Why is it so difficult?

As a newbie to the DSLR world I keep being told that taking video on a DSLR isn't easy, and difficult to get good quality. Could someone please explain why this is? I'm not wanting to make technical movies or anything, just holiday filming, days out, our dog playing in the park etc. Would I struggle with this?

Cheers

You can take really wonderful stuff for memories buy just using your DSLR, except for a few things. Even with VR holding a camera steady for a period of time can be hard. Videos with lots of camera motion are hard to view (makes some folks sick). On a tripod setup with a wide angle for a holiday and you can get some very good memories.

But to turn a DSLR into a video camera that takes commercial grade images you need a few things. The dynamic range of the new sensors can take great low light images, but for video if you want a well lighted sceen you need lights. Want the best sound, either an external mic and better yet separate sound recorder. Tripod minimum $500 with small video head or $1000 or more for a real fluid head setup. Want the best video out of a 5200 or 7100, you need an external recorder to record RAW 4:2:2 video.

It's only hard if you want to maximize the quality of your recording to a broadcast quality. That being said a $400 or $500 camcorder is much easier to use for video IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
He just wants it for holiday filming, days out, our dog playing in the park, not a Star wars trilogy. I find mine easy to use and ample for what I need which is similar to the OP, it`s also better than the camcorders I have previously had.

As John mentions, for casual snapshooting it's just as easy as making snapshots with the camera (using P mode). Not a lot to worry about.

As Jeff pointed out, it gets tough when you want to do a Hollywood production. That's probably what those who say SLR Video is hard meant. But that's out of scope.

Thanks guys that's put my mind at rest. Every time I've talked about video quality with the D7100 for example people keep saying it's really difficult to take video, it doesn't autofocus easily etc etc. As long as it's on par with my current sony bridge hx300 I'll be happy :smile:

Autofocus can be an issue, but I generally try and use say f5.6 or f8, focus once and let the DOF take care of focus. Some lenses are very loud when autofocusing and in less than bright light might "hunt for focus". For casual video in the house I use either my Nikkor 12-24 or my Sigma 18-250 (which you can use up to about 50mm and still get good stable images as its OS is very good) . I think the 18-105 kit lens (which I don't own) would also work like the Sigma.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom