Why Two Copies Of Same Glass

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by panama, Jul 3, 2008.

1. I can understand having two or three copies of the same body, but why please tell me why anyone would want two or three copies of the same glass. The only thing I can think of is...big wedding shooters have several copies to lend out to their assistants but other than that.... WHY?:confused: 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  2. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

I collect glass. I have several copies of the same thing for no good reason except I collect. If I see something for sale too cheap, I get another.

In rare cases I use the same glass on more than one body, but that is almost never.

3. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Some people hoard glass.

There have been axamples of certain lenses being snapped up by the same people to keep in their shelves. Apparently as spares especially for hard to find items.

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Surrogate _________

5. Say what?:confused: 

6. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

some people are collectors some are horders?

7. Are there horders here?

8. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    there's help for people like this...but they first must accept that they have a problem

9. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    I think We All Have A Glass Problem!
    I'll Be The First To Admit.......I Need Help!

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    too weird for me
    i want stuff i will use and always the best but just one will do

11. Yea... but come on two of the same...
    There's a guy here on the cafe that has TWO 200-400 VR and TWO 200 f2 lenses! He's not a pro either. Now that is insane! But yes most of us do have glass problems.

12. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

I can see the need for a backup copy of a certain lens if you are a professional and on a shoot. What if your main lens which you use 80% of the time fails? It would be good to have a backup copy if thats going to make or break the shoot but other than that it seems pointless.

say you have a 85mm f1.8 and a f1.4 theres no need to keep the 1.8 around when the 1.4 is the better lens.

13. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Sometimes it's handy to have a smaller/lighter/cheaper version of a larger lens. You may want to travel light, or use a smaller less obtrusive lens, or conditions may be too dangerous to risk the more expensive lens.

14. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

Yup. When I was shooting Canon, I had a 24-70 2.8 & 70-200 2.8 IS as my low light package, and a 24-105 f4 & 70-200 f/4 IS as my light weight package.

15. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    <-- guilty as sin on both counts :redface:

16. I still feel guilty about buying an AF 20mm 2.8 D while I still own an AIS 20mm 2.8 MF version. :redface:

17. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Stereo... Stereo...

18. APandya

APandya

Jul 2, 2008
    NJ
    hmm, I suppose I too am guilty, but my duplicates are a variety of AF and nonAF

19. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

If you can eat it, it is called hoarding. If it is not edible, it is called a collection. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.