Why I want a Z70

JLH

I resisted as long as I could but finally had to give in to progress. I have added a Z5 and a Z50 to my collection. I am quite happy with both but as I learn more and get comfortable with them I see the writing on the wall. I have some Canon L series glass and have had to use a Canon D7 Mk II in order to use them. But now, with my Nikon Z's and a Fringer adapter I have found near perfection. I am selling the D7 and will likely let go of at least one of my D7xxx bodies.
The results with the Fringer on the Z body with the L series lenses is just amazing. I especially like the 100-400 Series 2 L lens on either of the Z bodies. It is impressive to say the least. Now as I use it more and more I reflect on my D500 and how much I would love to have an upscale crop frame Z body more like that. From what I read that may just happen. When it does I will trade in my Z50 and move up. Between the fine S lenses and my Canon L glass I see a lot of potential. I don't think I am alone in my longing for a "better" crop frame Z body.

Real Name
Andrew
No, you are not alone. I'm in the same boat. I absolutely love my D500, but want the performance in AF of that camera in a Z mirrorless DX body.
I think we will see that here in 2022 or 2023.

Rumor has it that Nikon will release the Z9 in fall of 2021. They are promising a system performance level better than the Nikon D6. Now, I've used the Nikon D5 and that AF and system performance as damn near bulletproof. If Nikon gets this right, and I have every faith that they can and will - this tech often trickles down to the higher performance mid tier bodies. Example - the D500 which has an AF system that is basically the same as a D5.

If they give the world a DX equivalent of a Z9 with roughly 20fps and class leading AF - they will have people lining up at the door throwing money at them. Me being one of those. :)

Real Name
Leif
A Z30 is higher priority to pull in new users.

The problem with a Z70 is the lack of lens support, no 24-70mm equivalent, no 70-200 equivalent.

I‘ve given up waiting, I will get a Z6.

I think we should ask ourselves what would make a Z70 a significant upgrade from a Z50, and would those requirements make it as big as a Z6?

I would want IBIS and focus-shift shooting. I think most would want D500-level AF performance, but that would not be a priority for me. In fact, if they could replicate the performance of the D7200 with all of the advantages of mirrorless in a package somewhat smaller than a Z6 I would be very interested.

Real Name
Leif
I think we should ask ourselves what would make a Z70 a significant upgrade from a Z50, and would those requirements make it as big as a Z6?

I would want IBIS and focus-shift shooting. I think most would want D500-level AF performance, but that would not be a priority for me. In fact, if they could replicate the performance of the D7200 with all of the advantages of mirrorless in a package somewhat smaller than a Z6 I would be very interested.
For me the Z fc ticks enough boxes thanks to the flippy screen and focus stacking. The lack of lens support kills it for me.

I think you’re right, but at the moment I don’t think Nikon have cracked the AF at this price point, for birds in flight and sports it needs to be better. Yes according to Nikon the Z9 will have class leading AF, but can they do it in an affordable semi pro camera?

A Z30 is higher priority to pull in new users.

The problem with a Z70 is the lack of lens support, no 24-70mm equivalent, no 70-200 equivalent.

I‘ve given up waiting, I will get a Z6.

Don't hold your breath for Z-DX pro lenses.

For lenses, DX/EF-S has been the stepchild for both Nikon and Canon.
The F-DX and EF-S lens landscapes have MANY holes, forcing you to use a FX/EF or 3rd party lens, IF you can find one.

While Nikon made a DX equiv to the FX 24-70/2.8 (the DX 17-55/2.8), Neither Nikon nor Canon made a DX/EF-S equivalent to the 70-200/2.8, about 45-135. The closest is the Tamron FF 35-150/2.8-4.

When I was looking for a DX version of the FX 70-200/2.8, about 45-135, could NOT find any "in production" lens that came close. Sigma had the "out of production" DX 50-150/2.8, but it was as big and heavy as a FX 70-200/2.8.
I ended up settling on the Nikon FX 70-200/4. But, there were many time where the subject was close, and the 70mm short end of the 70-200 was too long. If the Tamron 35-150 was available when I got my 70-200, I probably would have bought it instead.

And BTW, there is only ONE, Nikon F-DX prime, the 35/1.8.
For this stat, macro lenses don't count as prime.

If you want pro lenses and primes, it appears that Nikon wants to push you up to the more expensive and profitable FX line.

I predict that history will repeat itself, and the Z DX lens landscape will again have MANY holes.

JLH

All good points. If I were guessing at this point looking at the real world of Nikon's profit situation I could see them putting their money and effort into high grade full frame lenses. That is where their main market is, after all. But, I also remember when the D500 came out and they were difficult to find at first. There was a demand for a higher end DX camera. I love my D500 and will not let it go until something much better comes along.
I got the Z50 to adapt to the new technology of mirrorless. The Z50 is a solid camera but not up to D500 level when you look at controls and such. I can see Nikon bringing out a "Z30" to replace the D3xxx series as that was always a good seller (and a solid good value at that price point) and brought people into the fold.
Nikon, like many companies, is dealing with financial challenges. They have to be careful about where they invest their limited resources and consider return on investment. But I can assure them that there are many who are ready for a "Z70" type camera and, as Fry on Futurama said when he was trying to by an "eyePhone": "Shut up and take my money!".

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I resisted as long as I could but finally had to give in to progress. I have added a Z5 and a Z50 to my collection. I am quite happy with both but as I learn more and get comfortable with them I see the writing on the wall. I have some Canon L series glass and have had to use a Canon D7 Mk II in order to use them. But now, with my Nikon Z's and a Fringer adapter I have found near perfection. I am selling the D7 and will likely let go of at least one of my D7xxx bodies.
The results with the Fringer on the Z body with the L series lenses is just amazing. I especially like the 100-400 Series 2 L lens on either of the Z bodies. It is impressive to say the least. Now as I use it more and more I reflect on my D500 and how much I would love to have an upscale crop frame Z body more like that. From what I read that may just happen. When it does I will trade in my Z50 and move up. Between the fine S lenses and my Canon L glass I see a lot of potential. I don't think I am alone in my longing for a "better" crop frame Z body.
This is an interesting post for me. It would be great of you could elaborate some more on how well the Fringer adapter is working, how fast is the AF compared to the 7DMKII and how well tracking works , and hesitance aquiring focus lock etc.

JLH

I want to write more about the Fringer and will get to that in another week or two. Presently we are tied up with two grand kids getting married just a few weeks apart and have lots of family in to stay with us and such. The Z50 with the kit lenses has seen a lot of work with the family and events doing both stills and videos. Everyone who sees the results are impressed that such a small camera can produce such good results. Its been great to just pull the SD card from the Z50, plug it into our 75" Samsung 4K TV and view the results. Everyone has been very impressed with the video from the little Z50 even when shown blown up on that 75" screen. Once these events wind down next week and my guests go home I will actually have more time to devote to the Fringer project. From the times I have used it so far I have nothing but praise for it. The focus seems quite fast and accurate. But, to be honest, I have always felt more comfortable with Nikons over the Canon's due my familiarity with the N brand. I am sure that causes a bit of bias. But, as for results I find the Fringer gives me the best of both brands. For now all my work with it has been stationary objects so I have not done any challenging work with it. That will come however as I do a fair amount of airplanes and birds, something I do better with my D500 than the Canon 7D MkII. Again, some of that is certainly based on me being more comfortable and experienced with my Nikons.
I can say without hesitation that the Canon L 100-400 Series 2 on the Nikon Z is a very impressive performer. As I build up more use with it and get some more interesting shots I will post some examples. I did take it in to my local camera store and my long time pro advisor tried it with her favorite Canon lens the 135 F2 L Series. She was blown away by how fast and accurate it focused on a Z body. She had been on the fence about a Z body Nikon but after trying this lens with the Fringer....in her own words, "This is a game changer!".

I had aZ50 and Z7 combo. The Z50 was a small really nice video camera to bring with me. I would love to get a new aps-c camera for video.

Latest threads

Top Bottom