1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Why should I keep my 300 f/4 AFS?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Guest-002, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    As you can see from my signature, I have the 70-200 f/2.8 VR, 300 f/4 AFS and my newest acquisition, the Sigma 500 f/4.5 HSM. I also have 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 TC's. I'm having a hard time rationalizing the 300. The 70-200 will give me 280 and 340 with VR and if I want longer I can use the 500, but not handheld. But I probably can't use the 300 with the TC's handheld anyway. Any thoughts on why I should keep it?

2. I agree, the 70-200 VR + TC1.4x by most accounts/reviews (good samples of both) has similar/on par IQ with the 300 F4

3. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    If you are in a situation where you have to do a lot of hiking with your gear, the 300/4+1.4 TC would get you to 420mm and be a lot lighter than the 500. Plus, you could probably get by without a tripod in a pinch.

Nothing wrong with keeping it "Just in case":smile:
    You could always send me the 500, and your problem would go away.:biggrin:

4. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Chris's thinking is what makes me wonder if I should keep it. There may be occasions where the 500 and the tripod are too bulky and the 300 w/TC and monopod may suffice. I'm just wondering how often that will happen. I guess time will tell.

The 500 ain't going anywhere except on my tripod :) 

5. I have tried pretty much all Nikons long lenses and I'm now down to my combo of the 400mm F2.8 usually with the TC17 on it and the 300mm F4 AF-S, sometimes with a TC14 on it.

The 400 gives me reach and superb image quality and focus speed. the 300 is a great light lens that I can carry on a second body, great for handheld flightshots. Does extremely well with a TC14 for 420mm. And at 300mm it is a very sharp lens, rivalling most Nikon lenses. In my opinion it easily beats the 70-200 with TC's on, and it is lighter. I keep my 70-200 for people shots, but for wildlife it is just plain not long enough.

6. Owenh

Owenh

Nov 24, 2006
    Hueytown, Al.
    300mm / f4 lens

I just got mine & have not had much time to use it. Between work & the
    weather . Seems like everytime I get off of work it is raining !! I have taken
    a few shots with it & seems heavy & I get alot of blurry shots !! I have not
    used a TC yet, I guess practice is my best cure !! I also have the MD-80 on
    my camera which makes it even heavier.

7. I tried the 300/4 for the first time at a "photo day" put on by a local vendor where you could sign out any Nikon lens on hand. I have to admit I was amazed at the IQ - a couple of test shots could have come out of a magazine. But of course you know that already.

But I had a heck of a time hand holding that lens. Since I'm trying to stay away from a tripod/monopod as much as possible, I'm finding more and more that it's VR for me or nothing. Anyway, as much as I like the 300/4 IQ, I would never buy one without VR for my style of shooting regardless of the IQ.

So if I were in your place, I'd sell the 300/4 and stick with the 70-200 + TC for the time being. For the times I might miss the 300 prime I'd wait until Nikon brings out a VR version.

What I did is buy the 80-400VR - and this even though I already own a Sigma 120-300/2.8. If Nikon decides to update its long lenses, my next big lens will be a 400/2.8VR.

Gary

8. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Sooner or later (probably quite soon) Nikon releases a VR version of 300/4 meaning the older one will cost much less. There's a sense to sell yours now :smile:

9. Owenh

Owenh

Nov 24, 2006
    Hueytown, Al.
    I am having a heck of time hand holding this lens, and using a TC on it only
    means I will have to have a tripod !!

10. Sorry Owen, I wasn't directing my reply to you - just tossing in my 2-cents for the original poster...

Gary

11. Its one of my favorite "macro" lenses, and its nice to have a portable 420mm f5.6 lens (+tc14e) that you can hike with for miles and miles. I think its one of Nikon's finest creations.

12. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    I've owned and sold the 80-400VR. Very good IQ, quite light for the range and the VR was nice, but focusing was just too slow. If the rumors of a 100-500 AFS VR were to come true I'd be one of the first in line.

13. I bought the 80-400VR as my walk/around hiking lens for the best mix of reach, IQ and VR. I know the focusing has been criticized as being slow, but to tell you the truth I find it to be quite acceptable for most things on my D200. The focus limiter can help in the right situations. Of course I wouldn't think about using this lens for BIF, although I've seen others get amazingly good results from fast sports action in good light.

I too, would love to see a 100-500 AFS VR, but if it's anywhere near the price of the 200-400, I'd rather put the money towards a fast AFS VR prime in the 400mm+ range. On the other hand, if its priced near what I paid for the 80-400VR, I'll be bummed out!

Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2007
  14. I too have the 70-200 with 1.4 and 1.7 TCs, as well as the AF-S 300/4 (no 500mm though! :smile:) . I have absolutely no problem rationalizing both lenses. :biggrin:

Sure, before I acquired the 300, I was using the TCs on the zoom much more than now (now it's pretty much only I have one lens with me, but not the other), but the IQ is no match, the short minimum focus distance is no match either, and the 300 is a perfect hand-holding lens for me, in good light. It does 420/5.6 very well, and in a pinch (monopod/tripod), it can do 500/6.8 as well, but I am sure that your 500 does much better (in focusing speed and IQ), and with a 1.5 stops advantage to boot!

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

first of all i hate tripods and monopods and all that...just too much work for me and tends to take the fun out of things...but diff strokes ..;-)).......if i were u i would sell it. the VR with TC should give u the same results and u have the versitality of a zoom (however u spell that, lol) .......;-))

16. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Thanks for all the (diverse) responses

There certainly wasn't unanimity in the responses and that reflects the difficult nature of the decision. I've decided that, given the other lenses in my kit, the 300 won't be seeing much action and it's too expensive a piece to keep in a bag. So I've decided to sell it.

Thanks again for your reponses. They helped.

17. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  18. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Actually, I hadn't, but I'm glad you pointed it to me. The nice thing about this place is that you can try various lenses at virtually no risk. The small losses incurred by buying and then reselling a quality used lens are an inexpensive price to pay for the opportunity to sample the wares.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.