Why I Left Nikon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rick Waldroup, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Back in 1967, I mowed lawns all summer long, saved my money, and then bought my first real camera from a local pawn shop, a Nikon F with a 50mm lens. I have been a Nikon shooter ever since, until recently.

When I started making money with a camera in the early 70's, I kept shooting Nikons because I thought it was the best pro system available. However, for my personal use, I started experimenting with other systems and formats such as rangefinders and large format cameras, up to 8x10 in size.

Back in May of this year, I retired from the photo biz and have been concentrating on personal shooting and selling for stock every now and then. I took a serious look at all of the Nikon pro gear I had and decided, after 40 years of being a Nikon shooter, it was time to make a change. I sold every piece of Nikon equipment I owned (except for a small Coolpix P&S) and moved to the 4/3 system. I also purchased a Ricoh GRDII P&S. The idea, in my mind, was to make my gear smaller and more compact. Also, I just felt like it was time for a change.

So here is my question. Have any of you ever seriously thought about leaving Nikon and moving to another system or another type of format? If so, why? I would really be interested in your thought processes because when I made my decision, my family thought I had lost my mind. Either that, or I was going through some type of mid-life crisis. :smile:

2. Rick

You haven't lost your mind you're just getting old and delusional...:biggrin:Sorry, you left the door open...... All kidding aside I do lust over a Hasselblad 503 medium format but can't justify the price with my current skill set. I think I'll eventually go this route but not after I tire of a D3 if that's even possible.......Call it mid life crisis but after 25 years of ownership I sold off two of my best collector cars and am considering a new Honda Fit. My buddies think I'm nuts but I was seeing my car collection as a feeble and expensive attempt to retain my youth...People and their desires change over time so if it fells good to you go with it and have fun.......

Cheers

Ted:smile:

3. Yes...

Yes, I have been toying with the idea of trying Canon and see what the fuss is all about - I will definitively get a Leica M manual (film) and digital.

The idea of going over to Canon was the 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 AFS before the D3 came out. Now I am still thinking about Canon and will eventually rent a system and try it. At the time I thought about it I had not that much invested in Nikon and a complete kit either Canon or Nikon - would come to about the same amount of money.

Right now with the D3 I am pretty content but that Leica calls me.

BTW I hope you stick around

4. I really like my Nikon system. I do not think that I would change brands very quickly or easily. I did come close to changing formats earlier this year though when I got my first 4x5. When I got the 4x5, I was looking for a challenge in my photography. But even with that purchase, I still kept my 35mm and digital gear. I like the versitilty of the Nikon setup. I feel that is the reason why I stick with it.

God Bless,
    David

5. I think about switching systems from time to time. I doubt I'll ever do it - mostly because I haven't mastered the one I currently use.

6. I went from Canon to Nikon in the mid-90s when an EOS body died; I liked the ergonomics and that was that. I didn't feel like I was switching or becoming a 'convert' - it was just investing in something that felt better. I could have stayed with Canon and made all the same images that I have over the last 15 years, but I happened to have the luxury of getting something that felt a little more intuitive - it didn't make me more talented or competitive in the work I could produce.

Sean

7. I recently switched from Canon and have lots of affection for the EOS system. Both brands have strengths and weaknesses. Had Zeiss relesed their Canon mount stuff a few months earlier I would have stayed Canon. Nikon is weak on the longer end at reasonable prices. Canon are weak on the wider end. I prefer the D700 to my ex 5D but the Canon lens line-up if definately stronger overall. BUT, all sense aside, sometimes you just fancy a change and a new challenge and that is cool. Have fun with your new gear. Enjoying our hobby is why we do it ... for me anyway ;-)

8. Nothing wrong with trying a different system or two. I could never understand why some get upset if another brand is better or not. This is not a marriage or a commitment.....it's just a photographic tool.
    So.... so what if it's a mid-life crisis.....if it helps you then that's fine.

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!

Very true! Look at my equipment below.

10. Nope. I take casual peeks at other systems, and admire their features. But I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting from my Nikon gear, so there's no motivation to consider changing platforms.

I take casual peeks at pretty girls, too, but I'm staying with Nancy. 36 years and counting.

Hmmm :rolleyes:.

11. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    maybe

I am just not sure that anyone ever really leaves Nikon, if you look you probably have a few bodies and lenses hiding out in the closet.

H3 prices have started to fall, might want to check them out?

It's taking pictures every day that is important, not the hardware!

12. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Having both a full Canon kit and now Nikon kit I'm very happy coming over to the Nikon side. (The Canon gear will be going shortly) Image quality and lenses aside, I find it more 'enjoyable' shooting with Nikon. I like the small subtle things that the designers have incorporated and I never played well with the Canon flash system.

I haven't found the Nikon glass that I wanted to be lacking- I shot 70-200 f/2.8 so the lack of f/4 lenses didn't affect me. The 200 f/2 was $2k less than Canon's counterpart but that savings I was so happy to enjoy got sucked up by the price difference with the 400 f/2.8.

The Nikon 17-55 is a better built lens than my Canon but I do miss the image stabilization and lighter weight that the Canon 17-55 offered me.

The Canon 10-22 was better than my Sigma 10-20 but not by enough to make it an issue. My 85 f/1.4 has better IQ than my Canon 85 f/1.8 but the focus isn't quite as fast.

Aside from Canon none of the other brands offer me anything that I'm looking for currently so I think I'll be a Nikon shooter for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't hesitate switching systems again if the right gear came along that would suit my needs better but with current technology as advanced as it is I don't anticipate that we will be seeing anything that compelling in the near future.

13. Yeah, some people peak when they're young. And, some people peak when they're old. Then again, some people peek all their lives!:biggrin:

14. No other small format for me, the handling and layout of the Canon system is simply unacceptable for me. Next move will be to MF.

I dont see any benefits of shooting two systems, not for my business or personal use.

15. Well Peter and Uncle Frank, as far as the mid-life crisis goes, I have been having a hard time explaning to my wife this sudden fascination I have with watching American Beauty over and over and over.....:biggrin:

Thanks for all of the responses. It is interesting to get everyone's take on this subject.

16. Paul, I am really interested in the new micro 4/3 system being introduced by Panasonic and Olympus. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Is this not a gorgeous camera or what?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092208olympus_micro_four_thirds.asp

17. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I don't know if I'll be switching soon to Canon because it would certainly cost me a fortune to get the same gear ( not to mention that Canon doesn't make some of the lenses I have like the 10.5 ) but other than that I happily brought Hasselblad and Leica to my Nikon family and everyone is getting along just fine. One tool for each job :wink:

18. schwann

schwann

Sep 7, 2008
    San Antonio. TX
    After Canon screw** me out of several hundred $$ in rebates, I switched to Nikon.....glad I did....

19. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    The only reason why I am currently using Nikon and not Canon is the D100 was in stock and the 10D was not when I decided to build a DSLR system. During my film days I was using an Olympus OM and Leica M4.

I guess you are all stuck with me for now :)

20. Never entered my mind. I know that both Nikon and Canon make good cameras and lenses but I started with Nikon and I stay with Nikon. The momentary shifts of position with the two manufacturers does not affect me at all.