Why I also think I have a D2x focus issue

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by DavidM, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Partially to support Jim Fenton (and others) who are experiencing focus problems with their D2x cameras, and also because this particular set of pictures seemed to really show the problem I'm having, I thought I'd post these pics.

This past weekend I went out shooting and for a while decided to try the 300 f/4 + TC-14 combo with the D2x again. I've yet to get any reasonable shots on the D2x with that combination, though I never had any problems with those same two on my D100.

There wasn't much activity on the lake, but at a certain point I noticed this otter swimming by -- when he saw me, he turned and started coming right for me (not exactly directly, but you'll get the idea). Took a series of shots, and this was the result:

original.
    View attachment 7594
    View attachment 7595
    View attachment 7596
    View attachment 7597

Now, I'll grant you that motion blur contributed a certain amount to some of these shots, but if you look at the water I think you'll see that every one of these shots was back-focused. This is the most drastic example of this problem that I've seen yet on my camera, but it was very consistent with this series and for some reason is much worse with this lens combination (although it does occur with my other lenses as well to a lesser degree).

There are many people who don't seem to have any issues with their D2x's -- I'm not trying to say that all of them have a flaw, but there are some (and I think mine is one) that seem to have great difficulty with focus in certain situations. I just wish I could find the pattern to what seems to make it worse in order to better troubleshoot the problem, but so far I haven't been able to. I do intend to return the camera for service, but not until I have a better feeling that Nikon knows what is going on.

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    HI David

I think that you do have some motion blur, however, the biggest issue is indeed the back focus.

I shot a large beaver late last week swimming towards me...I was solid on a tripod and I got exactly the same reults.

Rons camera is back at Torrance and mine will arrive there today.

We're hoping they get this figured out.

By the way...I did receive two e-mails yesterday, bitht from NPS members, one in CA and one here in the States sying that Japan was working on this and there should be some resolve shortly. There were no specifics unfortunately.

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    HI David

I think that you do have some motion blur, however, the biggest issue is indeed the back focus.

I shot a large beaver late last week swimming towards me...I was solid on a tripod and I got exactly the same results.

Ron's camera is back at Torrance and mine will arrive there today.

We're hoping they get this figured out.

By the way...I did receive two e-mails yesterday, both from NPS members, one in CA and one here in the States saying that Japan was working on this and there should be some resolve shortly. There were no specifics unfortunately.

4. I feel fairly certain that I am experiencing the "back focusing " issue as well. The interesting aspect that I am seeing is that it seems to occur on stationary birds and small animals as well. I am not certain the focusing sensor is aligned with the outlined focal point box in the viewfinder. I can sometimes adjust the positioning of the subject just above the box and achieve focus. I intend to wait until I see this sort itself out before attempting to send mine in. I still have my trusty D2H.

5. Dave,

I initially thought this was only an issue with 200mm+ focal lengths, but I now feel that it is an issue with shorter ones as well (but it just doesn't show up as often, probably because of subject matter). Like you, I'm going to wait a bit until I feel like Nikon has something more concrete to do about the issue besides "tweak and return".

6. I haven't said anything before about it but I think I'm in the same boat as you, I'm not getting the results I want reasonably often. It is complicated by the Sigma 800 being a bit hard to focus on the D2H as well. But I got better reuslts on the D2H then the D2X that is for sure.

The 300mm 2.8 AF (older version) I got gets excellent results by the way when it comes to sharpness.

I get this feeling it only comes from AF-continous, I get better results with AF single focus.

So how do we test properly for backfocus issues? There is a testing thing for the D70 from this guy in New Zealand. I tried with the D2H and it showed frontfocus on my D2H. what do you guys think about that testing method applied for the D2X?
    http://md.co.za/d70/

7. Andreas -

I've downloaded the test chart, but I'm not certain that it will work very well to test for the issues I've been seeing. The test chart should do well for cameras/lenses that are consistently producing shots with back or front focus issues, but my problems aren't always there. I'd love to be able to predict when they will show up, but unfortunately the most repeatable problems are with subjects that I can't readily set up and reproduce (GBHs flying by, otters swimming toward me, etc.).

And by the way, I've seen the problem as much with AF-S as have with AF-C...

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Andreas / David

I'm not at all convinced that a test chart will help you. I can get really great stuff inside of 10'. From 10-15' I can begin to see the random focus issue and out past 25' it is easy to see.

I've never shot a test shot before, but aren't they used up close?

Maybe if someone through it up in the wind and I shot it floating by.....

Kidding of course :)

9. one thought that comes to my mind is the VR feature on the new lenses and if it has any bearing on focus. I doubt it but it may be something to experiment with.

10. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Dave

I had the same issues with the 200-400 as I do with all other lenses.

On the 200-400 it made no difference relative to the focus issues with the VR either on or off.

11. rules out the vr issue.

12. Dave, I don't believe VR has any particular impact on this. The only VR lens I have is the 70-200, and I've had focus issues with it occasionally with and without VR turned on.

By far my most frequent problems result from the combination I used above -- the 300 f/4 with any TC attached.

13. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    David et All

Well...

Nikon called and apologized that they would not be able to have my camera back to me tomorrow as we were looking for a Saturday delivery.

They have been working on my particular camera since Wednesday and they are unable currently to correct the focus issues.

I of course asked that they replace it once I heard this and I was told that replacing it with any of the current cameras would not resolve the issue.

????????

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sorry. :(

Frank

15. Whoa... that's very interesting indeed. But clearly there are cameras out there that aren't exhibiting this problem. Does that mean they still don't have a definite answer to what's going on?

16. Re: David et All

Jim,

Seeing that Nikon told you that replacing it with the current cameras would not resolve the issue, tells me that they believe that most of the cameras sold has this problem. Maybe not, but I was just reading between the lines.

I'm waiting like some others here have said to turn mine in because I would rather they figure out the problem first. Since I don't use the camera on a professional basis, means I can wait.

Thanks for letting us know Jim.

17. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    No Clue

Well...I have no clue as to whether they have a clue...does that make sense?

Paul Frye (A shooting buddy of Ron's) did post on DPR a short while ago that he and Ron went shooting yesterday and that after Ron reviewed the LCD of some shots, he felt that his camera might be working better after the 2nd repair...although he had not yet had the opportunity to look at them on the computer.

Time will tell I suppose.

Thanks god it's gonna be a cruddy weather weekend.

18. what that tells me is that they all do have this condition, some just have not seen it occur yet. Jim I know you were operating a friends camera and did not experience it, is that right?
    I contacted Nikon today concerning mine but have not been invited to return it yet, which is just as well as i have a photo vacation in a week. May be using the d2h for the fast stuff.

19. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Dave

I did in fact shoot one for a morning and it appeared as though it was perfect to me.