Why does the Nikon Z 70-200mm f/2.8 Lens have builtin VR

Nikon recently announced the Nikon Z 70-200 2.8 lens with built in VR!! Why is VR included in the lens since the Nikon Z line has stabilization built into the camera? Stabilization is a positive but if its in the camera, VR in the lens just adds size and weight to the lens.

Thanks

Jim

Real Name
Chris
For a professional grade lens of that focal length, you want all the stability you can get. Including it in the lens allows 5-1/2 stops of 5 axis stability. That combined with the parafocal focusing ability and additional electronic VR when shooting video mode made it a formidable combination on the z series cameras. And as mentioned before it gives you stability on a non ibis camera like the z-50. Shooting handheld at that FL without any stabilization is a challenge. If you don’t care about that stuff, they have a smaller non pro version as well that’s nice and light and about the same size as the kit lens.

Real Name
Andrew
I’ve yet to officially confirm, but based on the wording on the press release, it appears that the lens VR will function on the Z50 and that the IBIS and lens VR will work in tandem on the Z6/Z7 bodies.

I might throw an email to NPS and see if they can clarify.

Real Name
Chris
I’ve yet to officially confirm, but based on the wording on the press release, it appears that the lens VR will function on the Z50 and that the IBIS and lens VR will work in tandem on the Z6/Z7 bodies.

I might throw an email to NPS and see if they can clarify.
I can go ahead and confirm that for you right now. You will get an additional half stop (5.5) when working in tandem with a z6 or z7

Real Name
Chris
If you are French in a Peter Sellers movie you would probably call it 'ze fifty'. If you were also being technical, you'd might call it 'ze zee fifty, but she does an 'after hours' dance show at 'ze caberet'.

It seems to me that long lenses would be favored by the smaller DX format of the 'fifty, especially by birders and other nature shooters who take advantage of the 1.5X 'magnification'.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom