Why I chose the Z6 as my new camera system for the next 10 years

no wonder, you don't have to turn off the D7000. :p
In a dSLR vs mirrorless discussion, that is a pretty good statement.
I can shoot my D7200 all weekend and Monday, on a single charge. So, I stopped carrying a spare battery.
Whereas my Olympus will only shoot for 4 hours, or less. Continuous on, same shooting situation as the dSLR, sports, where there is very little opportunity for the camera to go to sleep.
The "or less" refers to different run times for different camera and lens combinations. One combo will drop the run time down to only 2-1/2 hours. For this reason, I have FIVE batteries for one of my mirrorless cameras.​

I learned earlier in this thread that I can use the the D7000's EN-EL15 batteries in the Z6 (but can't charge them while in the camera). Now the reverse question: Can I use the Z6's
EN-EL15b batteries in the D7000?

Answer: I just now realized I accidentally skipped an important part of the pertinent Nikon web page that answers that question: "The EN-EL15, EN-EL15a and EN-EL15b Rechargeable Li-ion batteries are cross-compatible."

Last edited:
Have you downloaded the searchable pdf manual yet??
I did that a long time ago when I first began researching which camera systems I might buy. However, now that I own the camera, I'm primarily using Thom Hogan's how-to PDF recommended by Nick. That's working out really well so far. It's funny though that it takes 255 pages to get to the first explanation about how to take a picture. Understandable, but still really funny!

I bought my camera from Todd (F15Todd) here at the Cafe. The transaction was wonderful and I already have two more reasons I would always want to buy cameras from him in the future: He sends the camera with both batteries already charged and his diopter setting for the viewfinder works perfectly for me. :ROFLMAO:

Edit: Yet another reason: he lives in the time zone I live in, which means I don't have to change any date or time settings.

Last edited:
Imagine having been an avid photographer since 1983 that has never used any equipment using image stabilization. Now imagine using state-of-the-art image stabilization for the first time today. That was exactly my experience.

Three times in a row I made handheld photos viewed in the Z6 rear LCD at 100% that were sharply in focus using a shutter speed of 1/5 second. Using my previous camera system, which has no image stabilization, I would have shot at no less than 1/100 second and preferably 1/140 second. YOWZA!

Things have changed a lot in the ten years since you bought and started using your D700..... Image stabilization has been a huge game-changer. Don't need to have a tripod in hand each and every place we go.....many shots that would not have been possible years ago are now, thanks to IBIS and OSS....... Today's cameras are a whole new experience, both DSLRs and mirrorless! Looking forward to seeing the images you get with your new camera!

Mike,
The other benefit of IS is just aiming the lens.
With a long stabilized lens or camera, I can HOLD the AF point on a subject, without the subject bouncing all over the viewfinder.
It is this function that has I regularly use.

Imagine having been an avid photographer since 1983 that has never used any equipment using image stabilization. Now imagine using state-of-the-art image stabilization for the first time today. That was exactly my experience.

Three times in a row I made handheld photos viewed in the Z6 rear LCD at 100% that were sharply in focus using a shutter speed of 1/5 second. Using my previous camera system, which has no image stabilization, I would have shot at no less than 1/100 second and preferably 1/140 second. YOWZA!
Now imagine having an age related tremor.

I purchased a Nikon MB-N10 battery pack, but I currently have no Z6 or Z7 body. Not sure if I should still get another Z6 or sell the battery pack, I realize I need grips no matter what! :D

I completed my new camera system today with the purchase of the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF-P lens used from Adorama for $519. It's rated "OB," which means it's out of the box, like new, carries the full Nikon warranty and may have been used for retail display purposes, training purposes or may have been returned by a customer without original packaging.

EDIT: It had the original packaging but the exterior of the box is slightly beat up. That makes me think it was a returned item.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom