Why Is the D800 Video so Dark and Out of Focus

I have a dedicated video cam, so I’ve only tried out the video capabilities on my D800 3 or 4 times. It always comes out dark with very poor resolution, even in bright sunshine. A week or so ago, I set both cams up on a tripod, and videoed the same scene. The video with my dedicated video cam looks good. The video with my D800 is dark with lost detail and not in focus. I’m not too interested in using the D800 for video, but it would be nice to have that second cam capability once in a while, but the quality of the D800 video is so poor, I can not use it. Am I missing something?

I can post the video from both cams so you can see what I am talking about, but I need to figure out how to post them both at the same time so both videos are visible in a split screen. Haven’t figured out how to do that yet.

I figured out how to get the videos side by side. It’s not exactly what I wanted, but it gets the point across. It’s short. 7 seconds. You can see how dark the D800 is and how dull the colors are and how it lacks any detail.

Dedicated video cam on the left, Nikon D800 on the right.

The D800 was made to be more of a cinema style camera where you want the footage to be fairly flat so that you have more latitude to work with when color grading. As such it will look different than a camcorder does straight off of the card.

You can change the color profiles a bit in camera and some people have made custom ones for cinematography: http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-controls/index.html

Sean

+1 - What Sean said (you should see the stock RAW footage out of a BCC Pocket Camera before its graded!).

Well, the way the D800 handles video still doesn’t make any sense to me. I played with it a little in post, and got some improvement, but still nowhere near as good as my video cam.

Also, I guess auto focus does not work in video mode?

Check your camera settings, ie f stop ISO etc.. Just tried mine and it is ok.

Yes auto focus works perfect in video mode this came up as a question on another site I belong to
BUT sound recording is a different matter.
With the camera in live view and auto focus the inboard mike pikes up the camera noise
one I did as a demo

Now with extrnl mike off camera .Music to show extrnl mike working

Last edited:
Even think about a radio mike or putting one on a boom. Note, if you turn off inbuilt camera mike it also turns of extrnl mike as well , not a very well thought out plan

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3 holes for camera onboard mike, so will pick up every refocus noise of lens

AS I said in above post you need to check your camera settings to get the right exposure or I use adobe elements premier 11 to make those adjusttments to light etc as well

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom