Why Does Nikon Messenger Need Internet Access?

just bought a D800. I’ve been using Nikon View for years as my preferred browser. I’ve had ViewNX 1.2 on my computer for years, but rarely open it. Usually only when I want to see the focus point. Well, 1.2 didn’t show the focus point for the D800, so I uninstalled it and installed ViewNX 2 using the CD that came with the camera. I like 2.0, so I might start using it more than the old Nikon View, however, every time I turn the computer on, I get the message from my Firewall program that “Nikon Messenger is trying to access the internet”. Seems like I remember seeing this with the old ViewNX, but I just denied it permanently.

What is Nikon Messenger, and why does it want access to the internet?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Did you mean Nikon Message Center. You should uninstall it, worse than useless.

You should download and install the latest version of ViewNX2.
Version 2.7.4

Then uninstall Nikon Message Center again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you mean Nikon Message Center. You should uninstall it, worse than useless.

You should download and install the latest version of ViewNX2.
Version 2.7.4

Then uninstall Nikon Message Center again.
I did mean Nikon Message Center. I was going from memory when I typed the Subject of this thread. I know better than to go from memory when posting on forums, but I still do it. :frown:

I opened it and it looked useless to me and I see there is an option to uninstall it in the control panel, and I will do that. I saw 2.7.4 on the Nikon site while trying to find out what Nikon Message Center is and why it needs internet access and will download and install it. Thanks for the help. :smile:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
and check manually if you run a mac - concurrent installation is a must for that masterpiece of uselessness!
Never used a Mac in my life, and I’m too old and cranky to change now. :biggrin:

After my last post, I downloaded and installed ViewNX 2.7.4 and got rid of Nikon Message Center. Took the time to uninstall a bunch of stuff I no longer use, and defrag my hard drive. This version of ViewNX is much nicer than older versions, which I didn’t use unless I wanted to see the focus point. I’m kind of liking it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom