X, I felt I needed it - especially for group shots. The D1X (bless its cotton pickin soul) tended to reduce detail in the faces of large group shots - and this was evident in images of 10"x8" or larger.

Plus it is a tax write off :D

B

billT

gho said:
Well, I don' need a D2x, but it sure would help out. For me it seems like the D2h and SLR/n merged into one.

I love the handling of the D2h, but can't stand the resolution. I love the resolution of the SLR/n but it handles like a pig.

And yes, for me resolution does matter. I have a feeling many haven't shot medium format before. But the SLR/n (and it looks like the D2x) can produce images that rival MF quality, and that's what I'm looking for. I'm embarassed selling 20x30's from a 4mp image - I know I'll get killed for this, but there is definately from my shots at that size.

My best shots come from the D2h however, and if I could get those at in higher rez, I wouldn't be so embarassed with the image quality and I believe my sales would improve (since I would feel better about pushing that size) - right now, when asked, I have to admit my 20x30's are a bit soft from the D2h (especially after they've seen 20x30s from the SLR/n).
HI Gregory,

Good to run into you in this column.

I am with you, Ilove te D2H, but like more resolution. Think of the D2X as a D2H with more photosites, and the heck with justification. Honest, the extra mega pixel really really shows.

BillT.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom