Why I (and I think many others) wont be buying many Z mount lenses for quite a while....

I've never felt Nikon planned for D850 owners to migrate to the D7 unless its lower weight (1.29 pounds compared to 2 pounds) has a particular, understandable appeal for certain photographers. Instead, I think Nikon planned the D7 as an alternate to the D850 as an upgrade from a lesser Nikon body for those who find the benefits of mirrorless technology appealing.
So we're skipping the D6?? :eek:
Or if you go back as far as I do, film vs digital. and for some here B&W vs color. Life IS good!
I bought my Z6 because Nick did (y).

I didn’t “move” to the Z platform. I “added” the Z platform. It can back up my D850 for portraits, and the Z platform is far more comfortable for travel. I have 4 F-mount lenses. Over time as more comparable Z lenses arrive I will likely purchase the ones I need and retire the F platform.

This is very much an individual decision based on one’s needs. One person can justify the Z system. Another can justify staying with their F system. There is no need to debate it. No one is in a place to criticize another’s decision or justification.
Well said. This could be posted in two or three other threads going on right now.

So we're skipping the D6?? :eek:
Nope, we're not skipping the D6. It's just that at the time Randy was asking about comparisons between the Z7 and the D850.

I bought my Z6 because Nick did (y).
When I grow up (not that that will ever happen), I want to be like you. Then I'll also be like Nick.

Last edited:
I think that these discussions are so interesting. Thank you all for the friendly participation. I probably won't be buying many of the S lenses unless something really compelling comes out. I am considering the 14-30 although I've never been much of a wide angle shooter. I'm going on a trip with my family and I'm going to use my f mount third party wide angle and see if I can warm up more to wide angle shooting. I had ordered the 14-30 f4 S the other day then decided to cancel until I test out wide angle shooting more with the Tokina 17-35 f4 that I already own. It works with the FTZ but it is a heavy lens. I weigh my purchases very carefully and only buy what I really feel that I will use. I have an 85 f 1.4 D that I love but rarely use. I know that if I buy the 85 f1.8 lens that was announced for the Z cameras yesterday that it won't see much use at all. So if I want to use an 85 mm lens, I will get out the D610 and use the one I already have. It's nice to have so many options.

Yup, I used my F2 until I got my D70.
And I shot B&W cuz I could print my own prints. Color was 98% slides.
Sounds like me, although when I moved into digital I was shooting an F5 and F100, and went digital with a D200. I still have my very dusty darkroom gear packed up somewhere. I was also nearly all transparency.

I bought back into Nikon specifically for the Z series. I shot Nikon starting in the mid ‘80s, and moved through bodies fairly often, usually having three on hand for different purposes.
I got the mirrorless bug bad when Nikon started the marketing campaign for the Df, convincing myself it would be that. When the dslr body was revealed, I sold all my Nikon’s and moved to Fuji.
I liked the Fuji stuff. Their lenses are (IMO) second only to Nikon in terms of glass quality. The robust nature of the build is just not there. In all the years I shot Nikon, I never broke anything. I broke two “high end” Fuji lenses in one year - NOT being rough with them. I just really could never feel like the Fuji bodies weren’t getting between me and the image. Focus accuracy nor speed was ever confidence inspiring. The files were more finicky than NEFs (using that odd sensor configuration). The menu system was never as intuitive to me as Nikon’s (but still infinitely better than Sony). I did like the size and weight of the Fuji kit. Because of the lack of connection I felt with the equipment, I left it home more often than not.
Then I began to hear rumors of the Nikon mirrorless series. I began researching what the Fuji stuff was selling for on eBay, and started pigeonholing money. As soon as some concrete data started coming out regarding the Z series, I started selling the Fuji stuff. I’m glad I did. I feel like I’m back home shooting a Nikon again. After seven months with a Z6, I’m still learning things. There is a learning curve, even going from one mirrorless to another, but the Nikon just feels more natural to me.
All that said, I’m having to totally rebuild my Nikon glass collection from scratch. I got the Z6 with the FTZ and 24-70/4 kit, so I could get the lenses I need in F mount and have a native Z. I’m very anxiously awaiting more fast Z lenses, but what I’ve found is that I can buy late model F mount lenses on eBay at prices that won’t depreciate all that much more if I decide to replace them with Z alternatives when available. I’m on the fence with the 14-30/4 because I loved my 14-24 so much. I can buy an F mount 14-24 in the same price range as the new 14-30, so that is a compelling option. I’m also curious to see the upcoming Z mount 14-24 - so I’m waiting for now. I don’t see the F mount 14-24 used prices dropping much more as long as they’re still in production, and I imagine (based on the prices of the newer Z designs) that the new 14-24 will come in at over $2500, which will make it unjustifiable for me.
The upcoming 50/1.2 is on my list, as is replacing my 70-200vrii (that’s my most used lens, so the inevitable high cost is a little more palatable). I also see a high likelihood I’ll be buying more F mount lenses. For example, one of the first lenses I picked up was an AF-S 500/4 II. That lens won’t get a Z model anytime soon, and I won’t be able to afford it, anyway. The 19PC lens? The same. 150 or 200mm macro option? The same. There are still lenses on the Z roadmap I do want, and undoubtedly there will be more by year’s end. I’ll definitely be buying Zs, but also Fs. In fact, if I end up with more than one more F lens (and I undoubtedly will), my plan is to budget in a used FTZ to keep on it.

Just to add my 2 cents worth...

I tried the Z6 and a couple of Z lenses for a few days. The Z6 is an awesome video camera, perhaps one of the best out there in the category of mirrorless still camera that shoots video. The S series lens are very good and rather sharp. That said, the old f mount lenses have more than enough resolution for the Z6 or even the Z7 for that matter. So the S series lenses seem to be designed for the rumored 60MPxl+ mirrorless cameras that are coming next year (or not).

Will I buy a Z6? Probably when I can justify the video usage. Will I buy S series lenses? Probably when the super high resolution Z series bodies are out and in my grubby paws...

Till then it is my D850 and my D500 with the 500PF.... (of course assuming Georgie isn't using them)

Cheeers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"mom, you know 2 cents Canadian is only 1.5 cents US.... and no, you can't use the 500pf cause I am going birding..." - Georgie Beagle

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
You have a point here: the old lenses some of them are really quite good, works so well on my D850 its amazing, so that will for sure slow down the adoption of new Z mount lenses as well. I even have a 5.8cm F1.4 ai'd lens that when stopped down is as sharp as anything.....

Just to add my 2 cents worth...

I tried the Z6 and a couple of Z lenses for a few days. The Z6 is an awesome video camera, perhaps one of the best out there in the category of mirrorless still camera that shoots video. The S series lens are very good and rather sharp. That said, the old f mount lenses have more than enough resolution for the Z6 or even the Z7 for that matter. So the S series lenses seem to be designed for the rumored 60MPxl+ mirrorless cameras that are coming next year (or not).

Will I buy a Z6? Probably when I can justify the video usage. Will I buy S series lenses? Probably when the super high resolution Z series bodies are out and in my grubby paws...

Till then it is my D850 and my D500 with the 500PF.... (of course assuming Georgie isn't using them)

Cheeers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"mom, you know 2 cents Canadian is only 1.5 cents US.... and no, you can't use the 500pf cause I am going birding..." - Georgie Beagle

I also kept a DSLR, but I sold my low mileage 810 for $1300 and my ten year old 24/70 2.8 for $900 and used the money to buy a Z6 and 24/70 f4. With ibis and a great sensor, the new rig is much more pleasant to carry around than what it replaced. Plus, I don’t have to fine tune lenses anymore. Manual focus is easier with peaking, the flip screen is really handy, about the only thing I miss is the fill flash and sometimes the resolution.

I realize for what many here shoot, it’s not a great fit, but for some of us, adding it to staff is a lot of fun.

Real Name
Ian
I think that these discussions are so interesting. Thank you all for the friendly participation. I probably won't be buying many of the S lenses unless something really compelling comes out. I am considering the 14-30 although I've never been much of a wide angle shooter. I'm going on a trip with my family and I'm going to use my f mount third party wide angle and see if I can warm up more to wide angle shooting. I had ordered the 14-30 f4 S the other day then decided to cancel until I test out wide angle shooting more with the Tokina 17-35 f4 that I already own. It works with the FTZ but it is a heavy lens. I weigh my purchases very carefully and only buy what I really feel that I will use. I have an 85 f 1.4 D that I love but rarely use. I know that if I buy the 85 f1.8 lens that was announced for the Z cameras yesterday that it won't see much use at all. So if I want to use an 85 mm lens, I will get out the D610 and use the one I already have. It's nice to have so many options.
Get the 14-30 Terri, you won’t be disappointed. I used it EXTENSIVELY during my vacation back in June, and it was fantastic. Sold my 17-35 Tamron (new version), and don’t regret it for a second.

Real Name
Ian
A side reason to buy Z is the FTZ issues in a couple threads here. In general, day to day for anything, I'm not a fan of adapters.
I have two FTZ’s, and a slew of F-Mount glass (35/1.8 G ED, 58/1.4 G, 85/1.4 G, 70-200 VRII, 300/2.8 VR, 16-80/2.8-4.0, TC-14 III, TC-17 II), and ALL of them work without fault on my Z6.

Many of those lenses have no equal yet in native Z-mount yet (and even when they do become available, they’ll be far more expensive than what i paid for my F-Mount copies).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom