Why So Much D50 Bashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I would be mentally healthier if I didn't read the DPR D70/D50 Forum. But, occasionally I learn something there.

Before rational people discover the Cafe, the DPR Forum seems to be the place to start out. But, I've noticed a great deal of D50 bashing in favor of the D70/D70s models there.

I'm wondering if I really goofed buying the D50, but I did look at both the 70s and the 50 and felt more at home with the smaller form factor. My only complaint is that the 18-70 DX lens would have been better to get with the D50 body, but I understand Nikon's thinking on the 18-55. I just don't like the pathetic manual focus ring on this lens.

I know most people here will be using the 70, 70s, or more expensive models for pro work, but has Nikon made a good camera in the D50?

Real Name
Chris
I've never touched one, but I'm sure the D50 is a fine camera, especially considering the price! On DPR, folks are much more defencive of their camera choice than we are here. Heck, when the D70 came out everyone insisted on splitting the DSLR forum so 'those rank tyros' wouldn't bug us with "how do I change focal length" type questions. Turns out there have been as many of those from new D2x owners and that the D70 forum folk are some of the best photographers there.

So remember, even among all of the gear talk... it's the picture that counts.

Cameras are tools and even the old box cameras would take good images. The more expensive the tool the more gadgets it has on it and some like to brag that they have the best (D70 vs. D50). Personally I would rather shoot good images than worry about which tool I had. It is true that some of the "gadgets" make it easier to capture a particular image but many never learn to use all the gadgets they have now. If you are happy with your D50 I would forget the bashing that goes on with some of the other forums. Get out there and take some fantastic pictures with what you have.

Just to prove my point, I just tumbled onto FV (flash value) lock yesterday. It is a useful gadget on a camera that I have owned for 5 or 6 months now and I didn't even know it was there.

D

dbirdsong

I have a friend over on DPR in the Kodak forum that is always reminding people it isn't the camera that takes the picture it is the person with the camera.
If those people that are bashing the D50 could afford the D2X they would be bashing the D70.

I would love a D2hs or a D2X, but I don't have the funds for one so I am very happy with my 2 D70's.
BTW the only reason I didn't buy a D50 body instead of getting a second D70 one was because I had sold a lens and had the money , I got the D70 used off of Ebay for less than the D50 body and the D50's weren't due out for another 6 weeks.
I like the camera.

Smack dab between the Wolverines and the Spartans
You got a great camera in the D50! The most important thing is that it feels right to you, so you'll actually use it. I debated long and hard between the D70 and the D50. I ended up purchasing the D70 just before the D50 was released. I went with it because I know myself too well, and I know I'd always wonder if I was missing out by not having all of the features of the D70...and if my life ever calms down a bit, I may just get to learn about all of those features :lol:

If you're happy with the D50 and you're out there shooting and getting pictures you love, don't let those goons with the big chip on their shoulder make you feel bad about your decision. I lurk over at dpr occasionally, and I really don't understand the D50 bashing that goes on there. The whole "my camera is better than your camera" dynamic is beyond me. The D50 is a wonderful camera, and had I waited and purchased it, I may not have had quite as steep a learning curve as I've had with the D70. No regrets here though, and you shouldn't have them either!

You probably chose the D50 at least in part because of its price. Would you have regretted spending the extra money that you decided was unnecessary?

Aside from the way you actually operate the camera, I think the image quality is pretty much the same as the D70. If one day you find yourself trying to do something with the D50 that you can't do, or can't easily do, then you might look at moving to something else. If you are new to photography, to digital, or even just new to Nikon, the D50 is a perfect choice. It's also a perfect budget camera. Don't forget the output is the same as you'll get from the D70, after finally clicking the shutter.

It's reasonable to expect you may want more options as you grow with it, but you'll know when that time comes, and you'll have the experience of knowing exactly what options are worth spending your money on.

I have bought and sold so many cameras in my time. But I can tell you that most people with fancy expensive cameras never use or even learn so many of its functions. Hell, I'm still confused about all the auto-focus options: focus tracking, single mode, continuous, closest subject priority between 11 sensors, any combination of 5 different settings (some of which might even cancel out!) and blah blah. Every once in a while I open my manual to see if any of it makes any more sense to me than it did the last time. It usually doesn't. I just find a few modes that work for me and usually stick with it.

Bottom line is that to buy any of the higher end cameras you need one of 2 things: Either a somewhat disposable income, or enough knowledge about those extra features to know why you would want to have them.

If you don't feel good about your D50 then you probably won't feel as confident shooting photography with it. But if you can be settled about it, you'll know when its time to look at other options.

Now go out and shoot something.

Use the attitude that I do: my camera is the best camera there is - FOR ME!!! Make your decision, and then pay no attention to any bashing, or trolls trying to get you going. I know my camera is the best there is, for what I want, for what I wanted to pay, for my use, for my style and for the pics I want to accomplish. That's all the criteria you need. What camera did you want, and are you getting the shots you want? By the way, if you're not getting the shots you want out of your camera, dollars to donuts it's the guy behind the viewfinder, not the equipment in front of the eye. Study a few photographers, ask them questions about their style, etc and learn more. That's what I did and I'm really enjoying my camera.

Pay not attention, get that camera out and get some pictures taken, plain and simple. Don't waste your energy on the nay-sayers.

N

nfoto

"Bashing" can sometimes be just telling an unpopular truth.

I'm currently reviewing the D50 and can say I'm very unhappy with the camera. This goes both for the image quality and its handling. The only pleasant surprise so far is that it can record UV images.

A camera can be simplified too much. In my opion this has happened with D50. I do understand that many people will, in contrast, find the high degree of automation a welcome feature. It all depends on your needs.

Sheesh, I want a D50! I hate lugging around my D2H cameras around, that's why I picked up a coolpix 4600! Sometimes being discreet is the best policy. :)

triangular said:
You probably chose the D50 at least in part because of its price. Would you have regretted spending the extra money that you decided was unnecessary?

No, but I'll explain my thinking. I purchased a Panasonic FZ20 as my first digital camera and found its EVF and poor low-light performance intolerable. So, having used a Nikon SLR for many years and trusting Nikon's quality, I was fairly sure I wanted to get a Nikon DSLR. I had checked out the D70, but didn't like its heft and weight. Then out came the D70s, basically the same body, and I took a second look. Still felt like the body with 18-70 attached was heavy. Remember, I had been using a very light weight FZ20.

I think it was Goldilocks who said "this one is just right." Well, when I picked up the D50, it felt great. I also liked the Canon 20D, but didn't really want to spend $1500 or get started with Canon.

I was willing and able to spend $1200 on the D70s, if it hadn't felt so clumsy to me. But, I do miss having a front command dial and LCD light. DOF hasn't really mattered much to me in the past. I guess the constant barrage of D70/70s people advising to go with the D70 or D70s has made me wonder. But, if you just focus on cost, I did buy the D50 kit for a good price--about $760 after a sale and bonus coupon at Circuit City.

If I buy the 18-70 lens, which is much better, albeit heavier lens, then the cost savings over the D70s is negated. Add $340 for the 18-70 from B&H.

Anyway, that was the thinking at the time.

Vandyu said:
I've noticed a great deal of D50 bashing in favor of the D70/D70s models there.

The d70 forum is populated by young people, and we know how cruel kids can be. And there's a large number of gearheads on the dpr forums who seem to take more satisfaction in the price and status of their gear than in the pictures they produce.

I've taken about 50,000 pictures with digital cameras over the past 4 years, and when I look back at my favorites, there's absolutely no correlation between them and the gear used. Here's a few of my favorites.

20132411.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 14049
View attachment 14050
View attachment 14051
View attachment 14052

The first 2 were taken with the Coolpix 995, and the last 3 with the Coolpix 5700. Many measurebators look down their noses at those old digicams, and disdainfully categorize them as point and shoot cameras, but they don't put down those pictures. Your mission is to make compositions that will elicit an involuntary wow from viewers, not to impress them with how much money you spent on your gear.

I'm wondering if I really goofed buying the D50

Personally, I think the d70/18-70 is a better value proposition, but I've seen some images from the d50 that lead me to believe Nikon has improved the WB from earlier generations. The key point is, it'll be a long time, if ever, before you'll outgrow the d50. It's not going to hold you back at all.

I know most people here will be using the 70, 70s, or more expensive models for pro work, but has Nikon made a good camera in the D50?

You bet! Now go take some pictures, and learn how to get the best out of it.

Uncle Frank wrote:
Your mission is to make compositions that will elicit an involuntary wow from viewers, not to impress them with how much money you spent on your gear.

Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow!

What can I say but you have a great eye for what makes a wonderful photographic work of art.

Thanks for sharing these with me.

Working at a photo retailer, I get the benefit of playing around with all the cameras that we get shipped to us via our warehouse. When I first heard about Nikon releasing the D50 and the features it had, I immediately told myself that it was a 'watered down' version of the D70. I didn't read too many on-line reviews, because I wanted to draw my own conclusions by testing it out myself. Finally we recieved the D50 in one of our shipments. I was the first one to take one out of the box and play around with it. I was quite impressed with the quality (which I knew wouldn't be an issue), and the features of the camera.

Now, I didn't really like how it felt in my hands (and I have relatively smalls hands to begin with), so I thought that it could be a struggle with some people who have bigger hands. I took quite a few sample pictures around the store and outside, and from then on the camera just grew on me. Anyone that comes into my store looking at DSLR's, the D50 is the first camera I pull out. Thusfar, I have only sold one, but the customer who I sold it to absoultely loves it. He comes in at least once a week to print out his pictures and show me.

Overall, I really think this is a very good camera. It's probably the perfect camera for anyone with a mid range P&S who wants to take that step up into DSLR's.

Uncle Frank you hit the nail on the head. It's not just the camera, it's also the guy or gal behind it too. By the way, those are stunning images.

I don't know why some people feel that they have to denegrate someone elses choice in cameras, or anything else for that matter. Maybe I shouldn't say this but I've almost dropped completely out of photography, after over 40 years in it, because when I first switched to a dslr and started 'attending' the forums on DPReview dedicated to dslrs, I let this sort of immature sniping sour me on even staying on camera forums of any type...... almost.
That was an error on my part, so don't you let this kind of rhetoric bother you. It doesn't matter one iota what kind of camera a person uses, it only matters about their skill in using it. As others have said, it does matter if the camera you're using won't do what you need it to do. That's when it's time to move up.... or over.
Out of the thousands of digital images I've made in the last 5 years, one of my favorites was taken about a year ago with the first digital camera I bought in, I believe 1999, and still have..... the Nikon 990
35058172.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and I still use it on occasion. I'm sure the D50 is a fine camera and if it fits you, then thats more than likely the one you should have.
Don't get me wrong, there are several very fine groups on DPReview, the Nikon Talk Forum... the Retouching Forum, those two spring to mind. They're not all bad apples... :)
Jarrell

DPR does have some good info on some of its forums. But really pick any brand of camera and go to that forum and there is bashing and it goes on and on. I simply got tired of reading the same stuff over and over. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Mine is better and all that! It will never end.

So, Enjoy your D50. Get everything you can out of it. And there is much to explore with it. I have a D70s and I know I have a long ways to go with it.All comes down to how creative you are anyway and what you like and want you want to do with it and if your target audience loves your pics then there ya go.

So do not fret and go take many pictures and post away.

Jarrell said:
Don't get me wrong, there are several very fine groups on DPReview, the Nikon Talk Forum... the Retouching Forum, those two spring to mind. They're not all bad apples... :)
Jarrell

Fantastic image. A man full of character and the wisdom of his years. I remember the Nikon Coolpix 900 series cameras. They were great and innovative with the rotating lens. You are quite right about many good forums being out there. The Panasonic forum, for the most part, is very good. Many helpful people. But, like the Nikon D70/D50, a few knuckle brains have begun to make it tedious for everyone.

I'm amazed!!

nfoto said:
"Bashing" can sometimes be just telling an unpopular truth.

I'm currently reviewing the D50 and can say I'm very unhappy with the camera. This goes both for the image quality and its handling.

I hate to disagree with such a respected member of the photographic community, but I'm so surprised at your comments! I think the D50 is a wonderful light travel camera at a great price. With virtually noiseless images at ISO 1600 that my D2X certainly can't deliver. An example I posted (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=14701562)

Ok, In cheapy silver plastic it aint so great, but in black it's just a nicely made as the D70 and I prefer the image quality. It has enough settings for me - I can do manual, etc, I shoot Raw so the WB can be altered in Post. In fact the WB is excellent! I really enjoy using this tool and I think Nikon have a winner.

Also Bjorn, it's only fair to consider that you can buy SIX D50 bodies for the price of a D2X -- and so you have to evaluate it on that basis.

Also, I'd never have bought the kit lens - but the body attached to some good glass gives great results.

I think its a wonderful camera - maybe you got a bad one? Sometimes I just don't want to lug the D2x kit everywhere..and I challenge anyone to get ISO1600 results that are that noise free from the D2X without serious hard work...if at all.

Peter

I think I can see where Bjorn is coming from....I've seen lots of results from the D50 and I've handled one.....It is a consumer camera. Built very well for one yes, and producing nice results, but he's looking at it as a pro with years and years of experience. The D50 is catering to the point and shoot user who is moving up, or the amateur who isn't ready for a D70 yet, or someone who needs a really light and cheap backup but not a D70.
It lacks a lot of the pro features he uses, has way more in camera processing than the D70 etc. etc, and it produces images that are closer to Canon's than I would care to admit....more plasticky than usual due to the extra NR and p&s type out of box results. Its body is also far from the rugged cameras he is used to, and its controls are oversimplified and crippled. It just doesn't suit many of his needs.
From another perspective however, even to me, the D50 is one heck of a camera. It can do a lot for such a small body and it sure looks nice. It has a nice feel to it and has great pictures out of the box. Lower high iso noise. If I wanted a backup to my D70, I'd get one. An excellent lightweight camera for when you don't want to post process so much.

Two perspectives, one camera. I'm getting to the point where I can understand where both sides are coming from :) I

Vandyu said:
I know I would be mentally healthier if I didn't read the DPR D70/D50 Forum. But, occasionally I learn something there.

Before rational people discover the Cafe, the DPR Forum seems to be the place to start out. But, I've noticed a great deal of D50 bashing in favor of the D70/D70s models there.

I'm wondering if I really goofed buying the D50, but I did look at both the 70s and the 50 and felt more at home with the smaller form factor. My only complaint is that the 18-70 DX lens would have been better to get with the D50 body, but I understand Nikon's thinking on the 18-55. I just don't like the pathetic manual focus ring on this lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/

The Nikon D50 seems to have better in camera processing and better high ISO performance.

I am only turned off by the D50 because it lacked some features that the D70 had (such as TTL Commander mode flash) and that it used SD flash memory instead of CF.

Personally, I learn very fast and like making use of all the extra features a camera has. You don't need many features though to take good pictures.

Going with the D50 already puts you into the Nikon system. You can always buy a very nice new lens down the road, so don't let the 18-55mm kit lens bother you.

Ultimately, the camera is only as good as it's user. The D50 should be capable of very nice pictures. Enjoy the D50 as much as you can, and a few years later down the road you will have a better idea of what features you want in your new camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom