Why use pBase instead of Flickr?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sauk, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Anyone have some opinions on this matter? Would there be a reason to use pbase instead of flickr?

Or are both the same

2. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    I really like the community feel to flickr. I've met many nice people on there, and I have learned a thing or two from them. The message boards they have are really nice too. When I need a more professional look to my work, I would start a smugmug.

3. I use pbase and like it , but I guess flickr would be OK also.

4. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    Like I said about smugmug, pbase offers a more professional look to it.

5. rocksgirl

rocksgirl Guest

Pbase was easier for my family (mostly non-techie) to maneuver. I setup trials at several places and everyone picked the pbase. I still have a flickr account, but it's more for learning.

6. PBase indeed presents a more professional gallery of one's images as opposed to Flickr's "Photo Stream." I use pBase, Smugmug and Zenfolio and really dislike Flickr. PBase was designed by photographers for photographers, unlike Flickr, which IMHO has more of a sharing-snapshots-social-networking feel to it.

7. I can't stand Flickr's social networking, I don't post things online so 1000's of people can post great shot! join my group. Post 1 award 5 favorite 2 or whatever other crazy BS they have. Flickr could be a full time job if you could get paid for it.

I only have one because of peer pressure from my family to have a Flickr account 'because everyone else has one'

i'd probably go with smugmug myself if I ever decide to seriously showcase my work

8. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Yeah right now I have zenfolio, flickr and smugmug.

Both zen and smug are coming up on a year so I will have to make a decision to pay one of them.

I sell my images so I need one of them, but for sharing online I wouldn't mind using pbase if it was worth it.

I think I get more selling my images by using zen then when using smug so I will probably stay with zen.

9. I have been with Pbase for the past four years. I like the professionalism of their site and also the ability it gives me to customize my own gallery to my liking.

10. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    i asked this on another forum, but is there a way to export directly from adobe bridge to pbase? That would be really nice if there is.

11. Don't know... but there is a plug-in to export directly from Lightroom to Smugmug! :wink::smile:

12. I have not tried others aside from Flickr. I did see one thing that took place on one of my Flickr groups that may be harder to pull off on other sites. Seems a bunch of folks on some of the New Mexico groups got together to explore some seldom visited badlands near Rio Rancho. If I lived in my beloved NM I would have loved to have gone on this with others.

One thing I have noticed is that it can be a haven for glory and praise seekers. They will be the ones listed that belong to about 200 groups to increase their chances of 'attaboys'

glenn