Why I chose the Z6 as my new camera system for the next 10 years

I'd never had an issue (ignoring that whole D600 thing) with a Nikon body. Ever.
Same here. I started in 2005 with a D70. Since then I've had the following: D70s, D200, D40, D60, D90, D7000, D7100, D7200, D600, D610, D750, D5500 (X3) and now Z6. The D600 was the only one I ever sent in for repair, and that was because of the spots-on-the-sensor thing. And they gave me a new D610 to replace it.

I can buy a refurbished Z6, refurbished FTZ, refurbished 24-70mm S lens and 32GB XQD card for $2090. 90 day warranty on the first three items. The same products purchased new with 1 year warranty on the Z6 and FTZ and 5-year warranty on the lens costs $2400. I'm inclined to think I can do better by waiting but wonder what you folks think about that.
I got my refurbished Z6 and 24-70 lens for $1,799. I couldn't JUMP on that fast enough..

Have you figured in the cost of L-brackets?
No. That's because I've never used an L bracket. For me, using a tripod is all about slowing down, so the increased speed that comes with using an L bracket is unimportant. None of my equipment that I typically use with a tripod is so heavy that I need the weight centered over the tripod, so that benefit of the bracket is also unimportant to me.

Last edited:
I don't see any increased speed with an L-bracket over simply flopping the head over. What I do see is greater stability (esp. with a long lens) and similarity of framing (portrait vs landscape orientation).
The SmallRig bottom plate is thicker than most and provides a great place to rest your pinky when hand holding the camera making for better grip/stability. The side plate can slide out providing access to the left side terminals on the camera, or it can be removed completely.

Currently you are trying to save $300 on a new kit.
So in fact you believe that saving $15 dollars per years is worth waiting and waiting.
Another good point! However, I am so busy getting going with water drop photography and focus stacking using my current macro lens and an external focus-bracketing device that I wouldn't want to stop those projects to be able to learn the new camera. So, while I wait until those two projects are up and successfully running, I'm content to be without the Z6 for awhile. In the meantime, perhaps a better price will become available.

I don't see any increased speed with an L-bracket over simply flopping the head over.
When I flop on my system, I have to carefully reset the position to ensure that the horizon is level. Though I've never used an L-bracket, I thought one of the purposes is that once the horizon is set horizontally, it remains true when used vertically and vice versa. Right? Wrong?

I got my refurbished Z6 and 24-70 lens for $1,799. I couldn't JUMP on that fast enough..
I could do that now and it would have a 90-day warranty. However, I would then need to purchase an FTZ and a 32GB XQD memory card. The total becomes $2100 even when the FTZ is refurbished. For $300 more, I could get all of that brand new including a 1 year warranty on the camera and FTZ and a five-year warranty on the lens. Not all that appealing to me for the reasons discussed above.

I could do that now and it would have a 90-day warranty. However, I would then need to purchase an FTZ and a 32GB XQD memory card. The total becomes $2100 even when the FTZ is refurbished. For $300 more, I could get all of that brand new including a 1 year warranty on the camera and FTZ and a five-year warranty on the lens. Not all that appealing to me for the reasons discussed above.
Fair enough. I don't need the FTZ as I'm all in on the Z glass and I already had XQD cards...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom