Why keep the boxes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarkM, May 20, 2007.

1. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Hello all,

I am trying to justify keeping all the packaging and boxes when it seems that for insurance purposes, the receipt, end panel with upc & serial number and photographs would be enough.

I live in a VERY small house and do not have the spare storage places like others have in an attic or basement.

I can understand keeping everything for about a year incase you decide to sell/upgrade but if everything is at least 2 years old is there an advantage to still keeping everything?

Other thought is to throw out internal packaging but store the boxes (flattened) in one larger container.

Any and all thoughts / comments appreciated.

Thanks
    Peace
    Mark

2. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Resale value.

3. Mainly for resale value. Many (most?) of us upgrade to a better lens sometime when we can afford it in the future (see Lens Lust). Many (most?) of us help fund the new purchase by selling the previous lens we replaced. Having the original box helps.

4. I've never understood why having the original box helps. Do people seriously pay more b/c you've got original boxes???? I can show you receipts for everything I own. I've tossed all the boxes to my D70, 70-300, and 24-85. Seeing that it seems to be "the thing to do," I have now saved the D200, 12-24, 50 and 300mm boxes. The 35, 85 and 105 were bought used without boxes. They still work quite fine. :smile:

5. Along with the higher resale value, if you ever have to send the lens for repair, you know that you have packaging that was designed specifically for that lens.

6. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Hey, you could sell them to people like Gretchen who bought used stuff and didn't get the boxes :biggrin:

7. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    I just sent a lens to Nikon for service and the instructions I was given from Nikon included NOT to use the original packaging. I have also seen this instruction from other non-photographic repair centers.

I never thought that people would actually be willing to pay a higher price for an item 2 years old or older just because I kept the box like a pack rat. To me, just because somebody kept the box for 2 or more years does not mean the item is any better than one without the box.

Interesting food for thought here, thanks, looking forward to more comments.

Peace
    Mark

8. Agreed!!! And makes me think that the next time I buy something used and they say they have the box, I'll knock 15% off b/c I ain't payin' for no stinkin' boxes!!! :cool:

9. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    I have kept all my boxes up to this point in time and have been preparing to throw them out due to the space issue and the previous comment that repair centers don't want original packaging anyway. Now I'll have to think about it a bit more.:confused:- Jeff

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Interesting,

Nikon told me to ship my D200 in the original box, inside another box, migt be differnet for a lens vs body?

Wade

11. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi wade-

i sent my D200 in last week and was told not to ship it in the original box. go figure :confused:

FWIW, i keep all my boxes. in the back of my head, i think if i move i'll be able to use the boxes for shipping purposes. i went through our basement last summer because there were way too many boxes of stuff that was long gone (32" tv, several receivers, etc.).

hasn't stopped me from keeping the new boxes though :biggrin:

ricky

12. I keep the boxes because it matters to me. In some cases it has mattered to buyers. If you typically do not sell gear or just dont have room then by all means toss em. I have a few antique valuables that are WAY more valuable as a result of having the original packaging so I always do keep them if possible.

13. Yes, keep the boxes. It will increase the resale value, especially to collectors. Last year, there was an original box for a Leica M3 in mint condition that sold on ebay for 385.00. This was an empty box. Just the box only.

I always keep the boxes. I have a huge box just to hold the boxes.:eek:

14. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    I keep all my boxes. I have a huge pile of gold boxes under a table in my room ;) But really people like having the box when they buy used, so why not. If you really don't have space, then chuck them, but you should try to find space.

15. I am in a small condominium apartment and just don't have the space for empty boxes.....so after I've used a new lens or camera body enough to determine that there are no major issues and that I won't have to return it to the store for exchange/refund, out goes the box. I keep receipts, yes (actually in an old Nikon camera body box, come to think of it!), but generally the boxes go out with the trash. I tend to accumlate lenses and such rather than sell them so that is not a particular concern to me.

16. Boxes do definitely help resale...

If you ever sell your item, it will have a much larger prospect list and you definitely will get a premium on the price, if you are able to say, "Like New in Box".

Even if the item has some wear it will still receive a higher value if you have the original box.

As an extreme example, an original Nikon F empty box can be sold on its own for between $100-$200 on ebay. This is because collectors want to get as close to the original condition as possible...which includes the box.

It also is a sign that you are more meticulous in your ownership of the item.

I also believe it is more important for some of the more expensive lenses or cameras. If you have a consumer lens it is less critical in the resale.

Finally, if you, unlike many of us, don't intend to sell it for several years and you don't have the room to store the box (boxes), then I would certainly suggest that you not lose any sleep over it at all...

Regards,

Paul

17. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Before you toss your boxes, why not offer them in the FOR-SALE section in return for cafe donations?
    I personally would buy some boxes myself, especially for my old AIS collection.

18. My shorter lenses are all stashed safely and securely in Pelican cases and the camera bodies are usually stored in one of my camera bags, usually with a lens on. Longer lenses are in the Think Tank Airport Security bag or in their own Nikon-provided cases. There are times, though, when a camera with lens attached is sitting out on a table ready for me to grab at a moment's notice...... Usually that is during spring (lots of bird activity on our little lake) and winter (ditto, except that this time they're sliding around on ice!)

Most of my lenses, once they have joined "the family" are here for good -- until the time when I can no longer shoot and enjoy using them or any lenses. Hopefully that is years off in the future!

Actually, I wish I had the space to keep all of my boxes but it's just not possible so away they go....

19. That is very surprising. Whenever I have had to send in to Nikon Service, they have always asked me to pack in the lens/body in the original box.

20. I'm hanging onto all of my boxes as well, for resale value.