Why I don't have may birds at my feeder

Discussion in 'Birds' started by EdMac, Dec 4, 2005.

1. This hawk has been harassing my birds. Today, I saw it in my tree. Of course, I only had the 28-105 mounted on the D100. This was taken at 100 mm f4 1/60 sec hand held. One of these days, I will have the long lens mounted, when it shows up. Maybe I can then post a good shot.:smile:

[​IMG]

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    What A Pretty Raptor!

Is is a hog sized Merlin?

3. Ed certainly no reason to apologize for this image. It is great!
    Dave

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Ed, I think you did pretty well considering that this is only 100mm. :smile:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ed
    He is pretty close to shoot with that lens. Wow if you had the long one on.
    What a gorgeous bird. Good job.

6. Ed
    Great shot he must have been close, I agree with Jim in looking at my Sibley's it is a Merlin

7. Hawk

Hi Jim,
    Here is a shot from a couple days ago. I thought that it was a imature Coopers Hawk. I would guess it is 12- 15 inches high.:smile:

[​IMG]

8. Hawk

Hi Dave,

Thanks. I had a much better sho lined up the other day. At that time, I had the 80-400 mounted. Just before I shot, my wife chased the hawl lol:frown:

9. Close

Hi Gale,

It was about 20 feet away. Just prior to that, it was sitting on my deck railing. Now that is close lol.

10. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Definitely not a Coopers

Way to much white on the belly.

We've had several over sized female Merlin's up here this fall and I'm guessing that's what it is. Also...the markings on the head match up with the Merlin's I've been seeing along the coast here in Massachusetts.

11. Confused

Hi Mike,

I hear you, but I am still not sure. The size seems correct. I have just never seen one before. Tomorrow, I wil leave the 80-400 on the camera lol

12. Merlin

Thanks Jim. This is a new one on me. Around here we usually see Coopers and Red Tail hawks. The other day, a red tail was buzzing my place.:smile:

13. Ed In the Sibleys the markings over its head make me believe it is a Merlin and not a Coopers Hawk

14. Hi Mike,

My Sibleys is not handy, so I have been using Peterson. The size makes me believe that You and Jim are probably correct. Thanks

15. Only 100 mm

Hi Frank,
    I guess that you have to do what is necessary under the circumstances. The big lenses are great, but they don't do much in the case. This guy shows up randomly in my back yard. Thanks.

16. Sorry guys, everyone's wrong. I'm fairly certain its a Juvenile Sharp-shinned--otherwise a Coopers'...but no way is that a Merlin. The tail protrusion is way, way too long for a Merlin! A merlin is 10-12" total! And there is not even a hint of a mustache, nor would a Merlin have a mottled back the way this bird does.

Hawks are tough. You need to use multiple guides. Sibley's is NOT always the best, especially for hawks. Photographic guides are usually better. For hawks, a must-have is Wheeler & Clarks "Photographic Guide to North American Raptors" On page 34, lower right corner, you'll see this bird to the "T". Juvenile Sharp-shinned.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/06...103-5417004-2416661?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

17. One more thing, regarding tail protrusion. This is an important field mark in many birds. Note how long the tail extends beyond the wing tips. Accipiter! A falcon has much longer wings relative to the body, and the wing tips will nearly reach the bottom of the tail. For comparison, look at Jim's fantastic Peregrine photos posted today--note how short the tail appears relative to the body. (A Merlin is a falcon, for those of you who might not know.) The whole "Jiz" of this bird is wrong for falcon. Everything about it says Accipiter. Now, I would not bet my D200 that it is a Sharpie vs a Cooper's...there are indicators for each here, the whiter belly says Cooper's, the eye-line says Sharpie. The white-terminal tail band says Cooper's. So I'm leaning again towards Cooper's...i keep going back and forth! Its a tough call, but its not a Merlin!

18. Sharp Shinned or Coopers

Hi Janet,

Thanks for your comments. I usually don't get to photograph too many hawks, so I am easily confused.:smile:

19. I stand corrected thanks Janet for the ID I knew you would come along and give us a definitive answer.
    Thanks

20. Verdict--Cooper's

Thanks Mike, I do of course make plenty of mistakes! :redface: And immature hawks are some of the most difficult to pin down. :confused: In this case I was still not 100% sure re: Sharpie vs. Cooper's so I sent Ed's links to a more expert friend of mine. His verdict: Cooper's. Here's his reasoning:

"For what it’s worth: Cooper’s Hawk.

At 15-1/2”, it’s way too big for Sharpie. (Ask you friend to measure the links in the fence. I’m pretty sure he will find that the diamond shapes in the link fence are each 3-1/4” tall.) She’s almost 5 links tall while a Sharpie should be more like 3-1/2 links tall.

I think that the amount of white on the back and belly is diagnostic. What few streaks exist are thin and not blotchy. Cooper’s Hawk can have a white supercilium. It is not diagnostic.

The white terminal tail band is big and obvious. I don’t think it would be this big on a Sharpie. Seeing a white terminal band in an imm Accipiter in flight, usually eliminates Sharpie. Depending on the time of year, a lack indicates nothing since it will wear off over time.

It’s also more flat headed than I would expect a Sharpie to be and the eye appears to be pushed further forward of center."