Why is this happening?

Can someone please tell me what is going on here? Doesnt happen with every shot, but I would say one out of 3 come out like this. This the setup, d90 in manual using pocket wizards to fire an sb900 and an sb700 in su-4 mode. Narrowed it down to be coming from the sb900. I tried a different body and it had the same results. turned off the sb700 and still had the same results. I did find the f stop on the camera did not match the f stop on the flash? Also the zoom and the camera and flash with not set the same, would either of those things matter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
160, but i noticed it doesnt happen when i use commander mode, and just reattched the pocket wizard to the sb900 and after about 10 shots so far so good. Maybe it was a bad connection with the sync cable?????

Like I said, its working fine in commander mode with the same exposure settings. And it still does it with the pocket wizard attached.

It's not too fast. Even without FP mode it should sync up to 1/250s. It looks to be off thiught thats for sure

I guess it is possible but I don't think so. I tried it with a different body and it still does the same thing

Ok, so Ive tried my d300, d90 and d300s. All seem to work fine with the sb700 firing with the pocket wizard but the sb900 is when it blacks out part of the image. On the d3000 and d90 it blacks out the bottom half, on the d300s the top half. Im looking at both strobes but cant seem to find any differences in settings. wth!

It's definitely the shutter speed. Unusual that 1/160th would be too fast for PW triggers but that's most definitely it. Try 1/125th. Should be ok. And check what the max shutter speed sync is on those triggers. Could be a D90 issue (is that an electronic or manual shutter?).

the max sync speed on the d90 is 1/200 and has fp mode as well. When you say max sync speed for the triggers i assume u mean the pw's right? I talked to pw on the phone today and they didnt say 1/160 was too high.

Yeah. And I just re-read the thread and I saw where you said this problem was just on the SB-900? The other flashes work normally. I wonder if its something with the contacts on the shoe of the flash (the one that's not working properly) or in the sync port if that's how you have it hooked up. Not real sure. Maybe an obscure setting in the flash? Such as rear curtain sync or red-eye reduction? Also is your flash in manual mode when this happens. Standard PW triggers are manual exposure control only, correct?

I am using the sync port. I asked pw about it maybe being a back sync cord and they said they didnt think that would be the issue, the felt that if it was the cord it would either fire or not fire. The flash is in manual mode, i will go through the settings on the flash again to make sure but I think im good there.
Someone suggested I update the firmware on the pw's.

No, none of the cameras were set to rear curtain or red eye. Would it even matter if they were? The pop up flash on the camera isn't up. As far as the camera is concerned it shooting with no flash right?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom