Why oh why did I wait so long????

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by jczinn, Feb 12, 2005.

1. to get a dedicated macro lens!! WOW!! I am blown away by the Tamron 90 SP. I think this is the sharpest lens I own (that may not be saying much, since I don't have any of the really sharp prime Nikons) but....WOW! Shots even jumped out as sharp on the LCD.

Just got a few really quick shots around the house this afternoon. It is so easy to use, contrary to what I've heard from some, the AF worked great, and very easy to switch to MF when needed. Now I just need to wait till spring to get some bugs and such. There's only so many close-ups of my cat's nose she will stand for (and too disgusting to post here.)

Here are a couple of test shots. D100, Tamron 90, built-in flash (I was too lazy to take out the SB80dx.) BTW I was also pleased to see that even in macro the built-in flash did not cause a shadow with this lens (wasn't using the hood, though.)

[​IMG]

and it makes a great portrait lens too

[​IMG]

Thank you Gaye!!!! And no, you can't have it back :twisted:

2. Beautiful images Janet. You will have fun with the macro. For small bugs you will probably want to get an extension tube to let you get really close. Good work for your first day with the new lens.

3. Gordon, you don't need extension tubes with a dedicated macro lens. This lens gives 1:1 magnification...that flower you see is no larger than a fingernail! Guess I should have specified that :wink:

I've been using extension tubes and a 500D for my macros but I won't need them much anymore, although I think I may still want more working distance for some skittish bugs like dragonflies and for that would still use the 80-400 with an extension tube.

4. I understand about the 1/1 as I have been using micro lenses for 20 years; however to get small bugs I have found that I needed to get closer. I currently have a 105mm f2.8 micro lens. I did finally sell my excellent bellows because I have moved off into other types of photography. The flowers (even small ones) are quite a bit larger than most crawling critters. By the way, your lens is very sharp as you already have found out. I love the cat shot.

5. Nice macro shots, Janet. Does your cat looking at a mouse? He or she seems very interested in something :D

About skittish bugs, gives the Tamron 180mm f/3.5 macro or the Nikon 200mm f/4 micro a try. I'm sure you will be delighted. IMHO, the Tamron 180mm is a tad sharper than the 90mm (I own the 2 Tamron lenses).

Happy shooting in the macro world.

6. oops I apologize Gordon, I didn't realize the extent of your experience :oops: I do have an extension tube and I'll try it out! Its hard to believe I could get much closer focus! But now I understand what you were trying to tell me :?

Dao, no doubt I will now start lusting after a longer macro such as the 200, but one at a time, lol! I will see if I can stay satisfied for just awhile longer before I buy anything else....

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Janet, I was thinking about macro shooting today, and then you post this. :D :D

Certainly different from birdie shooting, but I think it can be just as much fun. Let us see some more images.... :lol:

Regards,

Frank

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Janet,

I'm delighted you like the lens so much. You will have much fun with it. The pictures really amaze me.. They couldn't be more sharp.

Keep posting so I'll know what I'm missing. Also will get me out using my closeup lens. We have so many bugs and flower here in Florida that I have no excuse for not getting out there. Seeing your shots motivates me.

I'm still thinking about your Cristo's Gates pictures. I've shown everyone who has come into my house and I"ve said I'm a friend of the photographer who took those wonderful shots :D :lol:

Gaye

9. Sharp is right

Janet
    Very sharp and great color you must be thrilled, I have heard good things about this lens and kind of midway in focal length between the Nikon 60 and 180/200 Look forward to you posts. BTW what a beautiful cat.