Why not use the vertical grip???

This photographer was shooting our launch.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You mean there's ANOTHER shutter button...!?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Falls in line with the rest of the bad technique he's displaying :smile:

His seating position doesn't look very stable. And what's that elbow doing on his knee? We all know that the elbow should be on the inside of his knee.

All of my cameras have had grips. I use them when I think about it but many times things happen too quickly for me to bother turning the buttons on and I do exactly what he is doing. It may be poor form, but I can't remember not getting a shot. I have missed several while fiddling with controls though.

I won't switch when I'm quickly going back and forth between landscape and portrait. If I'll be shooting in portrait format for a while I will.

I've never had a grip so if I got one it would probably take a while for it to sink
in that I could use it...

When I got my first cordless phone I would ask the person I was talking with
to hold on then I'd put the phone down and walk across the room to get/do
something... Finally one day while half way across the room it dawned on me,
"It's cordless stupid, you can take it WITH you...! " :biggrin:

I don't see the big deal in making an example out of this guy. I have a D3s and sometimes use the grip, sometimes I don't. I started out with a gripless camera and it became a habit. Labeling this guy as stupid is over the top.

Falls in line with the rest of the bad technique he's displaying :smile:

His seating position doesn't look very stable. And what's that elbow doing on his knee? We all know that the elbow should be on the inside of his knee.
Really? I missed that class. :rolleyes:

I love shooting with a grip, I think though it is because of the cameras I have had(d5000 and d7000). They are both bit small for my hand.

I don't see the big deal in making an example out of this guy. I have a D3s and sometimes use the grip, sometimes I don't. I started out with a gripless camera and it became a habit. Labeling this guy as stupid is over the top.
+1

It is the output that matters. If he's getting the results he is after nobody should give a rat's rectum how he does it.:biggrin:

The proof is in his shots. If they are good, who cares how he gets them.
+1

People in these forums tend to be the type that read 'How to be a Photographer' books so when they see something like this this their only response is 'But, that's not how you do it!' :rolleyes:

1 out of 20 portrait orientated shots I took today was shot using this technique sans the elbow on the knee technique. Old habits die hard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I totally agree - the end results are what matter. Personal preference is exactly that - personal:676: Personally, I have my cameras gripped and it feels unnatural to take a grip off. Just like Phil said - what's wrong with that?:wink: I enjoy seeing others techniques as well as their results because I feel I can always learn something which could hopefully help me be better:eek:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom