Why provoke?

I know that this can't really be answered but why do some photographers try and provoke me. I switch out my photo kits depending on what I need to photograph. For 80% of the time all I need is a D700 with the Nikon 28-300mm vr, SB900 or SB700 and a Nikon 50mm f/1.4. More than once in the last month the comment has been made why in the world would you use the 28-300 on the D700. They were said in a superior tone. They don't like it when all I say is I will just have to take terrible photos with it because that is what I have with me. If I have a need for my 2.8's, 1.4's and Macro's I will take them along and use them.

What is correct for me may not be correct for them. My main photography now is shooting my Grandkids. Sorry folks just be a Grumpy Old Man.

Why care?

+1. If you ask, you must have a thick enough skin to deal with ALL the answers. The Cafe is a pretty civilized place. Ask the same questions or post the same comments on one of the other internet fora and see what happens.

My personal philosophy is that I can only control myself (sometimes, and then, imperfectly :biggrin:). And I refuse to give power to the words of others by my reaction to them.

YMMV.

+1. If you ask, you must have a thick enough skin to deal with ALL the answers. The Cafe is a pretty civilized place. Ask the same questions or post the same comments on one of the other internet fora and see what happens.

My personal philosophy is that I can only control myself (sometimes, and then, imperfectly :biggrin:). And I refuse to give power to the words of others by my reaction to them.

YMMV.

I hope I didn't give the impression I was talking about the Cafe. This is a very civil and nice place.

Because they can. It is amazing what people you've never met will say and do from the anonymity of their computer that they would never do in person. I've given up on several forums on various subjects simply because there were too many jerks and I didn't want to have to sift through the garbage to find something useful. That's why I like reading the Cafe.

It's not worth worring about. I have had people on other forums act like I am an idiot because I like shooting primes. I have people tell me I'm nuts because I am happy with my D200.

I dont care - I use the gear I like and I get the pictures I want - In the end isn't that all that matters?

My daughter is borrowing my old D100, an 18-70, my plastic 50 1.8 and Bryan Petersons book on exposure. She has been getting some very good shots of my grandson and she is happy as a clam with the camera and lenses. They work perfectly well.

Now all I need to do is keep her away from the internet so no one can tell her she cant get good pictures with those :wink:

Because they can. It is amazing what people you've never met will say and do from the anonymity of their computer that they would never do in person. I've given up on several forums on various subjects simply because there were too many jerks and I didn't want to have to sift through the garbage to find something useful. That's why I like reading the Cafe.

Your are correct on because they can. These people were not on the internet they were in person and I didn't even know them. I just ran into them when I had my camera out and about. Maybe they had gear envy :biggrin:. I don't care what someone uses as long as they take photos and the results are what they want.

My daughter is borrowing my old D100, an 18-70, my plastic 50 1.8 and Bryan Petersons book on exposure. She has been getting some very good shots of my grandson and she is happy as a clam with the camera and lenses. They work perfectly well.

Now all I need to do is keep her away from the internet so no one can tell her she cant get good pictures with those :wink:

You are wise, grasshopper.... :biggrin: Keep her away from the naysayers.

From Guy Clark's song The Cape:

"He did not know he could not fly
So he did"

the comment has been made why in the world would you use the 28-300 on the D700. .

Put the ball in their court - ask them "Why shouldn't I use the 28-300 on the D700 ?" .
Let them try to explain themselves and start going on about quality difference .
When they tell you that a prime is so much better ask them to show you how much better .
I did tests with my 70-2002.8 compared to the 18-200 at F8 and can't see a difference - some people are just obsessed with numbers and percentages .
Fair enough in low light but when they tell you that you should rather have a prime then ask them "what if I need do suddenly go wider or zoom in on one of the kids and I'm at F8 anyway ? " and let them explain themselves .
Sometimes it is good fun watching these know-it-alls make a fool of themselves when they can't explain their reasons properly :)

Never underestimate the snob appeal of fast glass or pro bodies. People who make comments like the ones you describe are probably insecure wannabees who have enough money for expensive glass, but not the commensurate talent to use it effectively.

The "air of superiority" you describe from those folks is similar to those who would disparage one driving a Chevy rather than a BMW.

A self assured photographer who is good at his profession or hobby will seldom criticize one who deigns to use a lowly 28-300 on a D700. He needs to justify the money he spent on his expensive toys by criticizing yours.

This syndrome is not restricted to photography. I wear a Timex watch to work and the looks and comments I get amaze me.

I've never understood some people's need to be-little or act superior. I always thought the smart thing to do is use what gear you need to get the photos you are looking for. Or if you can afford it, use the gear you want to use.

I ask questions of other photographers - sometimes about their gear. Not to be a butt-head, but because I am curious. I might get an opinion I haven't heard or otherwise learn something.

Most people who make such claims are incapable of taking any picture that requires the quality difference. If you like what you shot, ignore them.

Wow! They'd really have problems with my D700 and 28-200G. More so when I would tell them how I add the Sigma 50 and Tamron 17-35.

Bottom line is that I'll carry what they think I should carry when they start paying my bills.

Wow! They'd really have problems with my D700 and 28-200G. More so when I would tell them how I add the Sigma 50 and Tamron 17-35.

Bottom line is that I'll carry what they think I should carry when they start paying my bills.

Easy for you to say...

from your sig:

AF Lenses:18-70; 14-24; 24-70; 70-200; 35/2; 85 1.4; 300 2.8 AF; 70-300VR; Tamron 17-35 & 90mm; Sigma 50 1.4.

I keed. :tongue: :biggrin:

Easy for you to say...

from your sig:

AF Lenses:18-70; 14-24; 24-70; 70-200; 35/2; 85 1.4; 300 2.8 AF; 70-300VR; Tamron 17-35 & 90mm; Sigma 50 1.4.

I keed. :tongue: :biggrin:

Yeah, I've got some good glass. But my most fun shooting comes from the lenses I mentioned above. I carry that kit with me everywhere.

As a grandchild picture shooter I find there is nothing better that my 28-300mm lens. It handles a variety of situations from sports to candid. If what you are doing does not bother old people children and their pets that why worry.

if what you choose to use on your camera "floats your boat" then go for it! I don't always do what others believe I should do - guess I call it
"thinking/shooting outside the box." I'd just smile politely and say thanks and keep going.

If I'd ask "why do you use that lens?", I'd done it out of mere curiosity.

For me, I don't care what gear any other photographer have. The only gear that matters, si the one you have yourself. If it's fun to use it, who cares if the image quality isn't superb? It's still usable to 90% of what we regular hobbyists use it for.

The most important quality of lenses is those you have fun using. I like primes and MF glass for just that reason. Other people likes zooms because they allow them to get a shot they otherwise wouldn't (without considerable effort).

And the main reason (except for fun and it slows down the process) people are using primes, is that they have lower F-stops.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom