Why I really like the Nikon Cafe

For many years I participated on another web site’s Nikon forum but the gotcha quotient was very high. Although I have been a member of the Café for the last 5 years, I hadn’t visited the site very often. However, when I discovered that it took 300 posts to view the used equipment forum, I decided to pay more attention to the Café. I’m really glad I did for two very important reasons:

(1) The participants are both knowledgeable and respectful. The gotcha quotient is nonexistent and there are few if any efforts to score points at the expense of other participants.

(2) Many of the pictures that are posted are exceptional and some are stunning. Requests for criticism are met with helpful suggestions that the rest of us can benefit from considering.

I still visit the other site for reviews and announcements but the Café forums are the best!

For many years I participated on another web site’s Nikon forum but the gotcha quotient was very high. Although I have been a member of the Café for the last 5 years, I hadn’t visited the site very often. However, when I discovered that it took 300 posts to view the used equipment forum, I decided to pay more attention to the Café. I’m really glad I did for two very important reasons:

(1) The participants are both knowledgeable and respectful. The gotcha quotient is nonexistent and there are few if any efforts to score points at the expense of other participants.

(2) Many of the pictures that are posted are exceptional and some are stunning. Requests for criticism are met with helpful suggestions that the rest of us can benefit from considering.

I still visit the other site for reviews and announcements but the Café forums are the best!
Agreed

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
John, much as you have said, I feel that the Nikon Cafe has been able to create an atmosphere of respect and camaraderie that most forums lack. It's been my favorite web site for many years, and I hope, for many more.

Thanks for the post!

Couldn't agree more ….
I don't do a lot of looking at other forums (of any interest not just photography) but when I do I always seem to see a lot of bickering , down right meanness & internet fighting and sorry to say stupidity ….

However this forum is top notch --- great people with similar interests who 99% of the time treat others with respect , offer help and suggestions and support each other ….
I've not only learned a lot on this forum I've also "met" people who I respect and consider friends though I'll probably never meet them in real life ….

ron

I agree! I also migrated from another Nikon site with a high "gotcha" score. Long live the Nikon Cafe!

Hi John,

There is a pretty sizable NVa contingent on the Cafe. I'm not shooting as much now, just kid activities and family portraits for personal use. I continually come back to the Cafe because of the moderated, civil discussions provide knowledge, humor, insight and value that I'm unable to find in other online forums.

There is indeed a lot of top notched photography going on here. It's just not the camera... :biggrin:

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Hi John. I agree with your every word. I drop in most every day.
Cheers.
Mike

John, I could not agree more. Though my time spent shooting has dropped down to almost non-existent, and my involvement with Nikon Cafe discussions has become rare, there is seldom a day that I do not drop in to see what is happening on the Cafe.

John, like you I used to be a member of that "another website Nikon forum." Like you I stopped contributing and giving some of my humble advise to the younger photographers always avid for learning better techniques.
In more than one occasion I had a nasty behaviour from the moderators and twice I had members criticizing my work in a very disrespectful manner. I accept all kind of critique but I only ask for respect when doing so.
I have been a member of Nikon Cafe for sometime now. Only in two occasions a moderator contacted me to clarify something. I was treated with respect and I was even given the opportunity to issue my own opinion at the time. In both cases the moderators were right and both incidents, minor in importance were solved.
During the time I have been a member I had the opportunity of meeting some people here that eventually became good friends of mine. I have no questions in my mind, some of the nicest ladies and gentlemen I know visit the forums on a daily basis.
This is a great community and it has made me feel at home sharing my advise and work with all of you.
I consider an honor and a privilege being a member of Nikon Cafe.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

While I don't post images as often as I once did (Very senior parents with heath problems) I do keep a monthly thread going. AS I've said in the past this is the very best web place I think for community. Even though many of our members now use m43 cameras, they still contribute to the knowledge here.

I don't frequent the equipment forums much any more but I do love our image forums.

John, I do agree that the Cafe has been very civilized for the most part, but sometimes egos run high here as well. I think the Cafe has 'loosened up' a bit lately. I try to report posts that escalate to namecalling but I remember the last time I did this, nothing was done. Also for the first time, I had to put two people on ignore (which by the way doesn't work since I can still see them :rolleyes: :biggrin: )

Real Name
Tim
I agree 100% - I'm a scrub when it comes to photography but I always get good feedback that isn't condescending....I enjoy it purely as a hobby and the info I get and responses I get to what I *do* post are always positive (and I'm always self conscious enough to second guess any photo I post...)

Real Name
Mike
...I think the Cafe has 'loosened up' a bit lately. I try to report posts that escalate to namecalling but I remember the last time I did this, nothing was done...
While we didn't respond to you directly, we did take immediate action on the reported post.

One of the motorcycle forums I read has a few bullies that like to torment people nonstop. I find some people get brave when they are "protected" by hiding behind a keyboard. With that said, the cafe is a great place to visit.

I google searched a few years back to find out where all the Nikon forums were, and I definitely like this one the best. I never visit the others unless they come up as a search result for something I'm interested in reading up on at that moment. Other than that, I come to Nikon Cafe just about everyday. It's the only forum I care to use.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom