1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Why I love Nikkorf AIS

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nikkor AIS, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    My Nikkor 105 1.8 AIS showed up from a cafe member today.(Thanks Scott) And after opening up the box and attaching it to my D3 somthing came to me. I love Nikkor AIS and always will:Love:. Its something about the silky smooth focusing:cool: . Its the weights and the positive aperture clicks. Its the sharpness and color uniformity with all my other Nikkor AIS. There has never been a better system of lenses, filter's, tubes, bellows TC's and body's.That works for me. Every time I manage to get another nikkor AIS Im totally blown away 8mm-800mm(15 total). This month I replaced my beloved Nikkor 8 mm 2.8 AIS and a 105 1.8 AIS. Im working hard labor 10 hours a day and all I can think about is getting out at lunch to shoot. And shooting after work. My hat is off Nikon for making such amazing "windows to my world" NikKor AIS.

Gregory

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    The thing I hate about Nikkor lenses is that the focus turns in the wrong direction.

3. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    You know, I hate when my own lines get used against me:redface:.
    Back on point. The Nikkor AIS system of 6mm-2000mm is still king. My 5 year old wants the white one:) .(2000F11 AIS) The fact that Nikon lets me use 25 plus years old nikkor's with my D3/D2H/F4/F2 is one of the things I love about nikkor AIS. The build quality of the nikkor AIS is second to none.

Gregory

4. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    That's what i used to think too ........then i tried a ziess.

5. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    so then the build quality of the Nikkor AIS is second to one?

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Ziess is nice:smile:. Iv got a 1936 180 2.8 Olympia Sonnar:eek: . And Iv seen the new ones. Lets just say, they dont make them like they used to:tongue:.
    The classic Nikkor AIS system is the like no other. The Canon FD system was close but still Nikkor AIS still has the edge considering I can use the Nikkor AIS with nikon's new Digital body's. And the great thing is a working man like myself can afford to buy into the system. Im going into the city a little early to do some shooting before going into the bubble.

Gregory

7. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    Greg

I'd be interested in some shots with that 105 1.8, if you have some time
    I have been looking at it for a while
    bwt it, the 105 2.5, and a couple of others
    I don't do alot of people, or I probably would just go with the 2.5

thanks

8. I am with you Gregory, I love Ai-S lenses.
    I had a good inventory of high quality AF Nikkor lenses when I tried my old Ai-S 50mm f/1.4 on my DSLR.
    To cut a long story short, I ended up selling all my AF glass and got a full range of high quality Ai(S) lenses - loved it!
    However, last year my wife got a DSLR (D70s) and told me clearly that she did not want to shoot with MF lenses.
    Sooooo.....I went back to AF, buying again most lenses that I had previously and selling my Ai(S) inventory (I kept a couple of gems though :smile:) .

9. I am another club member. I really love the feel of the AIS lenses, they are extremely well built, with solid and smooth operation, and great image quality in many of them.

10. I've got two of them for portraits.....the 135 f/2 and the 105 f/2.5. They are superb lenses...both optically and mechanically.

I've also got left over from my older Canon film days a Kiron 70-210 and a Canon 28 f/2. In general, short of long telephotos they don't build 'em like the old days, no matter if many of the newer lenses perform better on digital cameras, and autofocus to boot.

11. Since 1969(my first SLR-Praktica Super TL), I've owned all the major brands of SLR and their lenses at one time or another(except Minolta-never liked 'em). In general, the Leica R, Leica M, and current Zeiss ZF are all mechanically (and optically)better than the typical Nikon AiS of any era. The Zeiss Contax lenses were slightly better built than AiS also. Nikon 'loses a lot of points' for their famous similar metals helicoids, which depend on the presence of a thick layer of relatively fresh grease to avoid self-destructing. There are exceptions: the expensive Nikon telephotos tended to be extremely well made, for example. I've found that it helps improve the longevity of the Nikon helicoids to have the original grease replaced with a stiffer material---the stiff grease seems to last longer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.