Why is this image so lame?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by rodneyr, Apr 7, 2007.

1. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

In my mind this should be a cool image. As is, it doesnt move me at all....Comments? 76740185.

2. "All comments", huh? Okay.

I'm not a "birder" by any means, so my comments don't come from that experience. Personally for me, a picture has to be sharp......extremely sharp, to make me happy. (at least most usually) There isn't one single thing in this picture which is sharp. Maybe if everything but the high-motioning head was tack sharp it would make me happier...........and maybe you also. Just my opinion.

3. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

Thanks Chris,

That was a problem for sure. I also wonder if there isnt a composition problem...

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    He's goin' @ it huh? Well, the log isn't sharp, if it, and the Pecker's body were real sharp and the head moving fast, may have been ok, you needed more light/speed it appears and camera stability.

Hey, I been in the smokies a lot this week, but didn't see ya man, to bad.

5. I disagree with Chris. A photo can be totally blurred and still look quite good to me. Can make an original appeal.
    Although this one would look better with something in focus.

What makes this picture less attractive to me is the noise and colors. It kind of looks like it's photographed with a good cellphone.

6. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Well I will take a stab at it but firstly mention that I find it has creative merits and a nice crop.

With shots in motion such as this where you want to retain a blurred effect you still need atleast one point(usually your main focus) in focus. For example you could use a rear synch flash here and obtain a sharp image of the woodpeckers head but still see motion as he moves up and down.

Secondly the angle of view leads the viewer out of the image rather than in the image. The woodpecker is facing away from the viewer and the log below him merely helps the viewer stray from the image( as it leads the eyes straight out). As far as angle goes if either you are the woodpecker were on the other side so that he was facing us the log would work fine as would the birds perspective.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Tell you what, that sure shows the speed on the wood pecker at work
    I like it:>))

8. Alex, I said "at least most usually". I'm certainly aware that out of focus pictures can be beautiful. Just don't think this one benefits from the effect.

9. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

I find you have to work at viewing the image it dosn't make it easy to tell what it is , if the shutter was increased a bit so there was some clarity to the head it would work better for me ..

10. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I agree the scene has a lot of potential, but doesn't quite come together. I don't know what the setup was, but I would have tried really stopping down to get the background in focus, then I think the blur would have been more effective. I'd expect you'd need a tripod for that sort of thing.

11. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Actually I find this an interesting "behavior" shot. Along with a classic sharp ID shot this would be a good shot showing what an incredible "shock absorbing" system the WP's have - image the brain impact if it didn't have one.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I think that it would be fine if there was a storm of wood chips flying around. As it is, it is OK, and shows the incredible anatomical strengths of WP's. I'd like to see some chips. :smile:

13. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

Thanks for all the comments folks! Here is another one for comments. Its not fantastic, but I think it has better composition. Anyway, have at it. You guys will see things I dont.

original.

14. I find the only thing interesting is the color and if that is the presentation then I would add more blurr so the colors would be the picture.

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Roosevelt. I like the last shot. One thing that it shows for sure is the speed at which they attach their objectives. :rolleyes:

16. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    Photo #1 Has nothing in the frame in focus and a good bit of camera shake on top of that. The bird blends with his background, poor angle on the bird, composition does not work etc etc. The best way to fix this shot is to hit the little trash can button. (sorry, you ask). .......Every time any of us take a photo we bring our own experiance of the moment to that photo when we view it. With this bird you had a wonderfull moment in time but the photo did not convey this to the viewer. Now lets move to our happy place, photo #2. In this photo YOU did every thing right. This time there is focus, the composition is very good, and the head of the bird is set off by that yellow in the background and then is even balanced by the yellow in the left forground. I have tried for a photo like this for years and every time I push that can button a few hundred more times and hope for next time. All you can do in a situation like this is shoot like mad and try to keep thinking of lighting, frame, background, focus, shutter speed, moon phase, and so on as you shoot and hope that you come out with a winner like #2. The second photo is a very saleable photo in my book as well as something that you should be very proud of.

17. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Oh Yeah, I like the second a lot better. You get the contrast between the sharp/still body and blury head. Idealy I'd still like to see more depth of field and more blur, but you have an excellent shot there.