Why they're called Cattle Egrets

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Part of the Viera wetlands is surrounded by pasture with roaming cows. I never really noticed them before but did on my last visit. This first one is what caught my attention. I literally just raised the camera and shot as this ballet was occurring. I wished I didn't cut the cow's head off though. :(

[​IMG]

Notice in this one how the cow is sticking his tongue out at me! :shock:
    [​IMG]

As the cows graze, apparently they cause the bugs to jump. The cattle egrets follow snatching up the bugs. They do the same thing when the grass/field is being cut by a mower.
    [​IMG]

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Very cool photos...

3. Well thanks to you now we know. Good shots Kevin.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK Kevin, so why are they not called dancing ballerina cattle egrets?? :lol: :p :D

Cool shots. 8)

5. Neat shots, Kevin. I especially like the first one. It looks like they're having a pow-wow on the cows back :) :).

6. Kevin you should go back there and take head shots of the cow they make very interresting subject, in the second one the color of the cow is very nice.

7. Nice captures. Amazing how different animals co-exist very well. Haven't seen a one-horned cow before - interesting.

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Which is why the cattle without bugs all sing the old cabaret song...

...wait for it....

"Je ne egret rein"

<ducking quickly out of the Cafe for a little while>

John P.

9. Sorry for taking so long to reply. Thought I had a few times already. Oh well, thanks eveyone for the nice words!

These cattle egret are so common around here that you almost take them for granted. I, however, gained new respect for them after having seen them in breeding plumage at the Rookery. They're still kinda goofy the way they act in the fields, bobbin their heads and all but where there's a cow, there's an egret!