Why Two Copies Of Same Glass

I can understand having two or three copies of the same body, but why please tell me why anyone would want two or three copies of the same glass. The only thing I can think of is...big wedding shooters have several copies to lend out to their assistants but other than that.... WHY?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gary Mayo

I collect glass. I have several copies of the same thing for no good reason except I collect. If I see something for sale too cheap, I get another.

In rare cases I use the same glass on more than one body, but that is almost never.

Some people hoard glass.

There have been axamples of certain lenses being snapped up by the same people to keep in their shelves. Apparently as spares especially for hard to find items.

there's help for people like this...but they first must accept that they have a problem

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea... but come on two of the same...
There's a guy here on the cafe that has TWO 200-400 VR and TWO 200 f2 lenses! He's not a pro either. Now that is insane! But yes most of us do have glass problems.

J

JimboJones

I can see the need for a backup copy of a certain lens if you are a professional and on a shoot. What if your main lens which you use 80% of the time fails? It would be good to have a backup copy if thats going to make or break the shoot but other than that it seems pointless.

say you have a 85mm f1.8 and a f1.4 theres no need to keep the 1.8 around when the 1.4 is the better lens.

say you have a 85mm f1.8 and a f1.4 theres no need to keep the 1.8 around when the 1.4 is the better lens.
Sometimes it's handy to have a smaller/lighter/cheaper version of a larger lens. You may want to travel light, or use a smaller less obtrusive lens, or conditions may be too dangerous to risk the more expensive lens.

D

drjiveturkey

Sometimes it's handy to have a smaller/lighter/cheaper version of a larger lens.
Yup. When I was shooting Canon, I had a 24-70 2.8 & 70-200 2.8 IS as my low light package, and a 24-105 f4 & 70-200 f/4 IS as my light weight package.

G

Gary Mayo

If you can eat it, it is called hoarding. If it is not edible, it is called a collection. lol

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom