Why this forum is such a special place

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike mac, Jul 22, 2005.

1. I just want to take a minute and let folks know why this is such a special spot on the net.
    First a word of thanks to faneix for pointing out the great deal on web hosting. After a lot of dreaded red X's I couldn't take it anymore and want to start moving away from Pbase.

Enter Paul "Monty Dog", Paul was gracious enough to "help" or should I say setup my new web site. After several PM's from Paul with links to software and instructions I tried and failed miserably at getting the site up, Paul stepped in a was kind enough to donate a good portion of time to set it up for me and make it idiot proof. I would like to thank Paul very much for his effort and time and let other know here what a wonderful person he is.

It is amazing to me that here is a man thousand of miles away taking the time to help someone out he has never met with or really corresponded with prior to this, a class act all the way.
    Of closure none of this would be possible with out this great forum so again my thanks to Patrick and Frank for starting and maintaining this great haven on the net.
    Here is a link to the new site www.mmcatee.com

2. Well, if you don't know HTML it's obvious you know photography. Wonderful pictures at your new site!

Congrats!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes,
    Paul is a very generous and knowledgable gentlemen.

He offered to help me set it up also. I would love to, the sites look great and yes Mike I have seen yours and Steves and Pauls.

Super..

Again thanks Paul for just being you :>))))))

We are very lucky to have you here.

4. This is the best photo site on the net! Seriously, everyone here is top notch!

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

As you have found, Paul tries to pretend that he's a meany, but he's really just a big pussycat. 8) Seriously, Paul is a perfect example of what makes the Cafe a great place. Knowledgeable, and willing to help. What more could you ask for in a club member? Your new web site is great, and the images there are up to your usual high standards.

Jonathan, you are another example of why the Cafe has been successful to this point. Young, brash, talented, and well, different. You keep the Cafe fresh and honest. We are lucky to have members like you.

Gale, well, you are unique. I call people like you truth tellers. No guile at all, you just speak your mind. Any successful community needs people like you.

What I'm saying is that the Cafe is not about the founders; it is about the members. Without all of you, we would just be a small group of photography hobbyists in North Alabama. :lol:

6. Ditto in regards to Paul. He helped me out with my web page. Thanks again Paul.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Same here, Montydog created my own webpage for me...Twice!

We're not sure what went wrong, but something went haywire, and he had to start all over again. Major kudos to Paul! While I do wish the People section was busier, since that's where my greatest interest lies at the moment, I do think this is the greatest site on the web for photography, and pleasant, civil ppl.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve, your new site is great!! I'm very impressed and not a little envious. 8)

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thnx Flew,

now all I gotta do is copy 1300 images over from bpase, and I'm bagging those guys. :shock: I owe it all to Montydog!

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    WOW...what a great site, Steve. You should be very happy with that format..look's awesome!

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Frank, it's stil lin it's infancy,

and has certain quirky idiosyncrasies I'd like to get ironed out, but hopefully, I can eventually severe my dependency on pbase.

12. Mike and Steve, These are good looking sites with great photography on display, guys! :p

<rant>
    I could never understand why so many people are sticking with Pbase with the incessant problems when there are so many alternatives: I'm using smugmug myself and have been happy with it...
    </rant>

Anyway, I too would like to command Mr. Paul "Montydog" for his contributions to the Cafe and helping members in need: he generously helped me too, a while back, before the Cafe days... He is a true gentleman, and a British one at that (if I may say so), complete with humor of the same kind. Thanks for being who you are and being there, Paul! ;-) :lol:

Thanks to all other Cafe members too, who make this place a great virtual (and sometimes real, when people actually meet) hang-out. :D :lol:

13. Geez-Loueezzzzeeeeeee=PULEEEZZZZZZ, what is this? The "Pat Ourselves and Paul on the Back Club" or something???? I just DARE you to spend a whole day with this Paul guy and you'll find out what he is REALLY like.....

Well, dang, that would, frankly, suit me just fine :wink: .

First off, to Paul, a kinder and more generous host I could not have had the day we spent together in England.

To the Founders of the site, whether you like it or not, you folks DO deserve and get some Extra-Special-Kudos. Not because you are any different, well Frank sure is :wink: , than any of the rest of us, but specifically because you ARE like us, in the philosophy of what a good place would be on the net. You gave us the space and a place.

To everybody else hereabouts, even including ME for crying out loud :oops: , we are the folks who have the responsibility to keep it this way. And it is only by participation and giving where we can, as Paul has done, that it will stay this way.

And lastly, after looking at those sites, Paul, we need to talk :lol: :lol:

14. I was thinking of joining a site like http://www.sportsshooter.com but for some reason I find all the pros on there sorta anal. I remember when I first started out going through official channels (now I make my own photo access :p ), and some of the old timers gave me a hard time and were a bunch of drama queens. Though there were a handful of shooters that actually helped me out and didn't give me hard time about it.

Anyways, I think the point I'm making is that the cafe is populated with people who want to advance their appreciation of photography and are willing to help each other out as opposed to disscussing issues that are not aimed toward positive growth!

I'm hungry as well!