Why I am thrilled with the D7000

I took the D7000 to a minor league baseball game today. My only telephoto (while I save up for the 300 f/4) is the 70-300VR. At 300mm it can't go faster than f/5.6. So I'm on a crop sensor, with a slow zoom. Why bother taking it to a night game at all?

I'm not posting these pictures because they're great. I'm posting them because they're usable. Tomorrow I'll have time to post process and run them through noise ninja - what you're seeing are some of my default presets in LR. That includes some automatic exposure increase, which ups the noise. Again, these are nothing fantastic, but it's incredible to me that I got usable images at all.

Here are some examples:
1/640, f/6.3, ISO 2500
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/640, f/6.3, ISO 2500

1/640, f/6.3, ISO 6400

Very nice. I like #1 most. BTW, you may want to edit "telephone". The 300mm has many singing its praises. I don't own it but it sounds like it is worth saving for.

That's a very nice illustration of the benefit of that camera and lens combination. I've seen the same thing that I can get usable shots from marginal situations that I couldn't before. Thank you for posting these. Great photos.

Pretty sweet, Paul...on some slow glass! :eek:
Gave mine a try w/ 70-200 VR II last eve
f2.8 @ISO3200/5000 respectively...SOOC :biggrin:
FWIW the 2nd shot actually shows more "arena dust" than noise!

View attachment 895868

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikon really hit it out of the park so to say with this camera.

Nice work Paul.

Will love your stuff.

Really the D7000 is an incredible camera.

Yeah, I'd say your shots are very usable. Spent my first day yesterday with the D7000, mostly getting acquainted with it and doing some side-by-side shots. I must say thus far I'm very impressed with it. And it's metering is comparing very well to the D300 and D700 I also have, so I don't know what all the dandruff is about. I was shooting under very strong daylight and with lots of highlight to shadow contrasts, and it did just as well as the other two with Matrix metering.