Why I chose the Z6 as my new camera system for the next 10 years

I seriously do not think that you will be able or want to keep using that Z6 for ten years; technology is changing much more rapidly in many ways than it did at the time you bought your current gear. Something to consider, eh?
Yes, that's always something to be open-minded about. However, when I bought my current camera ten years ago, people said I wouldn't want to keep it more than five years. Yet I'm going to continue using it even now on a limited basis so I don't have to purchase a new macro lens.

Why would I not be able to use the new camera ten years? I can't think of a single reason. It's not as if it's expected to stop working at 80,000 clicks (the number of clicks on my current camera after ten years of use). And if it won't last that long, Nikon is charging waaaaaaaaaaaay too much!

As for the rapid change in technology, some aspects pertaining to photography have actually been slowing down (example: improvements in dynamic range are coming at a slower pace). Barring the advent of a displacing technology so life-altering as perhaps a completely different kind of sensor not yet in commercial development, I have an extraordinarily difficult time thinking that my camera won't be just fine at a bare minimum another seven or eight years. Indeed, if I wouldn't want to keep my camera ten years, signs of that would be apparent at least five years from now and would be prohibitive seven or eight years from now. Though being a visionary is not my strength, I simply don't see that happening.

Better yet, cite just one major displacing technology in photography that will be available five years from now that is already being commercially developed; if it's not in development now, it won't be commercially viable to a mass market of consumers five years from now.

Last edited:
I was disappointed to discover my Tamron 90mm (newest version) doesn’t work with the ftz and my z6.
My understanding is that it should work just fine except that it won't auto focus. Is that not your experience? (I assume you're referring to the 90mm macro lens.)

When I don't do focus bracketing, that won't be a limitation for me because I would always use manual focus in that situation. When I want to use focus bracketing built into the Z6, it won't work with the Tamron macro because the auto focus won't work. So, my plan is to use the CamRanger Mini (ordered today) to make the focus bracketing happen with the macro lens mounted onto my D7000 in auto focus mode.

Last edited:
Yes, that's always something to be open-minded about. However, when I bought my current camera ten years ago, people said I wouldn't want to keep it more than five years. Yet I'm going to continue using it even now on a limited basis so I don't have to purchase a new macro lens.

Why would I not be able to use the new camera ten years? I can't think of a single reason. It's not as if it's expected to stop working at 80,000 clicks (the number of clicks on my current camera after ten years of use). And if it won't last that long, Nikon is charging waaaaaaaaaaaay too much!

As for the rapid change in technology, some aspects pertaining to photography have actually been slowing down (example: improvements in dynamic range are coming at a slower pace). Barring the advent of a displacing technology so life-altering as perhaps a completely different kind of sensor not yet in commercial development, I have an extraordinarily difficult time thinking that my camera won't be just fine at a bare minimum another seven or eight years. Indeed, if I wouldn't want to keep my camera ten years, signs of that would be apparent at least five years from now and would be prohibitive seven or eight years from now. Though being a visionary is not my strength, I simply don't see that happening.

Better yet, cite just one major displacing technology that will be available five years from now that isn't being developed now; if it's not in development now, it won't be commercially viable to a mass market of consumers five years from now.
A very thoughtful analysis at the beginning and here Mike.

I checked and discovered that my D300 is now close to 13 years old and still meeting expectations. I also have an OM-1.1, that is now on 5 years old.

A move to a Z is totally discretionary for me, but your approach is something I’ll probably emulate in a year or so.

It takes time and a lot of thoughtful consideration and reflection when considering where to go if thinking of a move (whether it be lateral, upward, downward within the same system or actually going in a different direction into another system altogether) from one's current gear. Took me over a year and half, maybe even longer, I've kind of lost track, to make my decision, and by the time I did there were already new bodies, new lenses, new features, to consider! You are doing the right thing, Mike, by carefully evaluating all the pros and cons, what you need, what you'd like, what is possible, what is most important to you, etc, etc......

In my situation, I don't anticipate still using my current camera body in ten years, but definitely the lenses are keepers, no matter what! I fully expect that in the next five years or so there will be some tempting changes that will entice me to move into whatever is available at that time, never mind ten years..... Heck, at my age, in ten years (or maybe even five) I may not even be still shooting at all for whatever reason. That's one reason I'm thoroughly enjoying the new stuff I've got now and what I can do with it, exploring my limits and its limits...... Who knows what lies ahead?

Last edited:
My understanding is that it should work just fine except that it won't auto focus. Is that not your experience? (I assume you're referring to the 90mm macro lens.)

When I don't do focus bracketing, that won't be a limitation for me because I would always use manual focus in that situation. When I want to use focus bracketing built into the Z6, it won't work with the Tamron macro because the auto focus won't work. So, my plan is to use the CamRanger Mini (ordered today) to make the focus bracketing happen with the macro lens mounted onto my D7000 in auto focus mode.
First off congratulations on both the camera and CamRanger. Depending on what you’re going to use focus bracketing for, I’ve found setting the CamRanger app to MF worked better for me. It stopped the app from trying to refocus prior to starting the stack. I do similar with my camera’s, set MF in the body and not the lens.

EDIT: I should add, I believe this is something the Nikon bodies cannot do. AF needs to be enabled for the in body process.

Thanks, Richard!

Depending on what you’re going to use focus bracketing for, I’ve found setting the CamRanger app to MF worked better for me. It stopped the app from trying to refocus prior to starting the stack. I do similar with my camera’s, set MF in the body and not the lens.
I and am sure others would appreciate you clarifying that in the thread where you've already been so helpful: https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/sensor-size-and-focus-stacking-lots-about-focus-stacking.320241/ I'm especially intrigued by your comment about that method working depending on what we're going to use the focus bracketing for.

EDIT: I should add, I believe this is something the Nikon bodies cannot do. AF needs to be enabled for the in body process.
Correct

Who knows what lies ahead?
Completely agreed! That explains why I mentioned that it's always best to remain open-minded. Indeed, I have a stock phrase I've been using for decades that describes my approach to life: Plan for the future and live for the present. Decisions we make about how best to do that (such as whether to save or spend money or how to spend our time) involves walking a very fine line that each of us has to decide upon for ourselves.

Thanks, Richard!

I and am sure others would appreciate you clarifying that in the thread where you've already been so helpful: https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/sensor-size-and-focus-stacking-lots-about-focus-stacking.320241/ I'm especially intrigued by your comment about that method working depending on what we're going to use the focus bracketing for.
I did put some info in this post in that thread

As some of the subjects I photograph are moist and in darkish conditions, e.g. fungi, being able to manual focus is important. Therefore selecting manual focus on the camera, Olympus, and Fuji allow this, likewise you can select it in CamRanger, ensures the camera is not changing the focus point I have selected.
From my experience using various cameras, Fuji, and Olympus bodies allow you to set MF in the body (you cannot disable the focus on the lens, it won't work if you do) and still do focus bracketing. Very important, IMO, when you have a difficult subject for the camera to focus on. Focus bracketing is not focusing as such, it is purely adjusting the focus motors based on the step size. CamRanger works in a similar way, however, CamRanger doesn't have the same control of the focus motors as the camera manufacturer does. Nonetheless it works well in the field. I have the original CamRanger and it works exceptionally well with the StackShot focus rail.

Having read Richard's explanation about Manual focusing I would like to point out that you do not have to switch from Auto Focus to Manual on a Z6 to manually focus on the nearest point. While still in Auto Focus Mode you can manually override this and when you are happy you can start the focus shift procedure from the Menu.

DG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom