1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Why I hate Tamron...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by lanthier, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Some of you know that I vowed to never own another Tamron lens after a really bad experience with their customer service. Well, I reneged on my vow and bought the Tamron 70-200 2.8. Since I have received it, I have had trouble placing the lens collar on the lens, very difficult for me to find the exact right way to correctly seat the screw. Seriously, it can take five minutes. So I wrote:

Hello!

I have a Tamron 70-200 2.8 for Nikon mount. I continually have to fight
    with my lens collar to get the screw in exactly correctly. It just does
    not seem to seat correctly and takes a lot of fidgeting with it to get
    to seat. I swear that it can take me up to five minutes to get it secured.

Is this normal behavior? Or is it defective? It is driving me crazy...

Rich

Tamron's Response: " Do you have this problem with any other lenses? Once it is attached, does the camera have any problems communicating with the lens"

WHAT?:mad: 

My Response:
    Um, no, I am talking about the lens collar, not the lens mount. There is no problem mounting the lens to the camera, rather mounting the lens collar to the lens. Hope this is clear.

Rich

Tamron's Response: "
    I'm not sure what you mean by lens collar. Do you mean tripod mount or the lens hood?"

WHAT?:mad: :mad: 

My Response:
    Wow, yes the tripod mount. Really right stuff and many other companies refer to these as lens collars...

Tamron's Response:
    I'm sorry that you're having trouble taking it on and off. Most people just leave it on all the time because it can be slightly awkward to attach. Be sure that it is unscrewed all the way before trying to attach it, to minimize difficulty.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me!

WHAT?:mad: :mad: :mad: 

My Response:
    My question to you is:

Should it take five minutes to seat the screw in the collar? If yes, then you have a design flaw. If NO then it is defectie and should be replaced. Please let me know your answer, or escalate my question to someone who can.

Thanks,

Rich

Tamron's Response: Nothing...

Oh why don't I stand by my vows!!!:actions1:

2. Although I do not have prior experience with Tamron lenses, my advice is to leave the lens collar on, or to have it serviced as a defective lens if it is really bothering you.

3. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Ouch, sorry Rich! Sounds like some cookie cutter/get-out-of-my-inbox responses :frown:

4. shuda bought a nikon:biggrin:

5. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    The responses almost sound automated!

6. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I rented the 70-200 Tamron a couple weeks ago... Had zero trouble getting the lens collar on and off. The screw is a little bit funny, but didn't take more than a few seconds to get it on and off.

7. OCIR

OCIR

Mar 24, 2009
    MD
    I hate Tamron too. Gave them four chances by buying 4 different lenses thinking it will be better this time but each one had some kind of problems. Ended up selling all 4. Anyway, that's a horrible customer service. Seems like they were eager to drop you off instead of helping you with your issues.

8. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    It sure does sound automated. Maybe some guy in India filled in a couple words here and there.

9. Well I don't have any problems with the lens collar , but the built in motor sucks. I've got the new Nikon on pre-order. Soon as it arrives , the Tamron goes e-bay .

10. WOW. if you had that much trouble over a lens collar problem and they could not help you, then I guess there so called "6 year warantey" is a joke.

I would try and call them on the phone and ask to talk to a tech.

11. I hate shooting handheld with their collar on though!

Yeah Jerry, see below for the final message...

12. Hey Randy, new Nikon is on order, this is the placeholder!

13. Seems like this one must be defective then. I have little trouble getting it off, it is getting it ON that is the problem :wink:!

Yep, this has been my experience with them on two occasions. Now I plan on sticking to my initial vow!

14. SOunds like mine is a problem then. I like the optics, hate the focus. I too have the new Nikon on order.

Don't get me started David! Oh I already have obviously... :tongue:

15. The Latest Volley

Tamron's response:

Hello Richard,

Please send the collar to :

Tamron USA
    Attention: Ric Rizzo
    10 Austin Blvd.
    Commack NY 11725

Upon receipt we will evaluate the problem , and repair or replace it . Please send it along with
    a brief description of the problem and a copy of your proof of purchase.

Stay tuned!

16. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I'd be sure to include a copy of your email correspondance with them :) 

And yeah, shuda bought a Nikon (kidding, sort of).

Steve

17. It's on order it was always a placeholder! HONEST!!!:m58: I am a Nikon and Sigma man (never had problems with Sigma or Nikon).

Cheers all! :m33:

18. Being told to leave the collar on is absurd. If they wanted you to leave it on then don't make it a removable component. That is a horrible answer and from those responses I would be inclined to return or sell the lens and not deal with them again.

On the other hand, if you really like the lens and the optical quality is giving you great images then you have to decide whether you want to send it to them to see if perhaps your is just a bit flakey or ask for it to be swapped, or just live with it. I always hate when those are the choices.

19. intruder61

intruder61

Dec 16, 2008
    australia
    were you drunk trying to fit the "lens collar"?:biggrin:

20. Maybe once :wink:, but not when I was the photographer at a vacation bible school, honest! :Angel:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.