Why I chose the Z6 as my new camera system for the next 10 years

Not using Z lenses sounds like people that buy a Jeep Wrangler only for pavement, never dirt. It's just not right. :(

I bought the Z6 for its features alone and not on the strength of its lenses. I have a nice collection of (all nikon) modern glass so i am holding on until the price of their equivalents is more realistic. I must admit though, that i am drawn to the 14-30 f4 as a replacement for my 16-35 which i have had since that model was first introduced.

I bought the Z6 for its features alone and not on the strength of its lenses. I have a nice collection of (all nikon) modern glass so i am holding on until the price of their equivalents is more realistic. I must admit though, that i am drawn to the 14-30 f4 as a replacement for my 16-35 which i have had since that model was first introduced.
You should do yourself a favor and just try the 50 1.8S. :)

If i were to list the FL that i use most often in order of priority, that would come pretty near the bottom. The first micro might be the one that i cannot resist.
Heh! Well it was worth a shot.

The release date of that first S micro is a bit of a mystery.

FWIW, with the FTZ, none of my G glass performs any worse on the Z6 and several of them seem to perform better. But what JeeperDon and I are saying is that not one of the new S line lenses is rated below their G equivalents and most perform well above.

But I get what you are trying to do and it really speaks volumes for the flexibility of the Z system.

One of the Z features that i am exploring right now is the Diffraction Compensation and on both of the lenses on which i have tried it so far (at smallest aperture) i can see a small but definite improvement in A/B comparisons in software.

Back in October, right after I'd bought my Z6, I accidentally shot a series of shots at f/29 with my 20-200 f/4 :eek: . Defraction comp. was off. I ought to "recreate" that accident and see if DC can help. The original shots were decent.

Back in October, right after I'd bought my Z6, I accidentally shot a series of shots at f/29 with my 20-200 f/4 :eek: . Defraction comp. was off. I ought to "recreate" that accident and see if DC can help. The original shots were decent.

Why recreate them? If you still have the nefs take them into NX-D and switch Diffraction Comp on. Send both variants to Photoshop and load them into layers. By switching the "On" layer on and off you can do an A/B comparison.

Not using Z lenses sounds like people that buy a Jeep Wrangler only for pavement, never dirt. It's just not right. :(

There's no lenses that interest me right now. Plus my Nikon F-mount lenses are suited for my event photography. I don't really need the Z mount equivalents. All I need is access to the more precise OSPDAF (little to no need for AF tuning) and a silent shutter when I want to go quiet. I'm still keeping a DSLR around because I prefer OVFs for various shooting scenarios.

I just gave the Z6 a second try (first try was a year ago) and I think I'll be sticking with Nikon DSLRs (and Sony mirrorless) for now. I just prefer the direct controls of DSLRs and the OVF when it comes to Nikon. Nothing wrong with the Z, I think the Z6/7 are much more refined especially with firmware 3.0. AF is fairly snappy and many of the early firmware quirks have been ironed out. In fact I'd say it's close/equal to the A7/R III bodies with Nikon better in some areas and Sony in other areas.

No. That's because I've never used an L bracket. For me, using a tripod is all about slowing down, so the increased speed that comes with using an L bracket is unimportant. None of my equipment that I typically use with a tripod is so heavy that I need the weight centered over the tripod, so that benefit of the bracket is also unimportant to me.

For me, the L-bracket is more about safety than speed. But speed of use is how it is safer.
I use the L-bracket (or AS plate), so that I do NOT drop the camera when trying to attach it to the tripod.
I HATE trying to screw in the tripod screw and holding a heavy/awkward camera+lens. I don't feel safe until the screw is in at least 3 turns of the thread for my light stuff, or all the way down for my heavy stuff.

If you want to try one, this is a fairly inexpensive clamp+plate to try out the idea.
https://www.amazon.com/UTEBIT-Unive...ss+quick+release+clamp&qid=1582244372&sr=8-16

Another benefit of some L-bracket is, you can attach the right strap to the L-bracket, and get the strap away from the top of the camera, and out of the way of your right hand. After I tried this, I now have most of my cameras configured this way, with the right strap on the L-bracket.
Note, not all L-brackets have a place to attach the strap. So if you want to do this, you have to get a L-bracket with a place for the strap, like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Verti...ywords=camera+l-bracket&qid=1582245215&sr=8-3

The alternative to an L-bracket is to use a QR plate like the Bogen/Manfrotto ones, if you have a matching head.
I have the Bogen hex plate on my 4x5 view camera.

The "problem" with the L-brackets, is with the cameras with swinging rear screens.
The vertical part of the L-brackets gets in the way, preventing the screen from swinging all the way open.
Some L-brackets are made in 2 parts, with the vertical part being able to unscrew from the bottom plate.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom